We can all agree that coffee and espresso is one of the best parts of life. The scent and aroma of coffee in the early morning is the chip that thousands, if not, millions of people around the world so joyously await for every day.
Now, as all of us coffee lovers know – there are different brands and different espresso makers, which can make a world of a difference. In this, one of the best brands in the industry today is DeLonghi, and this DeLonghi ECP3420 review will show you exactly why.
Known for their famous designs, high-quality technology and innovation, and delicious espresso shots – you can’t go wrong. Below, we will explore the product’s features and benefits, the advantages and disadvantages, and a few different things to consider before making your purchase.
DeLonghi ECP3420 Review: Who is it for?
The DeLongih ECP3420 is an entry level machine, with very basic brewing features. As such, it’s a good stepping stone for starting out with drinking espresso and cappuccinos/lattes.
It’s not very expensive, so you won’t have to break the bank to get your feet wet with espresso. It may not be able to perform as well as a higher-end machine, but it will brew decent coffee.
Additionally, the steam wand is a good way to practice your frothing and steaming skills!
Design and features
At first glances, anyone who can appreciate an espresso machine will thoroughly enjoy the visual appeal of this DeLonghi machine.
Made from professional-grade materials from the inside out, coffee lovers will be excited to feature this product on their kitchen countertops or breakfast nook, without fear of it stealing all the attention.
Learn how to brew the best coffee of your life
Sign up now to get started with our easy to follow and easy to implement guides. You'll never want to drink instant coffee again!
This specific espresso shines due to its impressive 15 bars of pressure and stainless steel boiler, which many veteran espresso brewers can attest is great, given this product’s cost-friendly price tag.
With a 37-ounce water tank, you can brew numerous shots of espresso without the hassle of having to change the water or even clean the water tank.
Partner this feature with the incredible frothing nozzle and wand – and this machine gives coffee lovers an opportunity to become a true at-home barista.
With that being said, let’s overview some of the pros and cons of this specific machine.
- The DeLonghi ECP3420 is relatively compact, making it a great feature piece in anyone’s kitchen, or anywhere else in the house!
- As far as the quality of espresso goes, consumers can expect the same quality DeLonghi form this machine. With 15 bars of pressure, coffee lovers can get the traditional shot of authentic espresso.
- Consumers will appreciate and admire the incredibly affordable price-tag
- This machine has the capabilities of creating self-steamed milk and foam, which is great for the coffee drinker who likes to make traditional lattes or other specialty beverages.
- You can brew single and double shots
- This machine comes with a very large water tank, which is great for individuals that do not want to constantly refill the water
- The biggest downside to this espresso machine is that there is a shorter steam time in comparison to other machines, so you may not be able to froth as much milk in one go.
- In addition to the previous con, this machine struggles with handling compact espresso grinds. Users will not be able to pack too much to make an even stronger shot of espresso
- Some consumers may find it frustrating that this machine has a tendency to get dirty quickly causing owners to clean their machine more frequently. If you skip out on cleaning, it’s subject to break down quicker.
Buying guide for entry-level machines
Now, when you first look at this price tag – you might be wondering, “Is this too good to be true? How could such a brand offer a product so cheap?”
With that being said, it’s imperative, as a consumer, to be aware and take numerous things into consideration before purchasing an inexpensive machine, such as this one.
To better help you out and make the purchasing process that much easier, we have a few tips and tricks for you.
So, you are in the market for an inexpensive espresso machine because perhaps you don’t want to pay the price tag of a Jura, right? Well, it’s vital that if you plan to brew espresso shots for years, to take into consideration the durability of the machine itself.
I mean, no one wants to purchase a brand-new espresso machine to find out that some part broke. Now, the thing to really consider is that these are inexpensive machines.
So, many of these companies may use cheaper materials when making their espresso maker. With that being said, it’s essential to do due diligence and verify that what you are purchasing is worth every penny.
This is critical to take into consideration! After all, the grinds play a pivotal role in whether or not your espresso and coffee in the morning are delicious or not.
Additionally, check-in to make sure it can handle the amount of espresso grinds that you want to use when making an espresso.
