For keeping coffee hot on the go, you need to have the best coffee thermos. What makes a thermos good? There’s a lot of contention here, but we’ve tried to narrow down the choices to ones that are practical and don’t cost an arm and a leg.
Do you prefer something nice and small that you can easily carry with you wherever you go? If it’s not too bulky, you can easily carry it with you to your car on in the subway.
Or do you need a LOT of coffee to last you throughout the day, in which case you need a huge 20 ounce thermos that can also keep your coffee hot throughout the day.
Since preferences vary so wildly, we’ve gone ahead and tried to select something for everyone. On with the show!
10 Best coffee thermoses: our top picks
1. Thermos Stainless King
Matte colors and awesome finishing aside, the Thermos Stainless King is an excellent thermos for storing your coffee. The interior and exterior are both made of stainless steel and it is completely rust-proof.
It will store either hot or cold beverages like a champ and can maintain the temperature throughout the day and the thermos won’t get hot or sweat.
So if you pack this up in the morning and take it to work with you, you can make a 40 ounce preparation of coffee last you until you get back home.
Note: 40 ounces is 5 cups of coffee, which is more than the recommended amount per day. If you’re going to make 40 ounces of coffee, you should be sharing it with others.
Like the Stanley thermos below, you can use the lid as a cup on the go.
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention, hot or cold
- Unbreakable stainless steel interior and exterior
- Cool to the touch with hot liquids, sweat-proof with cold
- Insulated stainless steel serving cup
- 40 oz. / 1.2 L capacity
2. Thermos Compact Beverage Bottle
Since this post is about coffee thermoses it should be no surprise at all that more than one of our suggestions is indeed from the Thermos brand itself.
Unlike the one above, the Thermos Compact bottle is much smaller, topping out at 25 ounces – though we suggest getting the 16 ounce one for the most portability.
Throw it into a backpack or a purse and you won’t even notice that it’s taking up space.
This thermos is really all about the portability. Other features are pretty much on par with what you’d expect from Thermos: the ability to keep things hot or cold, a spill-resistant cap and mouth, and sweat/heat resistance.
Of course, the top of the thermos can unscrew and turn into a cup for enjoying a drink on the go.
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology locks in temperature to preserve flavor and freshness to keep beverages hot for 12 hours or cold for 24
- Durable 18/8 stainless steel interior and exterior withstand the demands of everyday use
- Convenient twist and pour stopper makes serving simple
- Built-in stainless steel cup lets you enjoy your beverage anywhere
- Light and compact design for effortless transport and storage; stays cool to the touch with hot liquids and is condensation-free with cold
3. Contigo West Loop Travel Mug
The West Loop Autoseal travel mug is a sleek and functional travel mug that’s awesome for keeping your coffee hot for up to 7 hours. In case iced coffee is your thing, it will stay cool for up to 18 hours.
The lid opens and shuts with the touch of a button and the AUTOSEAL in the name is its proprietary seal which keeps the liquids securely in the mug. There won’t be any unwanted leaks or messes with the West Loop!
Additionally, it comes it a LOT of different colors so if you want one for you and your partner you can pick up something in your favorite colors – and you’ll probably be able to find the color easily, too.
- Our lids are sealed: AUTOSEAL technology is Leak and spill proof (Yes, there is a difference)
- For the Long Haul drinks stay hot up to 7 hours and cold up to 18 with THERMALOCK Vacuum Insulation
- Lend a Hand easy one handed drinking from this travel coffee mug with the push of a button. Clean Up top rack dishwasher safe lid, hand wash body
4. Thermos King Travel Tumbler
Much like the #1 in our list, the Thermos King travel tumbler is it’s smaller cousin – that was a full sized thermos and this one is a tumbler that is more portable.
Hot coffee? Check, this tumbler can store it for up to 5 hours and keep it warm. Iced coffee? Check, this can keep it cold for up to 18 hours.
Because of its compact and portable size it can definitely fit in most car cup holders.
In case you prefer tea on the rare occasion, there is a little tea hook built in to the tumbler where you can place a tea bag or pouch to steep your beverage on the go.
For best results and prolonging the life of the product, wash with warm soapy water and do not use bleach or any abrasives. It’s best not to store anything in the thermos for more than 24 hours at a time.
- Thermos vacuum insulation technology for maximum temperature retention, hot or cold.
- Durable stainless steel interior and exterior
- Cool to the touch with hot liquids, sweat proof with cold
- Built in tea hook, easily holds tea bags or most loose leaf infusers
- Fits most automobile cup holders; Capacity 16 Ounce
5. Stanley Classic Vacuum Bottle
The Stanley Classic is, like it’s name, a classic. Stanley has been making thermoses for over 100 years and when they first invented their thermos, they changed the way people had hot drinks for good!
The body and the lid are both insulated. If you’re on the go, the lid will double as a cup so you can enjoy your coffee in smaller portions in case you want to ration it out.
