Coffee machines are super appliances to have in your kitchen but sometimes they can get a little bit unwieldy and difficult to store, especially if you are tight on counter space.
That’s why we’ve compiled this list of the best under cabinet coffee makers that fit really snugly inside or below your kitchen cabinets, saving you space and still allowing you to make good coffee.
The alternative is to get a smaller coffee making device like a small French press or an Aeropress, but with those, you’ll still need a separate hot water kettle(you could just heat water up on the stove, but it will take a lot longer).
Aside from homes, offices and commercial spaces can also be cramped so an under cabinet coffee maker is useful to have in those cases, too.
Just because you may be tight on space does not mean you can’t have a good coffee maker. However, you will need to sacrifice some things like capacity and brew options, as you can’t always have something that fits a specific location but still has all the features of a bigger coffee maker.
With that said, there’s two dedicated under cabinet coffee makers that we’ll talk about, and a few other models that are pretty tiny and with some clever placement you can use it like an under cabinet coffee maker.
- 1 Best Under Cabinet Coffee Makers
- 1.1 1. Black & Decker SpaceMaker SCM2000BD Under Cabinet Coffee Maker
- 1.2 2. BrewMatic Built In Coffee Maker
- 1.3 3. Brew Express BE-110 wall mounted coffee maker
- 1.4 4. Nostalgia BSET300AQ Retro Series 3 in 1 Breakfast Station
- 1.5 5. Chulux Single Serve Coffee Maker
- 1.6 6. Elite Cuisine ECT-819 Toaster and Coffee Maker
- 1.7 7. MaxiMatic 3-in-1 breakfast station
- 1.8 8. Hamilton Beach 46205 mini coffee maker
- 2 How to store a coffee maker under a cabinet
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
Best Under Cabinet Coffee Makers
1. Black & Decker SpaceMaker SCM2000BD Under Cabinet Coffee Maker
Black & Decker actually makes a few different variations of this very coffee maker, the SCM1000BD and the SCM850BD. There are not really any major differences between the models aside from the size and the kind of carafe used.
The Black & Decker SCM2000BD we’re looking at here uses a thermal carafe. The machine itself is pretty aesthetically pleasing, with aluminum accents and a sleek design.
It has a spill-free pour button, and it is fully programmable with the digital buttons. The filter basket is reusable, which is a nice touch – you don’t have to keep buying new paper filters.
Learn how to brew the best coffee of your life
Sign up now to get started with our easy to follow and easy to implement guides. You'll never want to drink instant coffee again!
As we said above, the thermal carafe is a good addition as it helps maintain the temperature of the coffee for a very long time. It’s got a decent capacity, being able to hold 8 cups of coffee.
The carafe is designed in a way that coffee will not spill easily. There is a little “serve” button that you use to open the spout and pour out the coffee.
Like most coffee makers, the SCM2000BD has a built in water reservoir and auto shut off.
However, it’s not all roses when it comes to this under cabinet coffee maker.
Even though it looks great and saves on sometimes tight space, there have been reports of carafes being defective, leaking or not really keeping coffee hot for long enough.
Positives are of course the space saving feature, and it generally brews a decent cup of coffee, provided you’re using good coffee grounds at the correct consistency!
Installation is where it gets a little dicey, unfortunately. You may find that installation is not as straightforward as you expected, and you’ll have to do some modifications to your cabinet bottom to get the machine to fit and mount properly.
There have also been some complaints of leaky carafes, but interestingly enough, that’s actually due to a bit of a design blunder by Black & Decker.
The carafe has a maximum capacity of 8 cups, and if you overfill, you’ll naturally be susceptible to leaks. However, the 8 cup mark is about halfway in the carafe – not further up as you would expect! That’s why it’s easy to overfill the carafe if you’re not careful.
If you’re tight on space or you want a decent coffee maker for your RV that still leaves you with valuable counter space, then the SCM2000BD is a definite option to consider. The fact that the carafe clips into the coffee maker will also make it safe from any jerks and bumps during a rough patch of road if you mount it in your RV.
Remember, get this machine if your priority is saving space!
Overall, this is a pretty costly machine and you’ll have to make a decision if the hefty price tag is worth the gained counter space or not.
