French Press is one of the most common ways of making coffee all around the world. It impresses users with stronger coffee flavor and simple but effective performance. But do you know what the main part that makes the machine different from others is? The filter!
However, the filter easily gets worn out after extended use and needs to be replaced. Let’s look at how to replace a french press filter.
How to replace a french press filter
What you need
Before starting replacing the filter, make sure that all necessary parts and equipment are ready. They include:
- Replacement mesh filter (if necessary)
- Replacement metal filter (if necessary)
- A screwdriver
Replacing the filter
Follow the steps below to replace the french press filter:
- Gently take the plunger out of the machine. Keep the carafe carefully until you need it
- Unscrew the bottom part of the plunger in clockwise direction till it gets separated. In the plunger, there are three parts: the filter cross plate, the mesh filter, and the filter spiral plate. If you do not remember their correct order inside the French Press, note this for easy reinstallation later
- Put other parts aside from the mesh filter. Check the mesh filter to see whether or not it has any damage or fraying around the edges which make excess coffee grounds run with your brewed coffee
- If the filter is in good condition, inspect the filter spiral plate for damage. In fact, this part rarely gets damaged, but it doesn’t mean that it cannot happen, so it’s worth having a look
- Discard any broken filter part and get your replacement ready
- Clean the replacement filter with soap and clean water. Let it air dry or use a towel
- It’s time to put the plunger parts of your French Press back together: the cross plate goes on the bottom, followed by the mesh filter, followed by the spiral filter. Screw the plunger back in and you’re good to go!
Things to keep in mind
Providing that you follow the instruction above properly, you will successfully replace the filter for your French Press. But there are also some tips and warnings that you should follow to carry out the process easier, avoid possible accidents and gain desired results. There are a few important things you need to remember:
- Contact the manufacturer or retailer where you bought your French Press to know whether or not the parts for your model are under warranty
- Be careful during taking out the damaged mesh filter. Its edges can get frayed and become sharp, so it can cut you. In addition to this, only inspect the mesh filter when there is enough light so you can properly see it
- The fine metal mesh filter lasts longer in comparison with nylon filters, so invest in Fine metal mesh filter for your French Press for extra durability
I recommend investing in a mid-priced Bodum press. These machines are affordable and offer replacement parts, and the brewed coffee is as good as others of higher price. These products are currently used in a lot of restaurants all over the world.
- French press: Chambord French press brews a premium cup of Coffee in just 4 minutes, simply add course ground Coffee, hot water and press
- Stainless steel: 3-part stainless steel plunger has a mesh filter that helps extract your coffee's aromatic oils and subtle flavors instead of being absorbed by a paper filter. Made of plastic
- Durable design: Coffee press features Bodum Patented safety lid to keep contents from spilling and is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- Maximum flavor: pressed Coffee extracts the perfect amount of essentials oils and acids from the Coffee bean for maximum flavor; the preferred method for brewing for Coffee enthusiasts everywhere
- Servings: premium French press Coffee maker makes 8 cups of Coffee, 4 oz each
- Add coarsely grounded Coffee. Add hot water. Wait 4 minutes. Plunge.
- No paper filters or plastic capsules required.
- Base and handle made of BPA-free polypropylene. Carafe made of German heat-resistant borosilicate glass. Plunger made of stainless steel
- 34 oz. capacity.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Add Coarsely Grounded Coffee. Add Hot Water. Wait 4 Minutes. Plunge.
- Environmentally friendly: No paper filters or plastic capsules required.
- Base and handle made of BPA-free polypropylene. Carafe made of German Heat-Resistant Borosilicate Glass. Plunger made of Stainless Steel
- 34 Ounce Capacity.
- Dishwasher Safe.
- FRENCH PRESS: CHAMBORD French press brews a premium cup of coffee in just 4 minutes, simply add course ground coffee, hot water and press
- COFFEE CARAFE: Made of durable, heat-resistant borosilicate glass with a BPA free plastic handle and base; easy to use and easy to clean
- STAINLESS STEEL: 3-part stainless steel plunger has a mesh filter that helps extract your coffee's aromatic oils and subtle flavors instead of being absorbed by a paper filter
- MAXIMUM FLAVOR: Pressed coffee extracts the perfect amount of essentials oils and acids from the coffee bean for maximum flavor; the preferred method for brewing for coffee enthusiasts everywhere
- SERVINGS: This premium French press coffee maker makes 3 cups of coffee, 4oz each; dishwasher safe
- Includes two lids: One for the fridge overnight, and one with a plunger to press down the coffee grounds in the morning
- 51 Oz. Capacity.
