Coffee cups come in a variety of sizes, usually suited to the type of beverage you are having.
Some coffee chains have their own fancy nicknames for sizes, too(I’m looking at you, Starbucks!).
If you really want to boost the coffee experience from just your regular mugs to authentic coffee servings, read on!
Latte and cappuccino
Mocha and latte
Iced coffee, filter coffee
A whole lotta coffee!
The table above lists the most common sizes for coffee cups and the best coffees to enjoy in those sizes.
Espresso is a very strong preparation and is thus enjoyed in much smaller quantities – so the 4 oz cup is more than enough. If you want to be really classy about it, espresso cups are called demitasse cups.
A 6 oz cup size is ideal for enjoying cappuccinos. Cappuccinos are espresso shots mixed with foamed milk. Since the size of the espresso shot is standard, it’s important to control the amount of milk you use in the cappuccino, otherwise your coffee can get too milky and lose its strength.
8 oz cups are awesome “standard” coffee cup sizes, great for a fresh preparation of your favorite filter coffee or latte. Most standard coffee mugs are indeed 8 to 10 ounces, the best size for enjoying a pot of coffee.
12 ounce cups make for great iced coffee. As it is, you’re going to need a lot of ice, which will take up a lot of volume, so the larger cup can mean you still get a good quantity of coffee!
16 ounce cups are the big leagues, for serious caffeine consumers!
The most common coffee cups, as noted above, are 8 ounces, or 227 ml. To figure out how big your favorite mug is, just fill your mug up with water all the way and tip it out into a measuring cup.
Why does the size of your cup matter?
A standard cappuccino is one shot of espresso and foamed milk. If you order a large cappuccino and don’t specify whether you want a double shot of espresso, you’re going to get more dilute coffee since there will be more milk to fill the top of your cup.
Of course, if you happen to prefer milkier coffee, then by all means, go for the larger cup with a single shot!
This also presents a really nice opportunity for you to try different combinations and see what flavors work for you.
Remember, the size is just one way of modifying the flavor – you can try a stronger, darker roast with a larger cup for a more balanced coffee, or use a smaller cup with a lighter roast to get more kick out of it.
What about for my home?
The whole shpiel above was more for ordering coffees at your local cafes. If you’re looking to buy a good cup for home, then a standard 8 oz mug should do the trick since you can enjoy cappuccinos, lattes, flat whites, and filter coffee – 8 oz is the goldilocks amount!
If you are really into espresso and considering getting an espresso machine, then I’d suggest you pick up some demitasse cups just for enhancing the espresso drinking experience.
Starbucks coffee cup sizes
Travel coffee mug sizes
You’ll find that most of the bestselling travel mugs on Amazon are quite large, 16 ounces and 20 ounces.
Presumably, this is for grabbing a hit of filter coffee for the road. Since the mugs are insulated, you can actually pour out two whole servings of coffee that will last you a lot longer!
- These Ramblers come standard with our YETI MagSlider Lid, the only drink lid that uses the power of magnets to keep your water, beer, or favorite drink on lock
- Our Ramblers are BPA-free, dishwasher safe, and have a No Sweat Design to make sure your hands stay dry
- DuraCoat is a durable coat of color that won't fade, peel, or crack through extended field use and also provide additional grip to the Rambler's exterior
- We over-engineered these double-wall insulated tumblers with an 18/8 stainless steel body, which means your drink still keeps its temperature no matter how much of a beating this cup takes
- The YETI 20 oz Rambler Tumbler stands 6 7/8 in high and has a lip diameter of 3 1/2 in. All YETI Tumblers are sized to fit in standard sized cup holders
- Patented AUTOSEAL lid automatically seals between sips to eliminate spills and leaks
- Lid underside flips open completely for easy cleaning
- Double-wall vacuum-insulated stainless steel keeps beverages hot for 5 hours or cold for 12 hours
- Top-rack dishwasher safe lid; 100% BPA free
- Fits most single-serve brewers and car cup holders
- SnapSeal lid features a 1-piece leak proof lid. Do not use cleaners containing Chlorine, bleaches, abrasives and/or other harsh chemicals
- For the Long Haul - Drinks stay hot up to 7 hours and cold up to 18 with THERMALOCK Vacuum Insulation
- Lend a Hand - Easy one-handed drinking from this travel coffee mug
- Clean Up - Top rack dishwasher lid, hand wash body. BPA-free plastic lid, vacuum insulated stainless steel body
- Perfect Fit - Fits most car cup holders
Last update on 2019-02-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API