Pour over coffee is a fickle brew. As the name suggests, the pour is the most critical element. To make pouring easier and for a better resulting cup of coffee, baristas like to use gooseneck kettles. If you’re looking to brew better pour over coffee, then take a look at our picks for the best gooseneck kettle.
Why all the hype about Gooseneck kettles?
A gooseneck kettle is also known as a pour over kettle. As the name suggests, it is a special kettle used in preparation of pour over coffee. Its most striking feature is the long and bendy spout.
It’s all about the spout
This features sharply distinguishes it from other types of kettles. The main purpose of this coffee kettle is two-fold. The first is to give the user a high degree of control over the speed of the water. The bent neck also helps to slow down the flow of the water.
This is essential in the preparation of pour-over coffee where the water must be poured slowly and in a circular fashion for optimal results.
The spout also lets you laser-target(well, sort of) where the water falls. To make perfect pour over coffee, you need to have as much control over the saturation of the water and coffee as possible, so the more accuracy you have, the better.
It’s also super useful in blooming coffee where you just want to wet the grounds enough to saturate them. If you brew coffee with a regular kettle, you’ll know how difficult it can get to pour a steady stream of water without too many splashes.
One way to get more accuracy than a pour over kettle would be just to use an eyedropper or a syringe!
Don’t forget the handle
Secondly, the handle design of this coffee kettle is specifically tailored to allow a full hands-on grip to the user. As well as providing comfort during pouring, the degree of flexibility is increased. The user can have full control over the kettles positioning without any danger of touching the hot kettle.
The handle may seem like something you would not give a second thought to, but most pour over gooseneck kettles actually pay lots of attention to handle design.
There are both manual and electrical varieties of gooseneck kettle which we will review. Manual(non-electric) kettles are of course simpler to operate and usually come with no method of measuring the current water temperature other than the user’s best estimations.
Learn how to brew the best coffee of your life
Sign up now to get started with our easy to follow and easy to implement guides. You'll never want to drink instant coffee again!
Note: A hack for if your kettle does not have a thermometer is to let the water rest off of the heat after boiling for 30 seconds to 45 seconds. In this much time, water usually will drop down to the 195 degrees celcius required to brew great coffee.
Electrical gooseneck kettles on the other hand, can often be pre-set to boil at a certain temperature to produce the best possible results. For the purpose of this review, we will take a closer look at the best from both categories.
As you can see, to make good pour over coffee, a gooseneck kettle is quite vital.
5 Best gooseneck kettles for making super pour over coffee
1. SkyGenius Pour-over Kettle(thermometer built in)
The first in our review of the best available coffee kettles is one of the most popular consumer choices. The SkyGenius kettle represents everything that is positive about buying a gooseneck pour over.
The temperature of the water can be accurately monitored with the clear and precise gauge which you can find on the lid. Unlike many others, the gauge on the SkyGenius also does not steam up.
This effectively means that you can ensure the perfect temperature every time. This sort of precision is very difficult with some other manual kettles.
It is a very durable kettle. The SkyGenius features a triple layered base. This means that it should stay resistant to rust for many years, even decades. This type of long lasting durability means that this model represents a fantastic value investment.
This model has been designed and welding to the highest level specifications. This quality process ensures that the kettle lid does not become displaced during pouring. This is a vital safety element as well as helping guarantee there will be no accidental spillage along the way.
The SkyGenius is a fantastic all round purchase. It is also sure to have a long lifespan.
The SkyGenius kettle is a great overall kettle and is a good fit for brewers of all skill levels.
2. Coffee Gator Gooseneck Kettle
Next in our review is this top of the range offering from Coffee Gator. Constructed with the highest degree of care and attention, this model is commonly referred to as the “Lamborghini of kettles”.
Multiple size options
This model comes in two variations. Both the 1l and the 1.2l versions are available. These are standard kettle sizes which provide for several cups of your favorite pour over coffee.