- Innovative locking lid system keeps your Coffee hot or cold and helps prevent spills
- All components are 100% Dishwasher Safe for easy clean-up.
- All Plastic Parts are 100% BPA Free!
- 8 cup French press coffeemaker allows you to brew flavorful Coffee in 4 minutes
- 3-part stainless steel mesh filter is included which allows for a premium extraction of your Coffee aromatic oils and subtle flavors
- No paper filters required, means more flavor without any waste
- Patented safety lid prevents splashing of liquids while pressing
- Dishwasher safe
- COFFEE PRESS: COLUMBIA coffee maker brews an excellent cup of coffee or tea within minutes, just add course ground coffee, hot water and press
- INSULATED: Thermal coffee maker is made of double-wall, stainless steel construction to keep beverages hot for two hours; leisurely enjoy your coffee without getting cold
- STAINLESS STEEL: 3-part stainless steel plunger has a mesh filter that helps extract your coffee's aromatic oils and subtle flavors instead of being absorbed by a paper filter. Material- Polyoxymethylene thermoplastic, Polypropylene plastic, Silicone, Stainless steel, Zinc
- DURABLE DESIGN: Coffee press features Bodum's patented safety lid to keep contents from spilling and is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- SERVINGS: This premium coffee press holds 31 ounces, enough for 8 cups of coffee or tea, 4 oz each
- ☕Why purchase this product? – The affordable price, user-friendly functions and elegant design makes this French Press a great addition to your kitchen. In addition, Our French Press is a great gift for friends and family. Purchase one today and enjoy the benefits of owning a Veken French Press.
- ☕Be the leader of your own coffee - The glass beaker allows you to monitor the whole coffee making process. Watching the hot water and coffee grounds separate as you press the stainless-steel filter arm. The aroma of the coffee fills your being, and your troubles have altogether disappeared.
- ☕Enjoy a quiet and peaceful coffee making experience - Our Veken French Press is made of borosilicate glass to reduce the unbearable scratchy noise generated from metal presses when the plunger is pushed down.
- ☕Powerful filtration technique - The double stainless steel screen filters help minimize the amount of residual grounds in your coffee. Giving you a cup of pure brewed coffee just like its made by professionals.
- ☕Precise scale line - Our Veken French Coffee Press features an exact scale line so you can prepare exactly the right amount of coffee or tea to meet your needs.
- Designed in honor of the great Irish designer Eileen Gray
- Solid stainless steel frame protects borosilicate glass beaker.
- Made in Portugal.
- 34 oz. capacity.
- Dishwasher safe
- IF YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT YOUR COFFEE – We tested enough mechanisms and filters to make your head spin to tweak and uniquely design our press with a triple layered filter structure to stop the sediment, but let the yummy coffee oils through for a full-bodied delicious brew that will make you a very happy camper. And to share the java love, we give you a bonus matching travel canister that holds enough beans or grounds for two full batches.
- MORE THICKER, MORE HEAVIER, BUILT TO LAST – Our huge capacity professional grade 310 18/10 double-layered stainless-steel baby will keep your coffee hot for 60 minutes longer than thinner steel and glass models. And it’s drop proof, rust proof, and probably bulletproof (be nice).
- MULTIPLE USES: Besides using the french press as a coffee maker, it is also the best appliance to make tea, mct oil coffee, hot chocolate, cold brew, frothed milk, almond milk, cashew milk, fruit infusions, and plant and herbal drinks as it seals in their flavors and aromas
- PERFECT FOR ANY OCCASION - For house warmings, weddings, birthdays, holidays and all coffee/tea lovers, DIY enthusiasts & healthy foodies! Two bonus stainless steel screens and the matching travel container are included with every purchase while quantities last.
- EUROPEAN ENGINEERED - Our total satisfaction promise covers all our products. So choose Mueller with confidence and look forward to a lifetime of java pleasure.
How often should I replace the french press filter?
There is no fixed timeline for when to replace a filter. A good indication however is when you see your french coffee is getting muddier than usual. That suggests your filter is fraying.
Learn how to brew the best coffee of your life
Sign up now to get started with our easy to follow and easy to implement guides. You'll never want to drink instant coffee again!
Last update on 2020-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API