Coffee brewing is an almost exact science with a little bit of art thrown in to the mix. One of the most important factors for brewing great coffee is having the correct water temperature. So which coffee makers brew at 200 degrees F, the sweet spot for brewing temperature?
A bit about coffee brewing temperature
We already know that around 200 degrees F – or 93.3 degrees C – is a sweet spot for brewing coffee. So what’s the optimal range? Do you need to get your thermometer out and make sure you hit 93.3 C or 200 F every time you brew?
Not exactly. Coffee brewing has a range of optimal temperatures rather than one particular temperature. You’ll also find that some methods require slightly lower temperatures whereas others require slightly higher temperatures.
Examples of this are the Aeropress, which suggests a temperature of 185 degrees F or 85 degrees C. Cold brew, obviously will require cold water 🙂
So why can’t you just use boiling water?
How coffee is extracted from water
When water hits the coffee grounds, the first thing to happen is that carbon dioxide rapidly escapes from the beans forming what is known as the coffee bloom.
Next up, the water molecules start interacting with the coffee grounds and begin extracting the various oils and flavor compounds from it.
If the water temperature is too low, not enough flavor compounds will have been extracted and your coffee will seem tasteless.
If the water temperature is too high, the high temperatures will “burn” the coffee and produce a bitter and undesirable cup of coffee.
Brewing time is also essential: if you have the water contact with coffee for too little time, then you will have under-extraction. If the water interacts with coffee for too long, you will have over-extraction and the coffee will be bitter and excessively acidic.
Learn how to brew the best coffee of your life
Sign up now to get started with our easy to follow and easy to implement guides. You'll never want to drink instant coffee again!
Best coffee makers that brew at 200 degrees
In this list of the best coffee makers that brew at 200 degrees, we’ll be looking at drip and single serve coffee makers since those are definitely machines you can actually let the machine control the temperature in.
We’ll also look at one pour over kettle in case you wish to use the pour over or french press method and heat up the water yourself.
1. Breville BDC450 Precision Brewer
The Breville BDC450 precision brewer is an amazing coffee machine that almost justifies the high price tag due to the amount of customization you can put into your brew.
First off, since we’re most concerned about temperature, you can adjust the temperature with great precision using a digital control(to get it at the exact 200 degrees F you’re looking for). You can also change the brewing time to really dial in your brew and get it perfect.
There are 6 available brewing methods and in case you want to brew a small cup of coffee without having to use the carafe, you can use the steep and release valve to release smaller amounts of coffee.
The level of customization is really out of this world:
- Bloom time: you can adjust how long to let the coffee bloom before the actual brewing starts
- Flow rate: you can adjust how fast water will flow into the filter
- Filters: you can use flat bottom or cone filters
All of this is packaged in a gorgeous stainless steel exterior that will definitely catch a lot of eyes in your home or office. There is also an option for using a stainless steel carafe which helps to hold the temperature better than glass.
If you are into dialing in your coffee to the very finest details and are out there in search of the perfect brew, the Breville BDC450 precision brewer will certainly help you get closer to your goal.
- Breville's patent pending steep & release valve holds the water in contact with the coffee when small cup volumes are being brewed without the carafe in place, automatically
- In gold cup preset mode, the Breville Precision Brewer automatically adjusts the water temperature and brew time to meet the standards set by the SCA
- Brew any volume of coffee exactly how you like it with the flat bottom & cone filter baskets, both included
- Power: 1650 Watts
- Voltage: 110 to 120 Volts
2. BUNN HB Heat N Brew Coffee Maker
Another coffee maker that holds its own when it comes to brewing temperature is the Bunn Heat N Brew. It gets very close to 200 degrees C, as it is noted that it does not go lower than 198 degrees when brewing.
There is a built in digital thermometer that tracks the temperature inside the machine and starts the brewing process once the optimum temperature has been hit.
Additionally, there is a heated bed to keep up to 10 cups of coffee warm at a time so if you have a household where everyone drinks coffee this is a great way to get everything ready before your family members reach the breakfast table.
Another plus point for this brewer is the three year warranty and SCAA (specialty coffee association of America) certification.
Since this is a drip brewer after all, it takes a little bit of time to brew 10 cups: 10 minutes to be precise.
- Digital clock with programmable brew start time for Coffee that s ready when you are each morning
- Brews 10 perfect cups in about 10 minutes when not using the programmable start feature
- Auto warmer plate turns on during brewing and off after 2 hours.Wattage Output: 1300 watts
- Exclusive shatter-resistant drip-free carafe delivers the cleanest pour on the market
- 3-Year backed by Bunn customer service in Springfield, IL
3. BEHMOR 5393 Coffee Maker
The BEHMOR Brazen coffee maker makes really good coffee. The main feature of course and the reason it is on this list is the temperature control, where you can vary it between 190 degrees to 210 degrees F(87 to 93 degrees C).
Of course, that means it can hit our sweet spot of 200 degrees F!
The BEHMOR brews coffee in a pretty unique way which delivers a really nice cup. First, the grounds are pre-soaked to get the bloom going, then water pulses through the grounds gradually to ensure that every drop of water gets full extraction.
Pulsing water means the water that’s already in the grounds can’t remain still – there’s always some force that is pushing it through.
