An early disclaimer – Coffees generally scale 5 on a ph detector. And 5 is not so much acidic. Even then, lets look at some low acid coffee brands.
Interestingly enough, some common fruits scale a fiver. Banana, a glass of orange juice and to your surprise even tomatoes have the same acid levels.
For your ease of understanding we will just outline the ends of ph’s, “0” is most acidic. Hydrochloric Acid in your stomach is a full zero. As you go further in numbers – acidity decreases ending on “6”. “7” is neutral. Pure water is “7”. After that – as numbers grow – substances tend to be more basic ending on “14” which is very basic. And as coffees are 5 – they are mildly acidic.
But a hot brew has more than just coffee. It has sugars, milk, some chemicals like aroma enhancers. And these can make your cup a little acidic. Your standard brew contains around 30 different acids! Some of them are the same ones you’ll find in vinegar and citrus fruits.
[AMAZON fields = “B00GSXVB4M” value = “thumb” image_size = “large” img_alt = “low acid coffee brands”]
Why opt for low acid coffee?
If you avoid acidic food stuffs and juices but cannot resist the taste of coffee – then a lot of manufacturers are producing low acid coffee products.
People who are are afflicted with acid reflux and heartburn, diagnosed with GERD – should actually consider low acid coffee beans and powders. They work the best and medically they are very healthy.
Even pregnant women are required to keep their acid levels close to neutral. Acid Reflux and Stomach upsets are very common in the early stages of pregnancy and after delivery. For them too – low acid in coffee drinks are very useful. Mommee Coffee is a brand which manufactures specialized brews for mommies.
Here is a list of top brands manufacturing coffees – some of which are 70 percent less acidic. All these are handpicked and acid tested by our experts.
- Mommee Coffee
Note: If you come across “coffee acidity” in any of the above mentioned brands – do not confuse this term with high acid concentrations. “Acidity” is a term used by coffee experts to define flavor notes of a brew or quality of coffee beans. “Acidic” signifies high-quality, high-grown coffee which is dry, bright, and has enchanting flavor notes.
Low acid coffee brands: our favorites
1. Trucup Low Acid Coffees
A leading low acid coffee brand Trucup is a promising deliverer of wonderful products. Their coffees are serving a lot of consumers out there and they don’t manufacture anything other than low acid coffee drinks.
Born To Be Mild (Light Roast) – a signature product from Trucup scored 5.74 on pH! This makes it 1.7 to 4.6 times less acidic than other leading coffee brands including Nepresso. This is a light roast! So technically their medium and dark roasts are even less acidic!
The science behind these results is their hard work and focus on achieving higher ph’s. Trucup imports premium blends coffee beans internationally. They then remove acids and other harmful chemicals – naturally. The roasting process is done in small artisan batches. Their removing and roasting process is a secret which they guard heavily. In the processing – the flavors, aromas and caffeine contents are left untouched.
You can choose any of the six most trusted products of Trucup coffees.
- Bold Roast
- French Roast
- Espresso Blend
- Single Serve Biodegradable Cups – Bold Roast
- SWEET LIGHT ROAST: Smooth and light, the Born to Be Mild, low acid coffee by trücup is a light roast with a hint of sweetness. Smaller, artisan batches ensure the beans retain the brighter flavors for a delicate, mild taste that can be easy on the stomach.
- GENTLE, LOW ACID COFFEE: Creating a smooth taste, each trücup blend undergoes a proprietary steam process to remove the naturally occurring tannic and lipid acids from each coffee bean. The result is a low acid coffee that can be gentler on the stomach and ideal for those with irritable stomachs, GERD, peptic ulcers and gastritis.
- ROASTED WHOLE BEANS: Born to Be Mild is available in whole bean form for grinding as needed for a fresh, flavorful cup of coffee.
- FRESH FIVE POUND BAG: Ensuring fresh coffee is only moments away, the Born to Be Mild low acid coffee is packaged in a valved, five-pound bag.
- SMOOTH trücup TASTE: Not sacrificing the taste of a good coffee, trücup procures premium coffee beans that are expertly roasted in small, artisan batches to preserve optimal flavor and the natural caffeine content. Each cup provides a smooth, clean taste that is never bitter and will never irritate your stomach.
2. Mommy Coffee
This enterprise is a “boutique coffee company” manufacturing coffee for to be moms, moms, and for everybody who wants a low acid cup.
This establishment has a wide range of – all low acid coffees. However you can select any of the four unique caffeine content levels according to your needs.
- Full Caf
- Half Caf
- Quarter Caf
The reason mommy coffee ranks high in our list – is because of their delicate handling of the ph’s. The coffees are not just checked for litmus indicators – rather a thorough processing and screening is done on the products before it is qualified for pregnant women.
