Coffee cups come in a variety of sizes, usually suited to the type of beverage you are having.
Some coffee chains have their own fancy nicknames for sizes, too(I’m looking at you, Starbucks!).
If you really want to boost the coffee experience from just your regular mugs to authentic coffee servings, read on!
How many ounces In A coffee cup? how many ml?
Latte and cappuccino
Mocha and latte
Iced coffee, filter coffee
A whole lotta coffee!
The table above lists the most common sizes for coffee cups and the best coffees to enjoy in those sizes.
QUICK OVERVIEW: STANDARD COFFEE CUP SIZES (IN OZ AND ML)
|Jura Outdoor Tumbler 20 oz||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|YETI Rambler 20 oz||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|Contigo SNAPSEAL Byron||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
Espresso cup size
Espresso is a very strong preparation and is thus enjoyed in much smaller quantities – so the 4 oz espresso cup size is more than enough. If you want to be really classy about it, espresso cups are called demitasse cups.
Cappuccino cup size
A 6 oz cup size is ideal for enjoying cappuccinos. Cappuccinos are espresso shots mixed with foamed milk. Since the size of the espresso shot is standard, it’s important to control the amount of milk you use in the cappuccino, otherwise your coffee can get too milky and lose its strength, and end up being a latte.
How many ounces in a standard coffee mug
8 oz cups are awesome standard coffee mug sizes, great for a fresh preparation of your favorite filter coffee or latte. Most standard coffee mugs are indeed 8 to 10 ounces, the best size for enjoying a pot of coffee.
12 ounce cups make for great iced coffee. As it is, you’re going to need a lot of ice, which will take up a lot of volume, so the larger cup can mean you still get a good quantity of coffee!
16 ounce cups are the big leagues, for serious caffeine consumers!
The most common coffee cups, as noted above, are 8 ounces, or 227 ml. To figure out how big your favorite mug is, just fill your mug up with water all the way and tip it out into a measuring cup.
Why does the size of your cup matter?
A standard cappuccino is one shot of espresso and foamed milk. If you order a large cappuccino and don’t specify whether you want a double shot of espresso, you’re going to get more dilute coffee since there will be more milk to fill the top of your cup.
Of course, if you happen to prefer milkier coffee, then by all means, go for the larger cup with a single shot!
This also presents a really nice opportunity for you to try different combinations and see what flavors work for you.
Remember, the size is just one way of modifying the flavor – you can try a stronger, darker roast with a larger cup for a more balanced coffee, or use a smaller cup with a lighter roast to get more kick out of it.
What about for my home?
The whole shpiel above was more for ordering coffees at your local cafes. If you’re looking to buy a good cup for home, then a standard 8 oz mug should do the trick since you can enjoy cappuccinos, lattes, flat whites, and filter coffee – 8 oz is the goldilocks amount!
If you are really into espresso and considering getting an espresso machine, then I’d suggest you pick up some demitasse cups just for enhancing the espresso drinking experience.
Starbucks coffee cup sizes In Ounces
When you go to your neighborhood Starbucks, you’ll usually order a coffee sized by their fancy names: short, tall, grande, and venti.
There is no indication, however, about the coffee cup sizes that Starbucks uses in ounces. So here you go: a list of Starbucks sizes and their quantities in ounces:
Travel coffee mug sizes
You’ll find that most of the bestselling travel mugs on Amazon are quite large, 16 ounces and 20 ounces.
Presumably, this is for grabbing a hit of filter coffee for the road. Since the mugs are insulated, you can actually pour out two whole servings of coffee that will last you a lot longer!
- These Ramblers come standard with our YETI MagSlider Lid, the only drink lid that uses the power of magnets to keep your water, beer, or favorite drink on lock
- Our Ramblers are BPA-free, dishwasher safe, and have a No Sweat Design to make sure your hands stay dry
- DuraCoat is a durable coat of color that won't fade, peel, or crack through extended field use and also provide additional grip to the Rambler's exterior
- We over-engineered these double-wall insulated tumblers with an 18/8 stainless steel body, which means your drink still keeps its temperature no matter how much of a beating this cup takes
- The YETI 20 oz Rambler Tumbler stands 6 7/8 in high and has a lip diameter of 3 1/2 in. All YETI Tumblers are sized to fit in standard sized cup holders
- SNAPSEAL lid technology is leak-proof when closed
- Drinks stay hot up to 7 hours or cold up to 18 with THERMALOCK vacuum insulation
- Easy one-handed drinking with a flip of the lid
- Fits most car cup holders for a no-hassle commute
- Top-rack dishwasher-safe lid; hand-wash-only stainless steel body
- Stay Hot or Stay Cold- Retain the temperature of your chosen beverage for a prolonged period of time when you choose Jura Outdoor. Any drink that is hot, like coffee, can stay hot for up to 6 hours. Cooler drinks, (i.e. lemonade), can stay cold for up to 24 hours. The high-quality stainless steel and the double-walled insulation design ensures beverage can stay either hot or cold over time.
- Unique Lids- Features two unique lids to choose from when enjoying your beverage. A new Slider Lid is fast and simple to use. It was inspired by the millions of coffee drinkers that enjoy sipping on their drinks quickly. Also provided is the Flip Lid, which allows you to enjoy your drink safely. The tight clip seal on the Flip Lid helps prevent splashing and spilling. A Steel Straw is provided to sip on your beverages casually and a Straw Cleaner will keep your straw fresh and pristine.
- Sleek and Lightweight- Made with 100% Stainless Steel. Gently fits into your hand with an Anti-Sweat design. The 20 oz. lightweight and compact feel make it easy to fit into most car cup holders. Carry around your beverages whether out at the mall, soccer game, or park. Stay refreshed and hydrated no matter what adventure life takes you on.
- Eco-Friendly- Stop wasting and polluting with store bought plastic bottles and cups. Help save the ecosystem by using less plastic and distributing less waste across the globe by using a washable and reusable alternative to your daily beverage intake. Protect yourself and the lives of plants and animals around you by choosing Jura Outdoor. When washing, our tumbler is BPA Free so you are safe from toxins.
- Warranty- Jura Outdoor is proud to offer a Lifetime Warranty on our Jura Outdoor 20oz Tumbler.
Standard cup size
We’ve been talking a lot about cups and ounces, so I thought it would be useful to include the standard cup size as well.
The cup used as a measure in the Imperial system is actually two types: the legal cup and the customary cup.
240 ml or 8.12 customary ounces
236.5882365 ml or 8 customary ounces
These are the measures used in cooking, and to keep things uniform and convenient, I suppose most coffee cups are also the same as the “cup”, or 8 ounces.
Last update on 2019-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API