French Press is one of the most common ways of making coffee all around the world. It impresses users with stronger coffee flavor and simple but effective performance. But do you know what the main part that makes the machine different from others is? The filter!
However, the filter easily gets worn out after extended use and needs to be replaced. Let’s look at how to replace a french press filter.
How to replace a french press filter
What you need
Before starting replacing the filter, make sure that all necessary parts and equipment are ready. They include:
- Replacement mesh filter (if necessary)
- Replacement metal filter (if necessary)
- A screwdriver
Replacing the filter
Follow the steps below to replace the french press filter:
- Gently take the plunger out of the machine. Keep the carafe carefully until you need it
- Unscrew the bottom part of the plunger in clockwise direction till it gets separated. In the plunger, there are three parts: the filter cross plate, the mesh filter, and the filter spiral plate. If you do not remember their correct order inside the French Press, note this for easy reinstallation later
- Put other parts aside from the mesh filter. Check the mesh filter to see whether or not it has any damage or fraying around the edges which make excess coffee grounds run with your brewed coffee
- If the filter is in good condition, inspect the filter spiral plate for damage. In fact, this part rarely gets damaged, but it doesn’t mean that it cannot happen, so it’s worth having a look
- Discard any broken filter part and get your replacement ready
- Clean the replacement filter with soap and clean water. Let it air dry or use a towel
- It’s time to put the plunger parts of your French Press back together: the cross plate goes on the bottom, followed by the mesh filter, followed by the spiral filter. Screw the plunger back in and you’re good to go!
Things to keep in mind
Providing that you follow the instruction above properly, you will successfully replace the filter for your French Press. But there are also some tips and warnings that you should follow to carry out the process easier, avoid possible accidents and gain desired results. There are a few important things you need to remember:
- Contact the manufacturer or retailer where you bought your French Press to know whether or not the parts for your model are under warranty
- Be careful during taking out the damaged mesh filter. Its edges can get frayed and become sharp, so it can cut you. In addition to this, only inspect the mesh filter when there is enough light so you can properly see it
- The fine metal mesh filter lasts longer in comparison with nylon filters, so invest in Fine metal mesh filter for your French Press for extra durability
I recommend investing in a mid-priced Bodum press. These machines are affordable and offer replacement parts, and the brewed coffee is as good as others of higher price. These products are currently used in a lot of restaurants all over the world.
- French press: Chambord French press brews a premium cup of Coffee in just 4 minutes, simply add course ground Coffee, hot water and press
- Stainless steel: 3-part stainless steel plunger has a mesh filter that helps extract your coffee's aromatic oils and subtle flavors instead of being absorbed by a paper filter. Made of plastic
- Durable design: Coffee press features Bodum Patented safety lid to keep contents from spilling and is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Maximum flavor: pressed Coffee extracts the perfect amount of essentials oils and acids from the Coffee bean for maximum flavor; the preferred method for brewing for Coffee enthusiasts everywhere
- Servings: premium French press Coffee maker makes 8 cups of Coffee, 4 oz each
- Add coarsely grounded Coffee. Add hot water. Wait 4 minutes. Plunge.
- No paper filters or plastic capsules required.
- Base and handle made of BPA-free polypropylene. Carafe made of German heat-resistant borosilicate glass. Plunger made of stainless steel
- 34 oz. capacity.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Add Coarsely Grounded Coffee. Add Hot Water. Wait 4 Minutes. Plunge.
- Environmentally friendly: No paper filters or plastic capsules required.
- Base and handle made of BPA-free polypropylene. Carafe made of German Heat-Resistant Borosilicate Glass. Plunger made of Stainless Steel
- 34 Ounce Capacity.
- Dishwasher Safe.