You can brew up to 8 cups in one go with this machine. Coffee brews from a stainless steel reservoir into a stainless steel carafe, so it never comes into contact with plastic(some kinds of plastic don’t do well with heat) and the temperature is maintained due to the metal.
You can really dial in the temperature with the BEHMOR machine and find out which range brews the perfect cup of coffee for your taste buds.
- Capacity: 1.2 liter, 40oz, 8 5oz cups. Temperature control: set brewing temperature from 190f-210f (88c-99c)
- Note-scalding may occur if the cover is opened during the brewing cycles. Be careful around the steam. Product height is 15.25 inches
- Programmable brew start time: wake up to Coffee with timed brew setting
- Ideal Coffee extraction: Coffee grounds are fully saturated due to oversized showerhead and pulsing of the water flow.
- Scaa certified for brewing quality based on specialty Coffee industry standards (specialty Coffee Association of America)
4. Cuisinart CPO-850 Pour Over Coffee Brewer
Ah, the Cuisinart CPO-850 coffee maker. SCAA certified, you know you’re getting a world class coffee maker that brews coffee with all variables under control.
Give or take a couple of degrees, this machine does indeed brew at 200 degrees F. Along with temperature control, there is an automatic blooming feature that pre wets the grounds with hot water to let the gases out, and then starts the proper brewing and extracting process.
The exterior is stainless steel, but a lot of parts that the water comes into contact with are indeed made of plastic, so that’s one thing you may wish to consider before choosing this coffee maker. The carafe is stainless steel though, so that’s a plus.
A charcoal filter fully filters your water from many kinds of impurities(though not all) and results in a good brew.
- SCAA Certified - meets the Specialty Coffee Association of America's rigorous technical requirements for exemplary home brewers
- Flavor strength control - mild, medium, bold
- Temperature control - hot, extra hot
- Dimensions: 14.5x13.75x9.5 inch (WxHxD), Unit Weight: 10.2 pounds
- capacity: 64 oz, 8 cup carafe
5. Keurig K575 Programmable coffee maker
The Keurig K575 programmable coffee maker makes this list as a single serve coffee maker with temperature control. This is a Keurig 2.0 machine with a touch screen that lets you adjust a lot of parameters:
- Strength of the brew
- Temperature control(5 different settings)
- Setting favorites
- Auto on-off
It is worth noting that Keurig 2.0 machines are significantly better than the original Keurigs mainly because of the added programmability. The original Keurigs did not have much scope for customization, as you just had to pop in a pod and go.
An 80 ounce reservoir lets you brew 8 cups of coffee before having to refill, which is more than enough for a single household of 4 people.
The biggest advantage of Keurig is the wide variety of coffee pods that are available. If you’re in a hurry to brew your coffee these pods are the way to go, but if you’re a coffee purist, then you won’t like the taste or concept.
However, if you’re still into quick brewing, you can use a reusable K-cup and fill it with your own freshly ground coffee so your cup tastes better.
- Large 80 ounce water reservoir: Allows you to brew 10+ cups more before having to refill, saving you time and simplifying your morning routine; The water reservoir is removable, making it easy to refill whenever you need to, and on the k575, you can choose from several different nightlight colors to illuminate your kitchen at night
- Multiple k cup pod brew sizes: (4, 6, 8, 10, 12 ounce); brews a carafe (22, 26, or 30 ounce) using k carafe pods, to give you more coffee when you need it. (carafe sold separately)
- Strength control: A strength control setting allows you to brew a bolder cup using any k cup pod brew size; Plus, five temperature settings allow you to enjoy your favorite beverage at your desired temperature; Hot water on demand: Press the hot water on demand button and select your desired brew size in order to dispense hot water
- Extra large color touch screen: A digital clock makes it easy to brew a fresh, great tasting cup in under a minute; Plus, program your brewer to turn on or off automatically at set times, so that it is ready to go when you want it, and turns off to conserve energy
6. Bonavita Variable Temperature Gooseneck Kettle
So far, we’ve looked at some coffee makers that brew at 200 degrees. What if you wanted to make perfect french press or pour over coffee? How could you achieve that elusive 200 degree brew?
The answer is by using a temperature controlled gooseneck kettle, of course!
The Bonavita kettle is available in a 1 liter or 1.7 liter size and has a 1000 watt capacity for fast heating. You can adjust the exact temperature to the degree, all the way from 140 degrees F up to 212 degrees F.
There’s also a timer you can utilize when you’re actually brewing.
Gooseneck kettles are advantageous because they allow you to control the exact speed and location of pouring. You’ll want to wet the grounds as easily as possible and it’s very difficult to achieve that with a regular spout kettle.
A heat and hold feature lets you maintain the temperature of the water after heating for up to one hour at a time(though you’ll be using up a lot of energy if you do this).
- Adjustable in one-degree increments between 140˚-212˚F (60˚- 98˚C).
- 1000 watts for quick heating
- Real-time temperature display
- Hold Button heats and holds at temperatures between 140˚-208˚F for up to 60 minutes. Temperature Set Button for quick access to preset brewing temperatures
- Count-up timer makes it easy to keep track of the brewing process
These 6 machines are the best options that we’ve found for temperature controlling your coffee to as precise a degree as possible. They’re relatively expensive but considering the precision and customization you’re getting, they’re definitely worth the price – if customization is that important to you.
Last update on 2020-05-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API