What’s not to love about cappuccinos? They’re wonderfully intense like espresso, and wonderfully creamy like milk. A cappuccino is like the perfect pairing in coffee, period. But what’s the proper cappuccino ratio? How do you make an authentic one?
Cappuccino ratio: how to make a great cup
Most baristas agree that a good cappuccino ratio is 1 part espresso to two parts milk. So you have:
- One 2 ounce shot of espresso
- 2 ounces of steamed milk(less air bubbles, more liquidy)
- 2 ounces of foamed milk(more air bubbles, drier)
There’s always going to be some variance in the ratio, of course. Adding a double shot of espresso will mean you’ll have to add a little more milk, otherwise the coffee flavor will overpower the milk.
You can also choose to add either only steamed milk for a “wetter” cup, or only foamed milk for a “drier” cup. Using only foamed milk is called making a bone-dry cappuccino.
Use a dedicated cappuccino cup
Another neat way to make a good cappuccino without having to worry too much about the actual measurements is just to use a cappuccino cup.
Cappuccino cups are really neat because they’re already the right size of about 6 ounces. You just need to pull an espresso shot into them and then top up with foamed or steamed milk until the cup is about as full as you want.
- HAVE A COFFEE BAR EXPERIENCE - A Clean yet classic design that perfectly fits your espresso maker. Coming with Saucers and the great stacking stand. This cappachino cups set is perfect to sit alongside your espresso machine. They have a cafe look that makes you feel as though you are in a coffee bar enjoying your brew.
- JUST WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR - Each stackable cup holds 8oz (without filling it to the very top). Perfect for cafe latte, cappuccino, Americano, hot chocolate, mochaccino, tea, or your favorite beverages. The walls of the espresso coffee cups are relatively thick, so they will hold the temperature of the coffee. And the cup fit firm on the saucer and won't side off.
- A SPACE SAVER & EASY TO MOVE - Porcelain cup/saucer set with a stacking stand to keep the set together, takes up very little countertop space. The stand is a big plus, makes it easy to move around from the kitchen to the living room for hosting purposes.
- PRO-GRADE PORCELAIN & SAFE FOR DISHWASHER, MICROWAVE, OVEN AND FREEZER - These Sweese latte cups are made of durable porcelain, a type of premium LEAD-FREE and NON-TOXIC ceramic, chip-resistant and more sturdy than stoneware. Creation of Sweese ensures you get what you pay for, BEWARE OF CHEAP KNOCK OFFS!
- ZERO risks! - Sweese will offer a free replacement or refund if anything goes wrong with the product.
- Set of four 6-ounce Cappuccino Cups, 4 inch espresso spoons and saucers in white
- Sleek modern styling, made of high quality porcelain/ceramic make them healthy & sturdy for daily use
- Each cappuccino cup measures at 3.5" in diameter and 2" in height, saucer plates measure at 5.8" in diameter, 4'' stainless steel espresso spoons
- Espresso cups come in a cute multi are great for tasty espresso shots for you and your guests, beautiful addition to any cafe, restaurant, pub and definitely to your own home
- Microwave and dishwasher safe, If you have any issue with our products, please don't hesitate to contact us, we will try our best to find a satisfactory solution for you within 24 hours.
- Small Size Professional Cup Shape for Double Espresso / Drip Coffee / Small Cappuccino
- Round Bottom -- Easy for barista to make latte art designs
- FDA & California Proposition 65 Passed -- New Bone China with high quality
- 10 Colors and 3 Capacity to choose
- Thick body to keep the coffee warm and keep the flavor
How to make a cappuccino with an espresso machine
A more painless way to do it is just to use a good espresso machine that either has a steam wand or that automatically dispenses steamed milk from a reservoir.
Mr Coffee Cafe Barista
The Mr Coffee Cafe Barista is the espresso machine that I currently use at home. It’s inexpensive, quite automated, and makes some really good espresso, cappuccino, and lattes.
What I love about this machine is that it’s super simple yet super versatile. You fill water into the reservoir, and when you turn the machine on, it will begin to heat up and the lights on the three buttons will start flashing. Each button is for one of three drinks: espresso, cappuccino, or latte.
Just grind up some coffee, tamp it into the portafilter and lock it into place to get started.
If you want to make a cappuccino, pour some cold milk into the milk reservoir and lock that into place too. Once the cappuccino light turns solid, it means the machine is ready to brew and steam milk.
Place your favorite mug in the machine and press the cappuccino button. The machine will first dispense steamed milk, and once the 4 ounces of milk have been dispensed(you can adjust the quantity of milk with a little dial), it will pull a shot of espresso into the milk and you have a cappuccino ready to go.
- Semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and latte maker
- 15 bar pump system brews rich tasting espresso coffee
- Trouble free automatic milk frother removes the guesswork
- One touch control panel for drink selections
- Easy fill, removable water and milk reservoirs
If you’re looking for something a bit cheaper and with a bit more control, check out the DeLonghi EC155. It’s not as automated as the Mr Coffee but it will still brew a good cup of coffee.
Here, you’ll need to brew a shot of espresso separately, then turn the dial to the “Steam” setting, and froth a cup of milk, and then mix the two to make a cappuccino.
Since everything is manual here, you’ll have to measure out the milk yourself, froth it to your desired consistency yourself, and finally add the shot of espresso to make your cappuccino.
One advantage this machine has over the Mr Coffee is that you can actually make foamed milk by taking a small amount of milk and frothing it very intensely. The Mr Coffee only produces steamed milk since it is all fully automated.
- Use convenient pods or ground coffee with the patented dual function filter holder. It makes espresso preparation simple and fast
- Easily prepares latte and cappuccino with the swivel jet frother, for perfect drinks every time.Rated voltage/Frequency (V~Hz)-120~60
- Eliminate annoying start-up preparation with the self-priming operation. On/off switch
- Always brew espresso at the perfect temperature with two separate thermostats, which allow for water and steam pressure to be controlled separately
- Enjoy delicious espresso for years to come with the durable, high-quality stainless steel boiler and 15 bar pump pressure. NOTE: Refer user manual before use.MAXIMUM CUP HEIGHT:66 cm
So I hope this short little post answers your question about the cappuccino ratio! Now go ahead and grind some fresh beans to brew yourself a cup!
Last update on 2020-04-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API