- UNIVERSAL SIZE - This standard size 1000 ml, 34 oz, 8 cup french press replacement glass beaker fits coffee makers of all major brands, including Bodum Shin Bistro, Bodum Chambord, Bodum Brazil, BonJour, Bruntmor, Grosche, Café Du Chateau, Veken, Pura Vida, and more. Diameter - 3.9 inch, Height - 7 inch.
- QUALITY GLASS - Unlike regular glass that can crack from temperature swings, this replacement beaker is made of borosilicate glass which is a high grade heatproof glass and is thicker and stronger than most other brands available, so you don’t have to worry about the glass shattering due to a change in temperature.
- PERFECT DESIGN - Glass carafe features an easy-pour no-drip spout, smooth and round edges, with beautiful white Pura Vida logo
- DISHWASHER SAFE: Replacement glass carafe is durable and dishwasher safe for quick and easy cleaning
- 100% RISK FREE PURCHASE - All Pura Vida products are 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you get a full refund if something does not live up to your expectations. And you’ll be glad to hear that we believe in actual human contact; you’ll get a prompt response from a knowledgeable and helpful representative any time you reach out.
- 8 cup French press coffeemaker allows you to brew flavorful Coffee in 4 minutes
- 3-part stainless steel mesh filter is included which allows for a premium extraction of your Coffee aromatic oils and subtle flavors
- No paper filters required, means more flavor without any waste
- Patented safety lid prevents splashing of liquids while pressing
- Dishwasher safe
- COFFEE PRESS: COLUMBIA coffee maker brews an excellent cup of coffee or tea within minutes, just add course ground coffee, hot water and press
- INSULATED: Thermal coffee maker is made of double-wall, stainless steel construction to keep beverages hot for two hours; leisurely enjoy your coffee without getting cold
- STAINLESS STEEL: 3-part stainless steel plunger has a mesh filter that helps extract your coffee's aromatic oils and subtle flavors instead of being absorbed by a paper filter
- DURABLE DESIGN: Coffee press features Bodum's patented safety lid to keep contents from spilling and is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- SERVINGS: This premium coffee press holds 51 ounces, enough for 12 cups of coffee or tea, 4 oz each
- Travel Coffee maker: brew Coffee or tea on the go and drink from same container when ready; enjoy your daily fix wherever you are
- Quick and easy: Simply add coarsely ground Coffee, hot water and seal the lid for a delicious, freshly pressed cup in minutes
- Stainless steel: made of vacuum-sealed, double-wall construction, this stainless steel travel mug keeps beverages hot or cold for several hours
- Durable design: French press mug features a Spill resistant lid, built-in plunger and colorful, silicone, non-slip grip for easy Travel
- On the go mug: Travel mug holds 15 oz. of Coffee or tea and is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Designed in honor of the great Irish designer Eileen Gray
- Solid stainless steel frame protects borosilicate glass beaker.
- Made in Portugal.
- 34 oz. capacity.
- Dishwasher safe
- Unique chrome-plated metal frame protects the glass and also acts as a stand.
- Heat resistant borosilicate glass (up to 350 degrees) and odorless
- Made for over 40 years by expert craftsmen in our factory in Portugal.
- Sustainable Coffee brewing system with no paper filters or capsules
- Set includes: 1 - 34 Oz. BISTRO French Press Coffee Maker with Shatterproof SAN Beaker and 2 - Pavina Outdoor 8 Oz. Shatterproof Tumblers.
- French Press Carafe and Tumblers are made of Recycleable and 100% BPA Free SAN Plastic
- More environmentally friendly than ordinary coffee-making systems – no paper filters or plastic capsules required!
- Easy to Clean and 100% Dishwasher Safe.
- 3 Piece Coffee Set
How often should I replace the french press filter?
There is no fixed timeline for when to replace a filter. A good indication however is when you see your french coffee is getting muddier than usual. That suggests your filter is fraying.
Learn how to brew the best coffee of your life
Sign up now to get started with our easy to follow and easy to implement guides. You'll never want to drink instant coffee again!
Last update on 2020-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API