Pregnancy requires purest and healthiest of diets – and of course coffees. Mommy Coffee is low on acids – which is good for the off springs bones. Low chemical profile and organic farming of the beans provide natural, toxin-free beverages for new lives.
And a product which is good for a pregnant woman belly – is actually best for other stomachs. Because during pregnancies you just don’t care for yourself but more important for another life within you.
- Half Caff - A small boost of caffeine for when you just need a little support
- Designed for Moms - Guilt-free coffee for all stages of motherhood: trying to conceive, pregnancy, breastfeeding and beyond
- Low Acid - Easier on your more-sensitive-than-usual stomach and your more-taxed-than-usual bones
- Organic & Water-Processed - No harmful chemicals are used in our growing and decaffeination processes
- Fair Trade Certified - Because we care about the health of your babies and the world they will grow up in
3. Puroast Coffee
One of the oldest – Northern Californian Brand – Puroast Coffee offers some of the best organic coffee, which is low on acids and are home blended.
A report by a researcher in the field of coffee publishes that Puroast coffees have seven times antioxidant levels in comparison to green tea. Secondly they are 70% less acidic than any other roasted coffee!
Their secret to this – is quality roasting. According to Puroast, they roast for quality and not for volume or money. They get the best out of the beans that they themselves plant, farm, harvest and dry.
Puroast fancies a variety of flavors and different roasts. The very first roast by the founder of Puroast is known as “Lost Art Blend”. The “Lost Art” roasting is unique in which the coffee develops without direct heat. In other words it is nature that cooks them resulting in low acidity.
- 70% Less Acid than Other Coffees
- 7X More Antioxidants than Green Tea
- 100% Pure Coffee - No Additives or Extractions
- A "Feel Better, Not Bitter" Coffee - No Bitter Aftertaste
- Innovative Roasting Process developed by Puroast - Unlike any coffee company in the World
You can also try their signature product – Organic Low Acid House Blend. The good thing – there are no chemicals, no additives or extractions in this one. It is simply pure organic merchandise which has all natural ingredients and flavor. So technically – it is non acidic and very healthy.
4. Tieman’s Fusion Coffee
If you are looking for a great blended coffee which is low on acids then Tiemans is what you should go with. Their coffees have an average ph of about 5.85%
The blending of coffee at Tiemans is almost nonparallel to any other brands. Tieman’s fusion coffee has Matcha Green Tea, Rooibos Red Tea, and Goji berry powders. These are all herbs and natural ingredients.
The coffee is are sourced from Guatemala, Ecuador and Colombia. The beans are all Arabica, which are balanced first, then blended with the herbs listed above and then roasted.
You can order grounds and whole beans both. The company offers:
- Dark Fusion,
- Medium Fusion
- and Medium Fusion Decaf (We prefer this one for its fusion and taste.)
The products are not just less acidic. In fact Tiemans coffees are famous for boosting your immune systems especially because of Rooibos Red Tea – and are also advertised as energy drinks.
Tiemans offer huge discounts on bulk and office orders. Office coffees are designed for commercial use in portion packs. A bulk pack can be 20 percent less than retail and hence greatly economical. The pre-measured portion pack makes it convenient for home use too.
- Low acid, naturally decaffeinated with a water process, ultra smooth flavor, stomach settling benefits, with an average ph range of 5.85%
- 100% premium Arabica coffee naturally fused with Matcha Green Tea for 5-7 hour sustained energy, no jitters; Rooibos Red Tea for stomach settling benefits, and Goji Berry powders with anti-inflammatory benefits
- We use only 100% Arabica premium coffee from Central and South America
- 5-times the body's daily requirement for anti-oxidant protection
- 10 ounce bag of whole bean dark roast coffee making approximately 40-8 oz cups of coffee
5. Healthwise Coffee
Healthwise manufactures Colombian organic coffee and dwells specifically in Arabica. Their score on ph scale is 6.18 which is very impressive. The enterprise guarantees that multiple cups of their coffee is not going to impact your health especially the acidity levels.
Coffee seeds and plants are exported from Paisa Region – which lies in rural Colombian Zones. This region is known to produce some of the best coffees of the world.
Other than their specialized imports – Healthwise differentiates itself by their trademark Roasting and Swiss Water® Process.
High Quality Colombian Beans are selected and then they pass through a special roasting process resulting in a medium dark roast. Vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants are preserved through out roasting. No additives or food colors are used. They name this process TechnoRoasting™ .
Swiss Water® Process purifies coffee from caffeine contents. Small batches of coffee and green coffee extract is mixed with water and heated. Time and temperature are monitored until the 99.9% decaf is produced.
