So you love the idea of bulletproof coffee, and you swear by adding a tablespoon of butter and coconut oil to your coffee every morning.
But one day, your blender breaks – so how do you add coconut oil in coffee without a blender? Let’s take a look at 3 methods you can use. This will work for butter too, as well as for a combination of butter and coconut oil.
Note: Unless you’re superman and can whisk at superhuman speeds, you’ll need some sort of device – even though it’s not a proper blender – to successfully get the fats in butter and the water molecules in coffee to emulsify.
1. Use a blender bottle
Blender bottles are really neat ways to mix coconut oil in coffee without a proper blender. If you’re not familiar with blender bottles, they’re the bottles you commonly see used in the gym to mix up protein shakes. It’s basically a plastic bottle with a little metal whisk-ball in it.
You close up the bottle with the liquid and powder inside, and give it a few good shakes. The whisk ball helps combine all the contents.
Here’s how you do it:
- Set your coffee to brew using your favorite brewing method. While you’re waiting for it to brew…
- Add some hot water to the blender bottle to keep it nice and warm. This is so the coffee can keep nice and warm when you pour it in. The warmer your coffee, the easier it will mix with the coconut oil.
- Once your coffee has finished brewing, empty the water from the blender bottle and add coconut oil (and/or butter) to the bottle.
- Slowly start pouring coffee over the oil, trying to get as much of it to liquify as possible. This will make life much easier when you want to blend.
- Pop the whisk ball into the bottle, close the lid tightly, and start shaking.
- Give it a really good shake until the coffee takes on the color and frothiness that you want
- 28-ounce capacity (note: measurements only go to 20 ounces) shaker cup for mixing protein shakes, smoothies, and supplements
- Patented mixing system uses 316 surgical-grade stainless steel BlenderBall wire whisk found only in BlenderBottle brand shaker bottles
- Screw-on lid creates leak-proof seal, and flip cap snaps securely shut to keep contents contained; loop top for easy carrying or attaching keys.Do not microwave,freeze or boil
- Wide mouth makes it easy to add mix scoops and liquids, and embossed markings measure both ounces and milliliters
- BPA and phthalate-free, dishwasher safe; manufacturer’s limited lifetime warranty
2. Use a handheld milk frother
Small, handheld milk frothers also do a good job of getting the coffee to emulsify with the butter. Add coconut oil to a cup and pour your freshly brewed coffee into it.
Next, insert a milk frother till it’s in contact with both the coconut oil and the coffee, and turn on the frother. It will slowly whisk the coffee and coconut oil together and you’ll see the oil start to very slowly emulsify.
Learn how to brew the best coffee of your life
Sign up now to get started with our easy to follow and easy to implement guides. You'll never want to drink instant coffee again!
Move the frother up and down as it runs to help more of the coffee churn and come in contact with the oil.
Your coffee will become a little lighter and you’ll see a small layer of foam form at the top, as you would if you had made it in a blender.
Drink up quickly, though, because the emulsion won’t last very long!
- Make Rich, Creamy Froth In Seconds: We coffee lovers are serious when it comes to our coffee. The Milk Boss Frother gives that professional finishing touch to your latte, cappuccino, macchiato or hot chocolate. Make delicious foamy creamer for your drinks at home without a trip to Starbucks with your own milk frother. The benefits of having your own electric drink whisk mixer are endless, you can make your own best latte, you know your tastes best.
- Matcha Whisking, Keto Coffee & More: Customers say our frother works better than a manual matcha whisk for making matcha tea and works far better than fork or whisk for keto bullet proof coffee. It works very well to mix nutritious protein powder drinks with no extra container, blender or bottle shaker to wash. Use our mini mixer for your whisking and mixing needs: Give healthy shakes and smoothies a kick by adding whey powder or egg nog flavor and mixing.
- Proven and Trusted Quality: We use only premium materials. The construction will last, backed by our Zulay Guarantee to not rust or break, ever. Our small and efficient frother works on all types of milk - half and half, creamer, soy, almond, cashew, hazelnut, whole milk, and other dairy such as butter or cream.
- Easy To Clean and Store: The durable convenient metal stand gives easy access for foamy goodness in seconds. Cleanup for this matcha wisk & frother is even faster. To clean just put the whisk in hot running water and briefly turn it on – instantly clean! When stored on counter or table it sits nicely next other coffee accessories. Our powerful and durable hand-held milk frother is powered by two AA batteries (not included) with a compact electric design that easily fits in a drawer.
- No Hassle, Kitchen Happiness Zulay Guarantee: We love and take pride in our milk frother and we back this up with a lifetime guarantee. Have the confidence that this frother will last, if there are ever any issues, just contact us and we will make it right. Order now and be assured that this product will live up to your expectations, guaranteed. If it does not make your foam exactly how you want it, we got you covered. Bulletproof is a registered trademark of Bulletproof 360, Inc.
3. Add an emulsifier to your coffee
To help encourage the oils in coconut oil and/or butter to mix well with the the coffee, you can try adding an emulsifier, which is a compound that helps fats and water molecules stick together.
Sunflower lecithin, soy lecithin, and butter coffee creamer are all great emulsifiers and should do the job well, making your coffee much smoother and silkier.
A natural form of emulsifier is an egg yolk, though you’d probably scramble it in the hot coffee before it can do its emulsion job!
4. Cooking coconut oil coffee with wheat flour
Another recipe I found but have not personally tried is to add equal parts coconut oil and wheat flour into a pot on the stove and mix until well incorporated.
Then add your coffee(already brewed, of course), and start stirring on a very low heat. Keep your stove at the lowest possible flame/setting as boiling the liquid will only have negative effects on the flavor.
When you can no longer taste the wheat, the coffee is done and ready to be consumed.
Note: while this may be an effective method, it certainly is the least appetizing and if it were up to me, I’d probably go with methods 1 or 2 🙂
What to do if coconut oil does not mix in coffee
The idea of Bulletproof coffee is using a high speed blender to mix everything up. Naturally, a shaker bottle or even an electric milk frother will not be able to sustain that much energy to emulsify and blend the coffee and coconut oil as much as necessary for a smooth drink.
However, the methods listed above are the next best thing in case your blender is broken and you need a fix of coconut oil coffee right away!
If the coffee and oil mixture does need seem well incorporated, just shake it a bit more in the blender bottle of give it a couple more minutes with the milk frother using the up down method.
If you were using the blender bottle method, just give it a few more vigorous shakes.
At the end of the day, your best bet is obviously to use a blender, since the high speeds they can achieve are just not possible with your arms(unless you’re superman).
As you can see, butter coffee and coconut oil in coffee are powerful ways to add a nutritional and caloric boost to your daily routine, especially if you’re following the Keto diet.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have to blend coconut oil in coffee?
That’s the best way to enjoy it. If you don’t use a blender or blend manually in some way, the oil will not mix and you’ll get a mouthful of oil followed by a mouthful of coffee. Yuck!
Can I make bulletproof coffee without a blender?
Yes, but it will always taste better if you use a blender. If you don’t have access to a blender, this post has 4 suggestions for how to mix coconut oil(and even butter) without one.
Can I just add coconut oil to my coffee?
Yes, but remember to mix it well, otherwise you won’t find the taste very pleasant. If you have any health concerns, check with your doctor before making any major dietary changes.
Last update on 2020-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API