So you love the idea of bulletproof coffee, and you swear by adding a tablespoon of butter and coconut oil to your coffee every morning.
But one day, your blender breaks – so how do you add coconut oil in coffee without a blender? Let’s take a look at 3 methods you can use. This will work for butter too, as well as for a combination of butter and coconut oil.
Note: Unless you’re superman and can whisk at superhuman speeds, you’ll need some sort of device – even though it’s not a proper blender – to successfully get the fats in butter and the water molecules in coffee to emulsify.
1. Use a blender bottle
Blender bottles are really neat ways to mix coconut oil in coffee without a proper blender. If you’re not familiar with blender bottles, they’re the bottles you commonly see used in the gym to mix up protein shakes. It’s basically a plastic bottle with a little metal whisk-ball in it.
You close up the bottle with the liquid and powder inside, and give it a few good shakes. The whisk ball helps combine all the contents.
Here’s how you do it:
- Set your coffee to brew using your favorite brewing method. While you’re waiting for it to brew…
- Add some hot water to the blender bottle to keep it nice and warm. This is so the coffee can keep nice and warm when you pour it in. The warmer your coffee, the easier it will mix with the coconut oil.
- Once your coffee has finished brewing, empty the water from the blender bottle and add coconut oil (and/or butter) to the bottle.
- Slowly start pouring coffee over the oil, trying to get as much of it to liquify as possible. This will make life much easier when you want to blend.
- Pop the whisk ball into the bottle, close the lid tightly, and start shaking.
- Give it a really good shake until the coffee takes on the color and frothiness that you want
- 28-ounce capacity (note: measurements only go to 20 ounces) shaker cup for mixing protein shakes, smoothies, and supplements
- Patented mixing system uses 316 surgical-grade stainless steel BlenderBall wire whisk found only in BlenderBottle brand shaker bottles
- Screw-on lid creates leak-proof seal, and flip cap snaps securely shut to keep contents contained; loop top for easy carrying or attaching keys
- Wide mouth makes it easy to add mix scoops and liquids, and embossed markings measure both ounces and milliliters
- BPA and phthalate-free, dishwasher safe; manufacturer’s limited lifetime warranty
2. Use a handheld milk frother
Small, handheld milk frothers also do a good job of getting the coffee to emulsify with the butter. Add coconut oil to a cup and pour your freshly brewed coffee into it.
Next, insert a milk frother till it’s in contact with both the coconut oil and the coffee, and turn on the frother. It will slowly whisk the coffee and coconut oil together and you’ll see the oil start to very slowly emulsify.
Move the frother up and down as it runs to help more of the coffee churn and come in contact with the oil.
Your coffee will become a little lighter and you’ll see a small layer of foam form at the top, as you would if you had made it in a blender.
Drink up quickly, though, because the emulsion won’t last very long!
- GET CREAMY FROTH QUICKLY: Powerlix brings you its portable handheld milk frother for frothed milk. If you love your morning coffee with lots of froth and foam, then you certainly want to have Powerlix frothing wand at home or your cafÃ style cappuccino. It comes with a stand for easy storage and can be kept on the countertop.
- BATTERY OPERATED FOR PERFECT FROTH IN NO TIME: The mixer is battery powered so you don't have to worry about cords and finding sockets. Heat up the milk, immerse the espresso maker into the cup and turn it on. The milk foamer will start creating creamy froth on the milk instantly. Within 15 - 20 seconds, you have a cup filled with creamy froth and ready to go into your coffee latte.
- QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST: Our milk whisk frappe maker is made of the best quality stainless steel. It has a powerful motor that gives you 19000 rpm and the dual spring durable long 18/10 food safe material stainless steel spiral whisk that won't rust or break over the time, delivers double the power of other frothers and professional espresso makers available. The power button on top makes it easy to use. The low noise motor barely makes a sound.
- BEAUTIFULLY STYLED WITH VERSATILITY: The machine is beautifully styled in black color to fit into any modern kitchen. It is lightweight and has ergonomically designed soft touch handle. It is easy to use and easy to clean. It can be used to froth other liquids besides hot milk. Use it to make milkshakes for your kids or cocktails for your friends. It will work well with both hot and cold liquids.
- 100% LIFETIME WARRANTY: The milk frother is so handy and useful that you can gift it to your friends and family too. Let them enjoy the convenience of making chocolate or cappuccino at home. We are confident of our product and know you will like it. This is why we back up our product with a LIFETIME warranty, and the amazing FREE BONUS eBook is yours to keep. Order now and start to create thick and creamy foam for your homemade drinks
3. Add an emulsifier to your coffee
To help encourage the oils in coconut oil and/or butter to mix well with the the coffee, you can try adding an emulsifier, which is a compound that helps fats and water molecules stick together.
Sunflower lecithin, soy lecithin, and butter coffee creamer are all great emulsifiers and should do the job well, making your coffee much smoother and silkier.
A natural form of emulsifier is an egg yolk, though you’d probably scramble it in the hot coffee before it can do its emulsion job!
4. Cooking coconut oil coffee with wheat flour
Another recipe I found but have not personally tried is to add equal parts coconut oil and wheat flour into a pot on the stove and mix until well incorporated.
Then add your coffee(already brewed, of course), and start stirring on a very low heat. Keep your stove at the lowest possible flame/setting as boiling the liquid will only have negative effects on the flavor.
When you can no longer taste the wheat, the coffee is done and ready to be consumed.
Note: while this may be an effective method, it certainly is the least appetizing and if it were up to me, I’d probably go with methods 1 or 2 🙂
What to do if coconut oil does not mix in coffee
The idea of Bulletproof coffee is using a high speed blender to mix everything up. Naturally, a shaker bottle or even an electric milk frother will not be able to sustain that much energy to emulsify and blend the coffee and coconut oil as much as necessary for a smooth drink.
However, the methods listed above are the next best thing in case your blender is broken and you need a fix of coconut oil coffee right away!
If the coffee and oil mixture does need seem well incorporated, just shake it a bit more in the blender bottle of give it a couple more minutes with the milk frother using the up down method.
If you were using the blender bottle method, just give it a few more vigorous shakes.
At the end of the day, your best bet is obviously to use a blender, since the high speeds they can achieve are just not possible with your arms(unless you’re superman).
Last update on 2019-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API