The handy temperature gauge on the lid of this stainless steel model provides the user with the most accurate possible information in regard to the temperature.
This information is all the more key in this kind of coffee kettle since the process of making the best pour over coffee incorporates so much precision. Overheating the water is likely to scorch the beans and reduce the overall taste quality. For this reason, the build quality is so important when purchasing a gooseneck kettle.
Finally, Coffee Gator offer a generous money back guarantee on all of their models. This speaks volumes about their belief in the product. This offer should also extend to boosting consumer confidence.
- Enjoy exceptional coffee at home. This kettle is the Lamborghini of the coffee world. ‘Won’t it make me look like one of those ridiculous hipsters?’ Nope, you’ll just be drinking better coffee and looking like a pro while you’re making it
- Engineered in premium-grade stainless steel with a gooseneck spout for steady water flow (essential for hand drip perfection). It’s the first kettle with a unique triple-layer base so it works on all stovetops and stays rust-free and safe for decades
- Burnt coffee makes everyone sad. When water is too hot it scorches your precious beans. Too cold and you’ll never reach the full flavor potential. The built-in temperature gauge eliminates guesswork and disappointment and delivers more smiles per cup
- Drink better coffee. Unlike the competition, we never compromise on quality, service or your happiness. Inferior kettles leak rust into your water over time - ours could outlive your kitchen. The search for coffee that makes you smile ends here
- Complete Peace of Mind - Thousands of customers trust us to deliver on quality and service. Our 100% satisfaction promise means we’re devoted to delivering maximum joy. Whether it’s a refund or just some friendly assistance we’re always there to help
3. Bonavita Digital Variable Temperature Electric Gooseneck Kettle
Next up in our review of the best electrical gooseneck kettles is one of the most popular among users. The Bonavita digital model is one of the leading products in the field. This is for great reason, its variety of features make this a must have device for anyone who is serious about owning a gooseneck kettle.
It comes in both standard sized 1l and large sized 1.7l variations. This provides you with ample space to get hot water to make coffees for the entire family.
The adjustable temperature gauge which allows for setting at one degree intervals between 140-212 degrees means you can program the water to be at just the correct temperature to ensure perfect results.
Variable temperature control and heat hold
The 60 minute heat and hold feature means that you can also be busy with other things and know that your coffee will still be waiting for you at the perfect moment and heat.
The ease of the brewing process is further supplemented by the presence of a digital timer display which can show both the time and the current temperature of the water with great accuracy.
The fact that this electric kettle also comes complete with a one-year warranty means you can rest safely in the knowledge that the company has you fully supported in the event of any problems.
The heat and hold feature is very welcome since you don’t have to immediately start pouring. Many times, I find myself having to reheat the water because I had to unexpectedly step away before I could get to brewing. This electric kettle takes care of that.
- Adjustable in one-degree increments between 140˚-212˚F (60˚- 98˚C).
- 1000 watts for quick heating
- Real-time temperature display
- Hold Button heats and holds at temperatures between 140˚-208˚F for up to 60 minutes. Temperature Set Button for quick access to preset brewing temperatures
- Count-up timer makes it easy to keep track of the brewing process
4. Doctor Hetzner Electric Gooseneck Kettle
This model from Doctor Hetzner is a very sleek and stylish, modern electric kettle with a variety of useful features.
Preset temperature control
Besides the expected features such as being constructed from food safe and durable stainless steel, this is one of the first models of its kind to feature preset temperature controls. This allows you to have a minimal approach when it comes to preparing the perfect temperature water for your pour-over.
By eliminating the guesswork and even providing a stylish and modern digital display on the handle, this gooseneck makes sure that your coffee will be perfect time and again.
The temperature control can also be varied in measures of one degree up to a maximum of 212 degrees. These features along with the powerful 1,000 Watt output of this model mean it can boil a full kettle of water in only 6 minutes.