- Cord management hook
- Auto shut off. Please refer the User Manual before use
- Removable water reservoir
- QuickTouch programming buttons
- Plastic, Stainless Steel and Black finish
2. BrewMatic Built In Coffee Maker
Although the BrewMatic has not been available for a while, I still decided to include it in this post as it’s a really cool design and perhaps it will become available again soon!
The BrewMatic is a sleeker, more compact under cabinet coffee maker than even the Black & Decker SCM2000BD. Instead of having a carafe that clips onto the coffee maker, this coffee maker brews directly into a travel mug (or jug).
There’s no water reservoir either, as the coffee maker is directly plumbed. You’ll have to make note of this when you choose a place to install it, as it will need to be close to a water line so you can plumb it.
The compactness of this model just can’t be beaten, I think. Aside from that, it’s pretty standard. Buttons let you control the time and amount of coffee, and hot water will percolate down through the filter into whatever you’re using to catch the coffee.
You don’t have to use a travel mug or jug: if you’re brewing a single cup, you can just place a cup or mug under the machine and that will work just as well. Just make sure you align it correctly, otherwise you’ll have coffee all over your counter!
- Color: Brushed Stainless Steel
- Size: 7"H x 13"W x 7.5"D
- Brew directly into a travel mug
- Connects directly to water line
- Includes a digital clock, automatic brew time and three programmable volume buttons
Note: The two models above are the only two comparatively reliable models that we were able to find that truly mount under your cabinet.
If you’re looking for something that will save space, here are some of our favorite picks for space saving coffee makers. We’ve listed them here because the underlying need behind an under cabinet coffee maker is essentially space.
So if you don’t like the two options above, you can still get a small profile coffee maker that you can adjust easily even on a tight counter.
3. Brew Express BE-110 wall mounted coffee maker
If an under the counter option does not work for you, the next best thing to try is a recessed coffee maker. This kind of coffee maker will fit inside your kitchen wall, saving you quite a bit of countertop real estate in front of the machine that you can use.
A regular coffee machine may end up taking most of the counter space and not leaving much.
The Brew Express BE-110 leaves just around 4 inches of the machine exposed, with the rest inside your wall.
Of course, this means you’ll have to cut a hole in your kitchen wall and you’re pretty much making it permanent. That’s the trade-off for counter space, I guess.
Aside from that, the BE-110 shines as a coffee maker. It is directly plumbed so you don’t need to worry about filling the reservoir(or indeed emptying it). You can adjust the amount of coffee to brew, as well as program it on a timer so you can wake up to a freshly brewed cup of coffee.
The BE-110 is meant to be a kind of permanent addition into your home, so the higher price point is kind of justified, considering that you will expect it to last you for at least a few years.
The manufacturer has rated the machine for thousands of brew cycles so you should not have any issues in that department.
Finally, the main disadvantage of this machine is that it requires a fair bit of DIY just to install the machine. You’ll have to cut a hole in the wall, mount the machine properly, and of course plumb it to your water line.
A good time to pick up this machine is when you’re buying a newly built home or planning to renovate your kitchen.
- Auto-Fill: it's self-filling so there is no more water mess
- Hot Water on Demand: means continuous brewing with no recovery time issues; Just keep brewing, there's no wait time for the water to heat up
- 10-cup Thermal Carafe: Easy to clean, functional and beautiful, keeping beverages hot
- Adjustable Cup Selector- Select from a single mug, half or a full carafe
- Reliable: Designed to last for years; Tested for several thousand cycles and certified for commercial & residential use
4. Nostalgia BSET300AQ Retro Series 3 in 1 Breakfast Station
Since we’re on the topic of space saving appliances, the Nostalgia BSET300AQ is just brilliant. It’s not a coffee maker per se, but it’s actually a full featured breakfast station that has a coffee maker, a toaster oven, and a griddle.
The coffee maker and toaster oven are used nearly every day for most breakfasts, and the griddle is a good addition for the weekend brunch(or if you’re into skirt steak for breakfast every day!)
This is a really nice space saving option since it combines 3 appliances into a single machine. It doesn’t have the smallest footprint in the world but when you consider the amount of space these three things would take up separately, you end up saving a lot of space.
