Nespresso capsules are great because they’re a super fast and super convenient way to make espresso. But one huge downside of the capsules is their exorbitant cost. So how many times can you use a Nespresso capsule?
How many times can Nespresso capsules be reused?
For best results, Nespresso capsules should only be used once. They’re designed to be single use, and you’ll get good tasting coffee that way.
That being said, people do say that you can use a spent Nespresso capsule twice. The rationale behind that claim is that the second shot will be a little watered down, but still drinkable.
This post from Delishably goes even as far as to claim that the resulting coffee or espresso is good enough to reuse pods every time and effectively cut the cost of your coffee pods in half.
I’ll have to disagree there.
Even if we remove coffee pods from the equation, coffee grounds can only be used once. Any subsequent brews will result in brown water rather than coffee, and it will hardly be drinkable.
Of course you may not notice if you add lots of milk and sugar, but then what’s the point?
When you brew coffee – regardless of whether it’s from a coffee pod or coffee grounds – water dissolves soluble compuonds from the grounds.
As you can imagine, once the compounds are dissolved, they are no longer in the coffee!
So any subsequent brews using the same coffee will not taste half as good.
Learn how to brew the best coffee of your life
Sign up now to get started with our easy to follow and easy to implement guides. You'll never want to drink instant coffee again!
The right way to reuse Nespresso capsules
So now that we’ve established that Nespresso capsules can’t be used twice, there is a DIY hack for reusing Nespresso capsules.
Please bear in mind that using this hack will void your warranty, so you’ve been warned.
Once you have brewed one cup with the capsule, remove it and peel or cut off the foil.
Empty out the spent coffee grounds and rinse the capsule well. Air dry or use a towel to get it nice and dry.
Grind some coffee beans to espresso consistency: very fine, and fill the capsule almost up to the brim. This won’t be much coffee: just about 8-10 grams.
Take some foil and cut a circular shape out of it a little larger than the opening of the capsule.
Place the foil over the capsule and fold the edges down to make it fit. It won’t really stick, but it should fit.
Carefully place the capsule in your machine and close the lid.
Brew as you would.
If you can get this to work correctly, you can hypothetically use a single pod as many times as you like, as the aluminum part of the pod does not get damanged at all during the brew.
Can this damage your machine?
Nespresso machines are designed to use a specific kind of pod, and if you use hacked pods, you may find that the resulting coffee does not turn out quite as good, or the pod gets stuck in your machine, or grounds get stuck in the machine.
Using hacked capsules is generally a bad idea, but some folks have tried it and had success with it.
Then again, you’re voiding your warranty if you use any non-Nespresso capsule, but those are at least made to more rigorous standards than you can jerry rig in your kitchen.
Refillable Nespresso Capsules
Another option is to use refillable Nespresso capsules. Please bear in mind that these work best with OriginalLine machines, not the newer VertuoLine series.
The VertuoLine brewers are a much more closed ecosystem and that’s just the nature of these Nespresso machines, sadly.
Refillable capsules are really easy to use. Essentially, they use the same principle as the foil method described above, except that they come with a better means of sealing the pod.
Aside from that, everything else will be the same.
- 🌟Reusable Vertuoline Capsules💯-【Worry-free Material】 Made of food-grade 304 stainless steel, which is durable (up to 10,000 times!) and will never rust.
- 🌟Stainless Steel Nespresso Vertuoline Pods💯-【Save Your Wallet, Save the Earth】Save money from everyday's pods and make a contribution to protect our homeland.
- 🌟Reusable Coffee Capsules💯-【Best Version(Rich Crema)】Precise coffee filter makes your coffee that rich in oil, mellow, smooth and delicate taste.
- 🌟Refillable Nespresso Pods💯-【Easy operation】Fill it full with espresso grinds, press it tightly, screw and put into your Vertuoline brewer to enjoy a cup with a layer of crema!
- 🌟 Stainless Steel Reusable Coffee Pod💯-【Double Espresso Cup】Brew a cup of 2.5oz espresso in 1 minute with the freedom of being able to choose any coffee you enjoy!!!If you prefer big coffee cup, we have 8oz vertuoline capsule available in our store.‼💰GUARANTEE: Email me for refund or replacement within 180 days if anything wrong.
- Compatible: Refillable pods compatible with most Nespresso machines.
- 100 Lids: Foil lids create pressure in the capsule during brewing, resulting in great crema.
- Environmentally-friendly: Stainless steel coffee capsules can be used in a long time. Foil lids are recyclable. That will never harmful to environment.
- Safe for your body: People should not brew espresso through hot plastic. Our lids are made of foil, refillable capsules are stainless steel, that will not absorb the taste or color of different espresso blends.
- Lightweight coffee filter, filter, easy to carry, compact and light, forming a perfect whole, not easy to fall off, bringing a variety of self-service coffee flavors.
So what does all this mean? How many times can you reuse a Nespresso capsule? I still say zero times. The capsules are meant to be used once and then thrown away or preferably sent back to Nespresso for recycling.
Finally, in all honesty, if you’re going through all the trouble of peeling and resealing a pod, why not just use a regular espresso machine where you properly tamp and brew a shot of espresso?
Last update on 2020-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API