The fact that the company trust the product enough to not only offer a two-year guarantee, but also a 30 day, no reason guarantee is a testament to customer satisfaction and overall product quality.
5. Gourmia GPK610 Electric Pour Over Gooseneck Kettle
Last but not least in our review series of pour over kettles is this stylish and efficient model from Gourmia. The GPK610 comes in two sleek variants.
One features a digital display on the handle of the stainless steel 1 liter kettle. The other meanwhile, moves the digital display on to the base of the power stand. Both give this model a slick modern edge.
These functions allow you to delicately adjust the temperature of the water by a single degree at a time. This allows for the perfect temperature to be reached for enjoying your pour over with minimal fuss.
The model also allows for the water temperature to be held at a constant heat in case you find yourself distracted or like to prepare for later.
In an ever competitive market, this is the ideal combination of style and efficiency. This model will sit proudly in almost all modern kitchens.
6. Fellow Stagg EKG 1200 Watt Gooseneck Kettle
We saved this one for last because it’s a super high end model and is the most expensive of the lot. This is the kettle you get to impress your pour over coffee snob friends.
Great flow control
The Stagg EKG spout makes sure you have excellent flow control and can pour incredibly accurately. You’ll be making superb concentric circles in your pour over coffee.
The capacity is on the smaller side at 0.9 liters, so you’re looking at making enough for about 2 people at once.
Still, the nature of pour over is slow and manual coffee, so it’s not so much of a big deal.
PID temperature control
Featuring a little computer that runs a PID loop to control the temperature which you can set with the built-in dial, you can heat up water very quickly with the 1200 W heating element and the PID loop will make sure the temperature remains constant for up to one hour.
You can have 250 ml of water ready in just under two minutes.
The Stagg is undoubtedly the king of pour over kettles, but it has a significant downside: it costs a LOT of money. If you’re really passionate about your coffee and money is no object, the Stagg is the way to go.
- SIMPLE AESTHETIC MEETS POWERFUL DESIGN: Finally, an electric pour-over kettle that pours as good as it looks. The Stagg EKG Electric Pour-Over Kettle marries handsome design with flawless functionality for the ultimate brewing experience. Modern and minimal to complement your other kitchenware. Proudly designed in California. Want to see the temperature in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit? Just switch the temperature toggle on the rear of the base
- PRECISION ENGINEERING: Stagg EKG’s precision pour spout is designed for the optimal pour-over flow rate. With its fluted tip, Stagg EKG has to-the-drop precision with no drip back. Stagg EKG’s counterbalanced handle moves the center of mass back towards your hand - encouraging a more comfortable, slower pour. To speed up your brewing process, Stagg EKG has a 1200 watt quick heating element. Switch the toggle on the back to HOLD mode, and Stagg EKG will maintain the desired temp for 60 minutes.
- VARIABLE TEMPERATURE CONTROL: Did you know that freshly roasted coffee should be brewed at a higher temperature than an older bag of beans? Bean, roast, grind size, and brew method all factor into your brewing temp, and with Stagg EKG, you have to-the-degree control. By turning the dial, you select your temperature ranging from 135°F to 212°F. Even Different types of tea require different temperatures, Stagg EKG’s variable temperature control makes steeping the perfect cup of tea easy.
- BREW LIKE A PRO: Used in barista competitions across the US, Stagg EKG makes brewing like a pro easy. A sleek LCD screen indicates the desired “Set Temp” and “Real Time Temp” with an illuminating element to show the heating progress. After the water has heated, use Stagg EKG’s built-in Brew Stopwatch to time your extraction. Ever wonder about those flavors listed on the bag to describe coffee? Use the right tools like Stagg EKG, and you’ll coax out taste notes like cherry and citrus.
- FULL 1-YEAR WARRANTY AND OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE: Fellow Industries Inc. warrants this product against any defects that are due to faulty material or workmanship for a one-year period after the original date of consumer purchase. Fellow has made customer service and experience one of our number one priorities. We’re proud of our fast response times and we will do whatever it takes to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase.