The DeLonghi ECP3420, in particular, does a great job at making quality espresso shots, but struggles when users pack too much espresso in efforts to make a stronger shot. This is quite typical of products of this level.
Espresso machines can be very messy – if you are not careful. Typically, inexpensive machines are prone to making bigger messes and can present challenges to owners.
With that being said, prior to purchasing any inexpensive espresso machine, we highly recommend researching and measuring how easy a product is to clean.
If you are finding out that many people are complaining about cleaning the machine or that it’s prone to making messes, you might want to find a new product. Reason being, this can lead to future problems and wear and tear.
When we say the word “storage” we are not talking about physical storage space, but rather the actual size of the machine itself.
A poorly placed machine can be an eyesore instead of a centerpiece! With that being said, it’s important to find a machine that satisfies your interior design tastes.
However, you’re toeing a fine line here – good looking machines don’t always make good coffee.
Frothing and Specialty Drinks
Do you find yourself drinking fancy specialty coffee drinks? If so, you need to be incredibly cautious when picking out espresso machines.
Reason being, in many cases, they don’t come with this feature. Now, if the machine does come with a manual frothing wand, that’s fantastic!
Just make sure, prior to purchasing any machine, that the wand is well-built and can produce the amount of steam needed to make your special beverages.
Additionally, some machines have automatic steaming and frothing capabilities but for a higher price tag.
The second to last consideration that we want our readers to think about when purchasing an inexpensive espresso machine is all about the water.
Typically, these machines are designed from cheaper and smaller materials, resulting in smaller water tanks. Now, for some people, they might not care about smaller water tanks.
But, if you don’t want to be changing the water tank and cleaning it on a daily basis, it’s important to look at the water tank size and capacity.
Additionally, it may prove beneficially to see if the water tank is removable and how easy that part of the machine will be to clean. Take it from us, this can save you a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to clean it.
Taste and pressure
Can we really forget about the taste of the espresso? After all, the entire goal of an espresso machine is to produce the richest and creamiest shot of espresso.
With that being said, when it comes to starter espresso machines, it’s vital that you notate the type of pressure and system that a machine uses.
This is a key indicator as to how good the shot will be. When it comes to this espresso machine, we knew that DeLonghi would not cut this machine short. That is why almost any previous consumer praises the quality of shots that this machine produces.
Bottom line: Is it Worth It?
Most consumers are always asking themselves “is this product worth it?” After our extensive review and analysis of this specific espresso machine, we can say with confidence, if you are looking for a cost-friendly espresso machine that can still produce the quality espresso shots of other DeLonghi machines that this is most certainly worth it.
Now, it’s not the most innovative or most-technologically advanced product; however, it’s good enough for beginner espresso aficionados that are seeking to bring the strong scent and aroma of delicious espresso into their home.
- 15 bar professional pressure assures quality results every time. Input power 1100 watts
- Second tier drip tray to accommodate larger cups. Convenient Filter Storage: The machine has convenient storage for your filters
- Removable 37 ounce water tank. Maximum cup height -3. 5 - 5 inches. Always use 2% milk at refrigerator temperature
- Self-priming operation for minimum start up preparation. Stainless steel boiler system
- Kindly review the user manual under product details for set up and usage related guidance and instructional video. The machine is equipped with double wall filters for high quality crema every time
- 1 DeLonghi ECP3420 Review: Who is it for?
- 2 Buying guide for entry-level machines
- 3 Bottom line: Is it Worth It?
- 4 Frequently asked questions
Frequently asked questions
Are DeLonghi machines worth it?
DeLonghi is one of the most well-known brands in the espresso and coffee space, and as a result, most of their products shine in terms of quality. If you’d like the reassurance of a coffee maker produced by a reputed and well-known company, DeLonghi machines are a good way to go.
Is the DeLonghi ECP3420 an automatic espresso machine?
The DeLonghi ECP3420 falls under the class of semi automatic espresso machines. This means the machine can brew a shot automatically, but you have to grind and measure coffee manually, and milk steaming and frothing must also be done by hand.
Can I use pre-ground espresso with this machine?
You can, but the best approach to get good quality coffee is to use coffee beans and grind just before brewing.
Last update on 2020-07-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API