The result – Nutrient Rich, organic coffee which is very low on acids. Their marketed product 100% Colombian Supremo is appraised by the consumers for these reasons and especially for its natural flavor.
HealthWise has a diversified range of products. The good thing about this brand is – you will get Keurig K-Cups and pods for coffee makers too – all low in acids. Finding low acid K-Cups are difficult in other brands.
Columbian Supremo and even other coffees by HealthWise are USDA certified organic. Some of the experts even list their decaf as #1 in low acid coffee brands listings.
- Roasted exclusively with the highest grade and certified Colombian Supremo Arabica beans
- An FDA-approved TechnoRoasting process reduces the heartburn-producing acid common to other coffee products
- The same TechnoRoasting process also protects essential minerals, antioxidants, vitamins and other nutrients often excluded by other roasting processes
- The roasting process also reduces the bitterness and harshness that other roasting methods often leave behind
- The Kosher-certified and Vatican-endorsed 12-ounce can offers 110 cups of low-acid coffee
6. Euromild Coffee
Euromild is based on European Technique (branded in North America) – which just concentrates on mild roasts.
The beans and the region (Columbia) from where they are imported are same as HealthWise’s. However their steaming technique is different from other brands.
Pressurized steam is used to remove unwanted acids, irritants and chemicals. According to Euromild – caffeine is not the major culprit causing acid-reflux. There are certain “roasting irritants” which stimulate your digestive organs to produce too much acid. So basically coffees are acid free, and it is your body which is producing acids due to some chemicals which are composed while roasting.
For this reason – the coffee is steamed and not roasted in Euromild’s products.
As the coffee seeds are steamed and then grounded – hardness of the beans are minimized – resulting in smooth and silky feel. The brand makes sure that steam does not take away the flavor and aroma of the beans.
Their products are known to be quick sellers. The brand has limited collection. You can choose from the below four:
- Regular Ground
- Regular Whole beans
- Decaf Ground
- Decaf Whole beans
Euromild claims that a cup from any of the four has 99.5% acid removed. The only limitation with this brand is unavailability of K-Cups and Pods.
- Highest quality 99.5% acid free ground coffee.
- Excellent for IC and GERD sufferers. Great taste.
- This is high quality Columbian coffee with 99.5% acid removed.
- Use like regular coffee, but has no acid effects.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
7. Volcanica Coffee
Volcanica differentiate itself as a low acid coffee brand having exquisite flavor profile. Of all the flavors – floral, chocolate, and woody notes are worth the dollars.
Their processing method is unique too. Known as “Wet Hull Processing” initially the beans are de-pulped and partially fermented. The beans are then dried on raised beds so that the soil does not alter the original flavors. After semi – drying the beans are hulled, or milled. The moist grounds are again dried until a deep green and blue color is achieved. Volcanica claims that this is a scientifically proven low acid method.
You will get fresh grounds always as Volcanica roasts coffee according to consumers orders and in small customized batches.
Volcanica offers a lot of flavors – all distinct in their bean origin, flavors, roasts, and notes.
Hawaiian Kona: This product has Hawaiian whole beans grown in low altitudes. The seeds are grown and cultivated on Kona slopes of Greenwell Estate which harbors ideal soil and temperatures for coffee plants. The plants are protected from sun’s heat – which protects against acidic reactions within the growth.
The beans are not mixed with other inferior beans ensuring the purest Hawaiian flavors. Volcanica only processes “Extra Fancy” which is the highest ranked among eight different Kona Beans.
Their floral, fruity, and citrus flavors in nutty cinnamon and clove overtones are savories – having highest demands in low acid fancy flavor coffees.
- Authentic Hawaiian Kona Extra Fancy Coffee with a refined taste, smooth body, superb aroma and a buttery richness with nutty cinnamon and clove overtones.
- State of Hawaii Certified
- This is NOT a Kona Blend which claim to be Kona but only contain 1%- 5% real Kona beans the rest are cheaper lower grade beans from other countries. This is authentic 100% Kona Coffee Beans Single Origin from the Greenwell Estate.
- Medium roasted whole beans allowing the true flavor characteristic to come through for a remarkable taste. Fresh roasted then immediately packed and sealed to assure freshness.
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed. Fresh roasted then immediately packed and sealed to assure freshness
8. Simpatico Coffee
Simpatico Coffee has recently entered the market – and is already growing into one of the most successful low acid coffee brands. The enterprise headquartered at Holland, Michigan was introduced by Alexander Fink in 2010.
The reason for their success – is organic harvesting and modern roasting tools.
Arabica coffee beans are imported from Southern Mexico mountains. The beans are wild shade grown under a natural forest canopy and does not feature any kinds of pesticides, herbicides or other synthetic fertilizers.