Gooseneck (pour over) kettle buying guide
There are a few factors that make the difference between a good pour-over kettle and a great pour-over kettle. Let’s have a look.
By and large, most pour-over electric kettle models come in the 1 liter variety, which should be enough for brewing up to three cups of coffee at a single time(technically you can brew 4, too, since 1 liter is roughly one quart and one quart is 4 cups).
It really depends on how many people you wish to brew for at once. If you want to serve a large gathering of your friends and family at once it may be easier to get a bigger kettle so you can brew it all in one go.
The adage “you get what you pay for” is certainly true for these models, too. This is a hot water kettle, and heat, water, and metals usually equal rust, unless you’ve got high quality stainless steel.
Any rusting will most definitely ruin your brewing experience so please get a kettle made with high quality metal. Lower quality metals will corrode much faster, and not only will that mess up the finish of the kettle, but also its capacity to retain and conduct heat, and its overall strength, too.
Depending on how the spout is shaped both on the outside and at the joint into the kettle, the water will either flow out of it smoothly or it will have a tendency to splash around.
The key to making good pour over coffee is to slowly, evenly extract the flavors from it through a consistent flow rate. Uneven pouring or splashing will certainly mess that up.
So it’s not really a matter of how fast the water can flow from the spout, but a matter of how consistently it can do so.
There’s a reason drip coffee makers take so long to brew, which is that the water must drip at a consistent rate to extract the most flavor.
To achieve the same result with pour over, you need to pour slowly, consistently, and over a bit of time. Since we’re pouring the coffee slowly by hand, you’ll be holding it for quite a while.
As a result, you want to have a really comfortable grip on your kettle so the handle design, material, and comfort is certainly something to consider before buying.
You can eyeball the image of the kettle to get an idea of how comfortable the grip is. You’ll notice that most manufacturers make little finger indentations on the handle.
Pour over kettle alternatives
In case you have not been able to get your hands on a pour over kettle, or if you’re waiting for yours to reach your doorstep, there are a few alternatives that you can use to try and make good pour over coffee in the meantime.
First off, it’s important to use a kettle that has as small of a spout as possible. The smaller the spout, the easier it will be to make a good cup of coffee.
This is because a small spout will reduce the rate of flow in the water and will afford you a lot more control over your pouring technique.
If you don’t have a kettle with a small spout, another thing you can do is grab a small milk pourer or similar cup that has a small built-in spout. Just pour the water from the kettle into the pourer, and use that for making your cup of coffee.
As an added bonus, this technique will help bring the water temperature down a little so it comes below boiling!
You could even use a gravy boat or something similar, as those also have long spouts and let you control the speed of the pour very well.
The best all-round kettle from our list is the Coffee Gator. If you’re not too interested in reading up on technical specs and just want something that doesn’t break the bank and works, the Coffee Gator is the way to go.
If you’ve got a lot of money to spend on pour over coffee, the Stagg is an amazingly functional and good looking kettle that will also double as a showpiece.
Whether you prefer the traditional style manual gooseneck kettle or a more modern electric kettle with preset temperature controls and heat preserving features, there is no doubt that to best enjoy your pour over coffee how it was intended, having the best gooseneck kettle is a vital component.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make pour over coffee?
Pour over coffee can be made using a funnel and a paper filter. You put the coffee grounds in the filter, and you pour water in concentric circles. The water filters through the coffee into the cup.
Can you use a regular kettle instead of a gooseneck kettle?
You can, but it’s harder to control the flow rate and accuracy of the pour. This is fine for most coffees, but for best results with pour over, use a gooseneck kettle.
Is pour over better than french press?
The question of whether pour over is better than french press is very subjective. French press tends to have more mouthfeel than pour over, but pour over tends to produce a lighter, brighter cup.
Last update on 2020-07-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API