It’s made of rust proof stainless steel and is 100% BPA free – this thermos/mug is the good stuff.
What’s more, it comes in a multitude of sizes depending on your coffee appetite: 16 ounces, 25 ounces, 1.4 qt and 2 qt.
2 quarts is half a gallon (nearly 2 litres), so that should be enough coffee for an entire family picnic!
- 18/8 stainless steel won't rust; naturally BPA-free
- Insulated lid doubles as 8oz/236mL cup
- Leak proof and fully packable. Dimensions- 3.80 L x 4.50 W x 14.25 H inches
- Lifetime Warranty
6. Zojirushi Stainless Steel Mug
When it comes to food storage, one of the biggest names that comes to mind is Zojirushi. This mug from Zojirushi(model number SM-SA60-BA for those who wish to get technical) is sleek and lightweight, and has some ingenious features for handling hot beverages.
The lid, for example, must be opened in two steps, so you don’t accidentally spill any coffee when prying the top open. Since this mug is designed to be drunk from directly, there is a little air outlet near the mouthpiece which helps the coffee flow out evenly.
Made with BPA-free plastic and stainless steel, the Zojirushi sports a 4 year warranty on heat retention.
Did we mention it’s really easy to clean, too?
- Stopper disassembles for thorough cleaning
- 20oz. capacity with 1-1/2" opening
- Compact design takes minimal space while maximizing capacity
- New pictograph lock. Stainless steel vacuum insulation keeps beverages hot or cold for hours
- 5 year warranty on heat retention
7. RTIC Double Wall Tumbler(Vacuum Insulated)
Another hard hitter when it comes to tumblers and thermoses for coffee, the RTIC tumbler is double-walled to prevent sweating or heating up on the outside, as well as maintaining the internal temperature of the liquid.
You can take hot coffee or iced coffee with you in this tumbler and it can maintain the temperature from morning till evening.
It comes in a wide variety of volumes from 12 ounces up to 40 ounces. Please bear in mind that the 40 ounce tumbler will be quite huge and may not fit inside a regular car cup holder! The sweet spot is the 20 ounce tumbler which is just enough coffee for 2-3 hits of caffeine.
Finally, the base is tapered to help you grip it better so you can sip while driving or walking.
Note: Please be careful with hot beverages on the road!
- Double wall vacuum insulation - maximum temperature retention & insulates Hands from the cold
- Keeps ice Longer - holds ice for up to 24 hours
- Keeps it hot - works great for hot beverages
- 18/8 stainless steel - strong stainless steel construction
- Narrow and tall design. Easy grip base. No sweat exterior
8. Hydro Flask Travel Coffee Mug
The Hydro Flask comes in sizes from 12 to 18 ounces. It has a wide mouth you can use for pouring into glasses or cups, or you can also drink directly from it.
It’s made from BPA-free plastic and 18/8 stainless steel which can keep your beverages hot or cold for the duration of your workday.
The Hydro Flask is quite versatile as there are a variety of different caps(such as one with a built in straw) that you can buy separately for it: the Wide Mouth Flex Cap, the Hydro Flip Lid, and the Wide Mouth Straw Lid.
Paint is powder coated on the steel exterior which promotes a strong grip. The finish won’t chip or wear away that easily, either.
Whether you’re buying this for coffee, freshly squeezed juice, or water, the Hydro Flask can handle it all. This is especially good for families where one day you want to take your coffee to work, and the next day, you want something to give your kids water in to take to soccer practice.
- DESIGN IN MIND: With it's easy-access wide mouth, the sleek design holds the same volume of liquid as other leading coffee thermos brands. Also, safety is top-of-mind, as the bottles are made out of non-toxic BPA-free plastics & 18/8 food-grade stainless steel.
- SLIP-FREE GRIP: Unlike other leading coffee thermoses, Hydro Flask has a powder coat, which gives you a solid grip. The Powder Coat works with the premium TempShield insulation, which prevents condensation from forming on the outside of the bottle, to give you exactly what you want in an everyday refreshment delivery system.
- JUST THE RIGHT SIZE: Meets your everyday hydration needs in one container, all while keeping it piping hot or ice cold and fitting comfortable and conveniently in your hand or your vehicles' cup holders. The 12 oz size fits under most single cup coffee brewing systems, and the 16 oz and 20 oz coffee flasks are the same size as most standard to-go coffee sizes, so you don't have to use another paper cup.
- INSULATION INNOVATION: The double-walled, vacuum insulated TempShield Insulation, the same technology used in all Hydro Flask products, will ensure that your beverage of choice maintains its temperature for many hours to come. Hot drinks up to 6 hours, and cold drinks up to 24 hours.
- EASY ACCESS HYDRO FLIP: Whether you're on the trail or the chair lift, our Hydro Flip Lid makes it easy to sip lattes and hot chocolate on the go. Please note that the Hydro Flip Lid is not leakproof.