After the harvest the beans are processed and only first class beans are mechanically sorted out.
Coffee beans are roasted in Revelation Roasters at their headquarters. This modern technology is one of the most efficient in the world and feature minimal to low emissions.
Small batches of beans are roasted so that the taste and aroma remains preserved. Below are some of their featured roasts and flavors.
Low Acid Common Roasts
- Bright bodied Medium Roast in a nutty flavor.
- Medium Dark Roast. in berry undertones. Perfect for iced coffee.
- Smoky Dark Roast having fruit favors. (Manufacturer’s featured and our preferred product)
- Espresso Extreme Dark Roast with dark chocolate notes.
The company also has some Specialty Roasts which are not mentioned here as all are acidic coffees.
If you prefer roasting your beans at home, then below are some tips for low acid roasts.
Which coffee roast is least acidic?
Science News – a reputed health general – published a report in 2010 which concluded that – dark roast coffee is easier on your tummies in comparison to a medium roast.
There is actually a lot you can do to control acid contents while dark roasting. Follow these hints:
Arabica Beans tend to be less acidic than Robusta beans. So go with the Arabica Ones.
Select the ones which are grown and cultivated on low elevation plantations. Higher elevations make beans more acidic while the lower ones restrict acid formations.
If you can lay hands on a single source single origin coffee beans – then it will be more easier to control acid levels.
Beans have a waxy coating. Most of the acids come from these waxes. Steaming the beans will help you remove the thin covering.
Don’t remove the outer pulp unless the beans inside have dried. This helps minimize acidity of coffee berries.
Go for a Dark Roast. Don’t leave the beans green or golden brown. Darker the shade – less acidic the coffee will be. Dark roasts are less acidic because of their flavor profile.
Note – The bitter taste that Dark Roasts generally offer is not because of acids – but because of one particular acid the quinic acid.
Roast the beans very slowly and turn off the gas valve in between to interrupt the roasting process. This again will help in reducing acid content.
To sum up all the tips – choose single source Arabica coffee beans grown on low-elevation farms. Dry them whole then roast them dark and take intervals in between. Theoretically this should give you beans which are very low in acid!
Having low acidic beans is half work done. Now you need to brew coffee which should be less acidic too.
Can you make coffee less acidic?
Here are some tips which will make the ph of coffee slip to 5.7 and even 5.9!
For a Hot Brew:
French Press is the commonest of all coffee preparations. It is also the least acidic! So go for the french process.
Use coarse ground beans. More coarse ground the beans are, the less acid they’ll secrete.
Include milk or cream. Calcium the basic content in dairy products is a great antacid. Introducing it – is the smartest and healthiest way to dilute acid content in your drink. (Even adding a flavorless calcium powder will do the trick.)
You can also use alkalizing stomach-soothing powders. They will completely neutralize the acids but can interfere with coffee flavors. If you can sacrifice a little bit of flavors then this one can be the best of all the options.
For a cold brew:
A cold brew – has significant low acid concentrations in relation to a hot one. The science is simple. Cold water is unable to decoct (extract) coffee bean oils. Hot water on the hand boils down all the chemicals and introduces them in your cup.
A cold brew is found out to be 70% less acidic than hot coffee. Additionally if you prepare a cold french press coffee then the ph is going to elevate further. Note – There is a lot different in cold coffee flavor notes.
Is low acid coffee good for GERD?
Gastroesophageal reflux disease, commonly referred as GERD, is a digestive disorder. In modern medical conditions and sedentary life style – this ailment has become very common.
Many people suffer from acid reflux, heartburn, indigestion, regurgitation of food or liquid in the back of the throat and chronic cough – all caused by GERD.
The best solution for them is coffee which is low in acids. They cause less discomfort and irritations. And more importantly it allows them to enjoy their favorite beverage.
Other than stomach issues – acidic foods can have serious impacts on your body. Most Importantly –
Acidic foods and beverages deteriorate bone density. Low bone density has become a rising concern. So instead of spending on high calcium diets – (which causes stones as a side effect) – for bones – it is easier to switch to low acid drinks.
Does Nespresso have low acid coffee?
A common misconception – going around coffee markets is Nespresso having low acid coffee. Below is the disclaimer is Nespresso’s words.
“The Nespresso Coffees have an average pH level of 5.0. There is no specific high- or low-level acid coffee in our range.”
Best Low acid coffees are the ones grown at lower altitudes. Soil is utmost important to lower acid contents. Brazil, Colombia, Indonesia, Sumatra, Peru, Guatemala, Mexico feature great farms for low acid coffee plants.
The beans are then hand – picked and processed. And finally the beans are brought to a moderate roast that develops the sugars and are not burnt in the process.
Last update on 2020-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API