The griddle is non stick, has a lid for easy cooking, and the griddle and toaster tray can be removed for cleaning.
Compared to some of the other machines that can brew 8 cups, this machine has a bit of a smaller capacity but that’s okay. As it is, most households will brew around 4 cups or less per morning. If you have guests or need more coffee, you’ll have to brew twice.
You can brew up to four cups at a time in the coffee maker, and it brews classic dripped coffee. Remember to use the right kind of beans and grind and you’ll make decent coffee every single time.
Finally, the last huge plus point here is the price. For what it costs, you’re effectively getting 3 different appliances!
- 3-IN-1: This versatile breakfast station covers your entire morning breakfast, allowing you to make your coffee, toast and eggs all at once
- Multi-functioning toaster: The toaster oven has a 30-minute timer with a glass door and can fit Upto 4 slices of bread, a 7-inch pizza and can be used to make casseroles, cookies and other delicious meals
- 4-cup coffee maker: This coffeemaker brews Upto 4 cups at a time in minutes so you can enjoy a cup of coffee while your food cooks. Comes with a glass carafe, a coffee scoop and a reusable filter
- Family-sized griddle: The large non-stick griddle offers plenty of room to fry eggs, omelets, pancakes, sausages, bacon, hashbrowns and other breakfast foods - and comes with a glass lid
- Easy clean up: As if cooking isn't easy enough, the oven tray, wire wrack, crumb tray and nonstick griddle are removable, making cleanup a breeze
5. Chulux Single Serve Coffee Maker
The Chulux Single Serve Coffee Maker brews coffee really quickly and it’s compatible with Keurig K Cups.
It’s got a super small footprint which makes it ideal for tight spaces. The only disadvantage is that the reservoir is rather small at just 12 ounces, so you’ll have to refill after pretty much every single brew. That’s a small price to pay for the tiny size, though.
Did we mention it’s super budget friendly, too?
- 【SINGLE CUP COFFEE BREWER-12OZ】CHULUX personal coffee maker fits 1.0 and 2.0 pod coffee capsules to meet your various favour.You also can use ground coffee (refillable filter NOT included),then create your private cafe at busy or leisure time.
- 【ONE BUTTON ON/OFF OPERATION】800W heating element with fast brewing system.Our brewer with blue indicator light,also features auto shut-off preventing from overheating and keeping safe.One cup of hot brewed coffee will ready for you just within 3mins.Also can use it as a water boiler to get hot water.
- 【LIGHTWEIGHT + TRAVEL SIZE】The compact design takes up less space and make this mini brewer easy to carry anywhere,especially for business trip or limited countertop.It perfect for living room,office,apartment,meeting room and travel car.Only be used for 120V voltage.
- 【BUILT-IN RESERVOIR + DETACHABLE DRIP TRAY】The water amount you pour equal to coffee amount that flows out,ensure every fresh cup.Without any mess.The single brewer supports for standard size,or by removing drip tray for large size mug (up to 5.3" height).
- 【FOOD-APPROVED MATERIAL + EASY TO CLEAN】BPA-free material for water tank and piercing needle.Detachable filter basket and drip tray can be washed directly.Drip tray keep brew space neat and clean.For cleaning,just add water and vinegar and press button.
6. Elite Cuisine ECT-819 Toaster and Coffee Maker
The Elite Cuisine ECT-819 is a toaster and coffee maker combo that is effectively a single serve coffee maker as it can only brew one cup at a time.
Overall it is a very basic machine and does two very simple things: makes toast and makes drip coffee. You can adjust the doneness of the toast up to 7 shades of browning, but there is no scope for adjust any settings in the coffee side.
It’s pretty tiny so there is no carafe either, but it does come with a mug that you can brew directly into.
Personally, I am not a huge fan of multipurpose machines because they tend to not do either effectively – you sometimes just end up with a mediocre toaster and a mediocre coffee maker.
The only situation I’d recommend this machine in is if you need your toast and you need your coffee, but you’ve got enough space for just one machine.