9. YETI Rambler Stainless Steel Tumbler
The YETI Rambler is a really interesting design. It has what you’d always expect from a good thermos or tumbler: a double walled vacuum made from 18/8 stainless steel and BPA-free plastic, but the really interesting design touch here is the clear lid.
Most of the tumblers we’ve reviewed so far have a little mechanism where you can open the mouthpiece in the cap and drink directly, but you must remove the lid to sip from the YETI.
The lid, however, is clear so you always know exactly how much of your beverage is still left and you don’t have to guess by the weight.
It’s not flimsy by any means, as the lid seals very snugly onto the tumbler and is very spill resistant.
These tumblers range from 20 ounces to 30 ounces and all of the sizes will fit in a standard car cup holder. It’s also dishwasher safe, which is a plus.
- With the YETI Rambler 20 oz. Tumbler, your beverages will stay ice cold or piping hot longer
- We over-engineered these double-wall insulated tumblers with an 18/8 stainless steel body, which means your drink still keeps its temperature no matter how much of a beating this cup takes
- They're BPA-free (obviously), have a No Sweat Design to make sure your hands stay dry, and are dishwasher-safe
- Its crystal-clear dishwasher safe shatter resistant lid lets you check your drink status in a flash. Refill, anyone?
- The YETI 20 oz Rambler Tumbler stands 6 7/8 in high and has a lip diameter of 3 1/2 in. All YETI Tumblers are sized to fit in standard sized cup holders
10. Zojirushi Stainless Steel Mug
The last but not least pick on our list is another thermos from Zojirushi. I suppose that’s part of the Xerox problem, right? Calling a Zojirushi bottle a thermos? 🙂
These bottles come in a wide variety of colors starting with the standard, elegant stainless steel finish and a host of other colors to match your taste.
You can find the bottle in 12 ounces and 16 ounce styles. As always, it is double walled, stainless steel, and insulated, so you won’t feel the hot or cold on the outside and this thermos can keep your coffee warm or cold for the duration of your day.
Normally, thermoses can keep cold coffee cooler for longer than keeping hot coffee hot. That’s just due to the nature of heat and cold, nothing else.
- Stainless steel vacuum insulation keeps beverages hot or cold for hours
- Durable and sanitary 18/8 stainless steel interior
- SlickSteel finish [Amazon Exclusive Model]
- Wide mouth opening
- Compact design takes up minimal space while maximizing capacity
Obviously, there are a lot more thermoses than just these available online. These are the ones we liked best and felt covered the widest range of functions so you’d be able to find something you like.
How to choose the best coffee thermos: a buying guide
Since there are indeed so many coffee thermoses around here are a few features that you want to think about before you make your purchasing decision. This will help you filter your choice and pick the best thermos for your needs.
The first thing to consider, obviously, is size. How much coffee are you actually going to need to carry with you? Are you going to brew a single serve from a Keurig or a drip machine, and just finish that on the way to work, stick with a smaller size.
The 20+ ounce thermoses will just be too clunky and a 10 to 12 ounce thermos will do the trick.
If on the other hand you prefer to brew a lot of coffee and finish it throughout the day, or if you need more than one cup of home brewed coffee(in case your office coffee maker sucks and you don’t want to dish out 3+ dollars for a single cup), go for a bigger size.
The second consideration is also perhaps the most important because insulation is really the whole point of buying a thermos, right?
All good thermoses are made of double walled stainless steel so they can keep hot coffee hot and cold coffee cold. The double walled design means that you won’t feel the heat and cold on the outside of the thermos.
However not all thermoses are created equal, and some can keep your coffee hot or cold for much longer than others. Higher quality ones can manage to go for nearly 24 hours whereas cheaper ones sometimes lose their charm in 6.
Thermoses come with a wide variety of ways you can actually drink up. Some have a lid/cup that you can fill and drink from, whereas others will have mouthpieces or straws.
Some like the YETI Rambler have a clear snap on lid that seals the thermos shut. You’d have to remove the lid and drink from it like a normal cup.
The sipping part is important because it really dictates where you can use the thermos. The YETI is not a good choice for sipping while driving, as spills are more possible. Other thermoses that have straws or small mouthpieces would be more suited to those situations.
Thermoses are meant to be used roughly and on the go. The best thermoses for your coffee can be thrown into a backpack or bag and you don’t have to worry about dings or spills. That’s why the ones we’ve chosen in our post have had thousands of upvotes from users.
If you’re still in doubt you can always browse through some more reviews and be sure of your purchase before pulling the trigger.
Other conveniences and care
Finally, since you’re going to be using the thermos on a daily basis, you need to figure out if indeed it is convenient to maintain. Can you put it in a dishwasher or must it be washed by hand? Are there lots of small parts that residue can build up in? Will it start to smell?
These are things you need to consider.
A search for thermos will probably bring up thousands of results but we’ve tried our very best to filter them down to just 10 of the best that we think you’ll definitely be happy with.
Last update on 2019-08-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API