Nespresso machines are quite a closed ecosystem, so it’s not very easy to customize the machine much. Still, we scoured the internet to find the best Nespresso hacks. These won’t be the typical “hacks” you’re used to, but rather some tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your machine and drink.
Nespresso hacks for better coffee
1. Preheat your cup before brewing
Most espresso machines have cup warmers built in, but interestingly, Nespresso machines don’t. Baristas generally recommend preheating your cup before pouring your coffee in. This helps keep the beverage warm for a longer period of time.
The easiest way to preheat your cup is to simply pour hot or boiling water into it and rinse it out. Then place it in your Nespresso machine and brew your shot of espresso.
2. Program brew sizes
Did you know you can program brew sizes on your Nespresso machine? OriginalLine and VertuoLine machines have buttons programmed to brew different sizes of coffee: espresso and lungo on OriginalLine, and 5 to 6 sizes on VertuoLine ranging from espresso to Alto.
By pressing and holding the button as you brew, the machine will continue to run water until you let go of the button. So if you prefer a larger volume of coffee in your shot, you can customize the size.
My personal preference is to keep the espresso button set to the default, and customize the lungo button to whatever volume of coffee you wish.
3. Use filtered water
Many high end coffee makers have water filters built in to their water tanks. Nespresso machines don’t. For best results, use filtered water to brew coffee. It results in a cleaner, better tasting brew.
4. Use reusable pods
The cost of Nespresso capsules can really add up over time. For around $0.70 to $2 per capsule, coffee will end up costing you and arm and a leg, especially if you drink more than one cup per day.
Many companies make reusable pods that work with OriginalLine machines. You simply fill your own coffee grounds in the pods and brew.
Learn how to brew the best coffee of your life
Sign up now to get started with our easy to follow and easy to implement guides. You'll never want to drink instant coffee again!
This sort of destroys the convenience factor, since there is a bit of effort involved in grinding coffee, scooping it into a pod, and sealing the pod.
Still, the overall cost of your machine will drastically drop.
As of this writing, only one company makes Nespresso Vertuoline reusable pods. The Vertuoline system is quite locked compared to the OriginalLine system, so if you want the flexibility of reusable or a compatible capsule, stick to OriginalLine.
5. Reuse spent pods
To be even cheaper, you can actually reuse a spent capsule by peeling off the foil top, rinsing it out, filling in your own coffee grounds, and re-sealing it with foil.
It’s a lot of effort, but if you’re out of fresh capsules and need some coffee, this hack can help you brew a quick cup.
6. Don’t forget to descale
Sometimes the convenience of Nespresso machines makes us forget about the regular maintenance we must do! Descaling your machine is an important process to keep it clean and running well, and you should descale once every 3-6 months depending on how hard your water is.
If you live in an area with hard water, descale once every 3 months. In areas with normal water, descale once every 6 months.
Also, if you are not using your Nespresso machine every single day, keep the water tank empty and only fill as much water as you need.
7. Make tea
Some companies make tea pods for Nespresso. While tea is common in Keurigs, it’s rare to find for Nespresso. Still, if you need a fix of tea, pick up some tea pods and brew yourself a cup.
Remember to pull a lot of water, as a shot of tea will not be very pleasant!
8. Run a single capsule twice in emergencies
People have reportedly tried using a single capsule two times. While it’s technically possible, the resulting beverage will not be very good. Still, if you’re dead set against drinking water and prefer to have at least some inkling of coffee mixed in, try to brew capsules twice.
I’m not sure if you’ll really enjoy it, but you’ve been warned.
9. Ditch the Aeroccino for a cheaper frother
Nespresso machines often come bundled with the Aeroccino milk frother for a bit more money. However, the Aeroccino is quite a simple device and you can get similar results with other cheaper milk frothers.
So if you’re tempted to pick up a Nespresso machine with an Aeroccino, don’t, and opt for a less expensive frother that will do a similar job.
- GET CREAMY FROTH QUICKLY: Powerlix brings you its portable handheld milk frother for frothed milk. If you love your morning coffee with lots of froth and foam, then you certainly want to have Powerlix frothing wand at home or your cafÃ style cappuccino. It comes with a stand for easy storage and can be kept on the countertop.
- BATTERY OPERATED FOR PERFECT FROTH IN NO TIME: The mixer is battery powered so you don't have to worry about cords and finding sockets. Heat up the milk, immerse the espresso maker into the cup and turn it on. The milk foamer will start creating creamy froth on the milk instantly. Within 15 - 20 seconds, you have a cup filled with creamy froth and ready to go into your coffee latte.
- QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST: Our milk whisk frappe maker is made of the best quality stainless steel. It has a powerful motor that gives you 19000 rpm and the dual spring durable long 18/10 food safe material stainless steel spiral whisk that won't rust or break over the time, delivers double the power of other frothers and professional espresso makers available. The power button on top makes it easy to use. The low noise motor barely makes a sound.
- BEAUTIFULLY STYLED WITH VERSATILITY: The machine is beautifully styled in black color to fit into any modern kitchen. It is lightweight and has ergonomically designed soft touch handle. It is easy to use and easy to clean. It can be used to froth other liquids besides hot milk. Use it to make milkshakes for your kids or cocktails for your friends. It will work well with both hot and cold liquids.
- 100% LIFETIME WARRANTY: The milk frother is so handy and useful that you can gift it to your friends and family too. Let them enjoy the convenience of making chocolate or cappuccino at home. We are confident of our product and know you will like it. This is why we back up our product with a LIFETIME warranty, and the amazing FREE BONUS eBook is yours to keep. Order now and start to create thick and creamy foam for your homemade drinks
10. Buy compatible Nespresso capsules
Many coffee roasters make Nespresso compatible capsules that work with OriginalLine machines. These capsules are much cheaper than original Nespresso pods, and you can save quite a bit of money in the long run with these. You’ll still have access to a wide variety of coffees, and you’ll pay less, too.
While these hacks are a little unconventional(perhaps you were hoping to find a tutorial on putting wheels on your Nespresso to have it deliver coffee to your room), they’re still neat ways to help you get the most out of your Nespresso machine.
Last update on 2020-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API