An essential part of making great coffee is getting the coffee brewing temperature right.
Just like you can’t bake something if the oven temperature is too hot or too cold, you can’t make good coffee if the water is too hot or too cold.
To extract the best flavor from your coffee, you’ll need to brew at the correct temperature. The best temperature for brewing coffee is 205 degrees Fahrenheit or around 96 degrees Celcius.
Anything hotter will burn your coffee and give it an overly bitter, acidic taste.
Anything cooler and you’ll get an under-extracted, weak cup of coffee – if you could even call it coffee!
How to measure water temperature
- 【SUPER FAST】 Instant Reading Thermometer with backlight features 3.9" food grade stainless steel probe gets temp readout within 3-5 seconds with high precision sensor
- 【ACCURATE READOUT】 Cooking Thermometer with temp range of -58°F ~ 572°F (-50°C ~ 300°C), accurate to ±0.9°F; Perfect for indoor outdoor cooking, grilling, BBQ and so on
- 【EASY TO USE】 Kitchen Thermometer with foldable probe design folds away easily and locks into base for portability; Magnetic back and hook allows for convenient storage
- 【SMART DESIGN】 Digital Meat Thermometer will auto-shut off if readout stays on for 10 minutes; Powered by AAA battery (included); Celsius/Fahrenheit switchable
- 【3 YEARS WARRANTY! REGISTER your grilling thermometer after purchase and INCREASE YOUR WARRANTY COVERAGE FROM 1 YEAR TO 3 YEARS】ThermoPro US Based Customer Service (Phone & Email) 5 Days a Week, reach us at 1877-515-7797 or firstname.lastname@example.org; You don’t receive this best in class service from other brands like Thermoworks Thermapen MK4, Thermopop, Weber iGrill Mini, Meater, Kizen, Habor, Inkbird, Lavatools Javelin, Maverick, Taylor, CDN, and Polder
Assuming you’re just using a regular kettle to heat up your water, you can use a simple cooking thermometer to get the exact temperature of the water.
Most households have one of these lying around as they’re also very useful for cooking meat and chicken.
Just insert the probe end of the thermometer into the water and see what it’s measuring at.
- 【Instant read & accurate】4-6 seconds ultra fast response time with accuracy of ±1℃, takes out the guesswork and eliminate overdone or undercooked food, ensuring you get the best flavour.
- 【Super long probe】no more Hands' Burning, This 4. 7"(Probe) digital meat thermometer can detect the core temp of meat; perfect for huge turkey, chicken, bread making, jam making, chocolate making, barbecue, hot water, hot milk, and even bath water
- 【Easy to use】Simply insert probe into your food or liquid and get the temp; this kitchen meat thermometer with protective sheath is easy to carry or store; 10 minutes auto-shut off function Extends your battery life (Battery included; please remove the battery insulation film before the first use)
- 【Important notes】the temp Range is -58℉ to 572℉, in order to extend service life of the food thermometer, please remove the thermometer when you finish reading temp; never leave this food temperature probe in high temp environment such as closed oven, frying pan, grill and etc
- 【Retail package】 1×user Manual; 1×meat temperature guide; 1×3 years and friendly customer service
A fancier way to measure the temperature and a way you can definitely impress your friends is by using a laser thermometer. You simply point the thermometer at the water and you’ll get an exact reading.
- Better accuracy: The distance to spot ratio is 12: 1, meaning the laser grip 774 can accurately measure targets at greater distances compared to most other Thermometers; for best accuracy, the distance between the thermometer and object of measurement should approximately be 14. 17 inches (36cm)
- Target quicker: measure surface temperature ranging from -58℉ to 716℉/ -50℃ to 380℃, you can choose the unit from ℉/ ℃; response time: ≤500Ms; a built in laser gives you the precision to hone in on the exact space you want to measure
- Added functions: the LCD screen is backlit, also has an auto-off function to extend the battery life, and features a low battery indicator so you never accidentally run out of juice (battery included)
- Versatile design: infrared technology makes this thermometer handy to measure the surface temperature of various objects especially temperatures above boiling points and below freezing points; use it when you are cooking and barbequing, performing auto maintenance, doing home repairs, and a host of other tasks
- Note: the thermometer can't measure the internal temperature of an object; temperature readings from this devices are inanimate objects, the measured temperature for humans or animals will not be correct; FDA, FCC, CE compliant; class 2 laser, optical power 0. 5-0. 9Mw; 1 year (with the option to extend it by 1 extra year for free) by Etekcity
Finally, yet a more efficient option is an electric gooseneck kettle. Many gooseneck kettles have various temperature settings built in and you simply enter the number you wish to reach and the kettle will heat up to exactly that much.
- Adjustable in one-degree increments between 140˚-212˚F (60˚- 98˚C).
- 1000 watts for quick heating
- Real-time temperature display
- Hold Button heats and holds at temperatures between 140˚-208˚F for up to 60 minutes. Temperature Set Button for quick access to preset brewing temperatures
- Count-up timer makes it easy to keep track of the brewing process
Plus, you’ll have the added benefit of the gooseneck to perfectly bloom your coffee grounds and wet them evenly as you brew.
If you can’t get your hands on a kettle with a thermometer, you can just let the water come to a boil and remove it from the heat, open the top of the kettle to increase surface area, and let the water rest for 30 seconds.
This should drop the temperature by 4-7 degrees C and get you in the 96 degree/205 degree range.
Last update on 2019-11-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API