- 2 Slice Cool Touch Toaster with extra wide slots for bagels and specialty breads
- 7 adjustable toast shade selector and a cool touch body with convenient cancel feature
- Self-centering guides for even toasting
- Single serve 8-oz coffeemaker
- Includes 14 oz. travel cup with lid
7. MaxiMatic 3-in-1 breakfast station
The MaxiMatic is quite similar to the other breakfast station we mentioned above. Again, I’d like to stress that you should only get these kinds of machines if you’re absolutely tight on space. The toaster oven itself is also quite small, as is the griddle.
This machine is great for an RV, and it’s also not that expensive. It’s also ideal for dorm rooms and small offices. You can pick up a croissant from the local bakery, heat it up, and enjoy it with a cup of coffee on your break.
However, if the griddle part or the coffee maker part or even the toaster oven part stops working, then you’ve lost counter space and you’re also out of an appliance. Overall, people seem to be happy with this machine so chances are low that it will stop working anytime soon.
- Included Components: Breakfast Center
- Fabric Type: Metel
8. Hamilton Beach 46205 mini coffee maker
This Hamilton Beach coffee maker brews up to 4 cups in a single go, and is quite compact at just 7 inches deep, 9 inches wide, and 14 inches tall. You can neatly tuck it away in a corner in your kitchen.
The cool thing about this machine is that the base is built on a swivel, which means you just spin the coffee maker around in place to access the water reservoir.
You have the option of 3 brew strengths, and you can also program it to brew at a specific time, so you can wake up to a fresh, hot pot of coffee.
There’s also a keep warm function but I’m not a big fan of that in general as heating the glass pot from below tends to overcook the coffee.
All in all, it’s a solid coffee maker if you’re tight on space.
- Fast, Easy filling Rotating base lets you easily access the rear water reservoir with just a quick twist
- Programmable Clock Set It up the Night Before With the Programmable Clock and Pour Yourself a Hot Cup First Thing in the Morning
- Adjustable Brewing Options 12 Cup Capacity With Bold, Regular, and 1 to 4 Cup Brewing Options
- Swing out Brew Basket With Release Button With the Touch of a Button, the Brew Basket Releases From the Front for Easy Filling of Your Favorite Grounds
- No Spill Serving Automatic Pause and Serve Lets You Grab a Cup During the Brewing Process Without Any Overflow Plus, the No Spill Pouring Spout and Nonstick Warming Plate Make for Easy, Clean Serving
How to store a coffee maker under a cabinet
In case you’re not a big fan of the choices above, there’s one other way that you can adapt any coffee maker to fit under a kitchen cabinet, and that’s by using a sliding tray like this one:
This tray is 12 inches long so you will still need to bear that in mind before getting a coffee maker to use with it. 12 inches is not that big when it comes to coffee makers, and you may find yourself relegated to using extremely compact machines even with this tray.
- EFFORTLESS USAGE - Our sliding tray will ease up your burdens by holding out all types of kitchen appliances from light to heavy ones up to 25 lbs
- VERSATILE SLIDING TRAY - Our caddy sliding shelf is perfect for coffee makers, blenders, food processors, appliances, toasters, countertop
- SUPER CONVENIENT KITCHEN APPLIANCE - Simply slide out this handy countertop tray when you need the slab and slide it back effortlessly when not needed
- PREMIUM ABS MATERIAL: - Made of durable and toxic-free ABS material, our coffee mat is super sturdy. The material is BPA free, making it absolutely safe to use for everyone
- 100% SATISFACTION SERVICE: We think you're going to love our moving caddy slider as much as we do. But in case you don't, just return it within 30 days for a full refund, no questions asked.
So there you have it. These 5 machines are meant for tight spaces and are good choices only if you’re really prioritizing space over everything else.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I get water in an under the cabinet coffee maker?
Under cabinet coffee makers have accessible water tanks that you can fill up with water. The BrewMatic coffee maker is directly plumbed but it has not been available for a while.
Can I wall mount any coffee maker?
Hypothetically, yes, as long as you leave the water reservoir accessible. Many coffee makers have water reservoirs in the back, so you can’t wall mount those.
Is an under cabinet coffee maker preferred to a regular coffee maker?
Unless you’re tight on space, I don’t recommend using an under cabinet coffee maker. They miss out on many features found in bigger coffee makers, so use these as an absolute last resort.
Last update on 2020-07-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API