Almost everyone hates Mondays. Why? For reasons best known to them. Things can get even much uglier when your Keurig machine wouldn’t work just fine. You wake up, head towards your kitchen, probably late, and when you stretch your hand to prepare that favorite flavor of your coffee, you realize that something isn’t right. Your Keurig not pumping water? That’s the last thing you would want to imagine.
How about you know some of the troubleshooting tricks and tips that you could apply? Such little ideas could save you from being frustrated and having an entire pathetic day. Don’t know any tricks yet? No worries. The following paragraphs are about to shed some limelight on the possible causes of why your Keurig won’t pump water and how you could easily fix them.
Clogged water lines and filter
Probably this is the major reason as to why your Keurig stopped pumping water or could only pump a little. In most cases, the kind of water that people use in their machines has been the cause of this malfunction. If you use tap water or water from the well, note that such waters have lots of minerals calcium inclusive. The minerals build up in the tiny water lines of the Keurig machine and as a result, clog the system.
If this is the case in your coffee maker, then you could try performing the following tricks to descale and clean your machine. The use of vinegar has proven to work like a charm.
- Fill the machine’s reservoir with undiluted white vinegar to the fill level or you could use a half vinegar and a half water. Whichever the case should work just fine.
- Next, place a coffee cup on the drip tray. Make sure the lid is air-tight closed and then run a brew cycle
- Run a second brew cycle after pouring the contents of the coffee cup back into the water reservoir. In this second round, make sure to turn off the machine immediately it begins dispensing the liquid.
- Allow the brewer rest for about 30 minutes before moving to the next step
- Now fill the water reservoir with distilled water then run another brew cycle.
- Repeat the above steps until the reservoir is drained completely
- The above steps if done appropriately should fix your problem within the shortest time possible. At times, you’ll realize that your coffee has a funny taste. In such scenarios, you’re only required to run multiple brew cycles using clean or rather distilled water until things get back to normal.
Suppose the above wasn’t your case, then you might want to check out the next possible fault. Remember that as much as this fixes may work for others, they might also fail to work in your case. You should, therefore, go through each exhaustively until you find something that works out for you.
Presence of air in the line
It’s very hard for one to think towards this direction. But you know what? This is a very possible cause that can trouble you a lot. As simple as it may sound or look. There is not much to do. Just follow the steps below and see what happens.
- Take out your reservoir from the machine and fill it up to about a quarter full or so then put it back
- Lift the reservoir up and down rapidly and consistently until you can see some small air bubbles coming up from the water intake place at the bottom.
- Keep doing so until there are no more bubbles appearing
- Once done, fill up the reservoir to the fill level then power your machine
- Things should get back up and be running if the steps above are followed to the later.
In this simple trick, the process helps air from the line to be driven out hence re-instating the machine functionality back to normal. For those who tried this trick out, it worked like a magic!
There could be something else that is neither clogging nor the presence of air. Let’s find out.
The More Water Please Error
In this case, you fill your Keurig as usual, press the brew button and boom! There pops a ‘More Water Please Error’. Disgusting? Oh! Yes…
Two possible things might have happened here. You’re either using the wrong type of water or your reservoir is causing the problem by sending some false signals to the machine. Fear not. Here is what you should do to eliminate this error.
- The first thing is to refill the water reservoir to the maximum level fill. Make sure it is well placed back in the unit then hit the continue button. Didn’t work? Let’s keep going
- Pull out the water reservoir and then empty the contents.
- Clean it by hand. Be sure to use a non-abrasive piece of cloth and rinse thoroughly.
- Make sure to check that the valve is not clogged at all
- Done? Fill the reservoir and place it back in the unit. Make sure it’s well placed. If still didn’t work, then you might want to try this final trick?
- In the reservoir, there is a float that usually runs on top of it. If messed up at the bottom, chances of your machine not getting correct signals are high.
- Simply do some little shaking or tapping and your Keurig machine should get back to doing things correctly.
One of the three possible fixes in the above bullets should help you overcome that problem. Kept switching the tricks until you crack a fix.
If you’re still experiencing the water pumping problem. There is still hope for you. Maybe it’s due to the following
It’s time you carefully checked whether your water pump is causing the major drawback. It is clear that some of this parts get to wear out after working for quite some time. If you find out that the pump has been totally damaged, then you’ll have to replace it with a new one. The only important thing here is for you to make sure that you purchase the exact one that matches the features of your current Keurig machine.
Do not make a mistake of getting something just for the sake of a replacement. That’s trouble that you don’t want to get yourself into. It’s also ideal for you to seek some technical or professional help especially if you’re new to such things.
Do not let that simple mistake hinder you from enjoying that favorite flavor.
Sometimes performing a full check might be required if you have all the time. It can be highly effective and also save you from the trouble of trying out every possible fix tricks. The process that we’re about to go through might be what you just need.
So if you’re determined to do it yourself, then let’s get down to doing it!
General fix for Keurig not pumping water
For you to perform this successfully, you’ll need the following tools;
- A screwdriver
- A small parking knife with a sharp end
- A toothpick or something equivalent and
- A plastic thumb-tack
It is advisable that you excise a lot of caution when walking down this road. That said, here are a few things to do that should fix your Keurig problem.
1. Start off by removing the cover under the handle
Being the most difficult part of the whole process, you should understand exactly what you’re. We do not want to get injure or cause more problems to the machine either. With the top cover removed, you’ll be able to clearly see the parts that are causing issues to your machine. Next…
2. Working on the inside
Since the interior parts are well visible, it’s time to find out what exactly is standing between you and your favorite cup of coffee. There is a blade that feeds the water into the pack. Also, you’ll see a rubber hose and another blade below this one. Using your toothpick, slowly and very carefully poke into the three holes in the upper blade.
You’ll notice some dried coffee grounds sticking around. Remove them as well. Remember to pay close attention to everything that you’re doing. Ensure an eagle eye on everything else. Check that all the hose ends are fine and no blockages. Once you feel satisfied with everything that you’ve done, it’s time to return the removed parts back in place.
3. Test your coffee maker
When done returning the upper case, replace the water reservoir, fill it up then run a brew cycle. Everything must have gone back to normal and your machine pumping water just fine.
While the above steps might appear tough and a bit technical, proceeding with moderation will ensure that you achieve exactly what you want. For you to get enough grasp of this final fixing trick, please read this post on Instructables.
We believe that with all the above tips and tricks, you’ll never miss your favorite coffee flavor again! If by any chance none of the above worked for you. Then you should consider picking up your phone and call the customer care support for more assistance.