What’s not to love about cappuccinos? They’re wonderfully intense like espresso, and wonderfully creamy like milk. A cappuccino is like the perfect pairing in coffee, period. But what’s the proper cappuccino ratio? How do you make an authentic one?
Cappuccino ratio: how to make a great cup
Most baristas agree that a good cappuccino ratio is 1 part espresso to two parts milk. So you have:
- One 2 ounce shot of espresso
- 2 ounces of steamed milk(less air bubbles, more liquidy)
- 2 ounces of foamed milk(more air bubbles, drier)
There’s always going to be some variance in the ratio, of course. Adding a double shot of espresso will mean you’ll have to add a little more milk, otherwise the coffee flavor will overpower the milk.
You can also choose to add either only steamed milk for a “wetter” cup, or only foamed milk for a “drier” cup. Using only foamed milk is called making a bone-dry cappuccino.
Use a dedicated cappuccino cup
Another neat way to make a good cappuccino without having to worry too much about the actual measurements is just to use a cappuccino cup.
Cappuccino cups are really neat because they’re already the right size of about 6 ounces. You just need to pull an espresso shot into them and then top up with foamed or steamed milk until the cup is about as full as you want.
- 100% LEAD FREE- Unlike other crystal glassware which by definition must contains at least 20% lead, this double wall borosilicate glass expresso cups are 100% lead free, with the super chemistry stability: acid & alkali resistant, and anti-corrosion ability, it will provide you the most heathy drinking way all the time
- TOP OF THE LINE QUALITY- Made of thicker mouth-blown, lab-quality borosilicate glass, this double wall cappuccino coffee mugs is scratch resistant and more durable to stand the daily use – safe to heat in microwave or freeze in the fridge, giving a smooth finish and crystal-clean look without any rough or abnormal spots
- IDEAL SIZE- Standing at 2.9 X3.3 inch, these clear expresso coffee cups are perfectly sized to fit under most at-home brewing stations - like Nespresso or Keurig. 7OZ/210ML, it is not only suitable for expresso, but also have enough room to add milk and sugar
- HUMANITY DESIGN- Thanks to the vacuum between the double wall borosilicate glass that doesn’t conduct heat, the interior coffee will keep hot longer while the exterior wall will stay cool for hand safe touch; Hot drinks will not burn your hands and cold drinks will not form condensation. No burn marks or wet rings will be left on your especially precious leather or wood table. The comfortable, wide opening and thick handle is easy to grasp and especially perfect for the sleepy or shaky hands
- A THOUGHTFUL GIFT- These set of 4 double wall glass expressp coffee mugs are packed with a homey gift package, it is an ideal gift choice for the persons you love or love you. Drinking is the foundation of human existence and we need to drink every time, drinks in the mugs looks like it's floating in midair - an enchanting optical illusion. Therefore, choosing this healthy and fine-looking drinking cups as a gift for them, they will enjoy it and think of you every time they drink
- AN ELEGANT WAY TO ENJOY YOUR LIFE - Is there anything more satisfying than that first sip of coffee in the morning? There’s no question that coffee is energizing and unbelievably delicious. Sipping piping hot caffeine as soon as possible prepares us for the day. Sweese cups will give you a perfect coffee time.
- LARGE ENOUGH CAPACITY FOR COFFEE LOVER - Each cappuccino cup holds 6oz (without filling it to the very top). These cups are in the right size and thickness to keep the coffee warm.
- BRIGHT ASSORTED COLORING - Sweese porcelain cups have industry-favorite traditional contours, and assorted color adds a stylistic touch and brightens up your mornings. The sleek cups are sure to create a dining experience your guests won't soon forget.
- PRO-GRADE PORCELAIN & SAFE FOR DISHWASHER, MICROWAVE, OVEN AND FREEZER - These Sweese espresso cups are made of durable porcelain, a type of premium LEAD-FREE and NON-TOXIC ceramic, chip-resistant and more sturdy than stoneware. Creation of Sweese ensures you get what you pay for, BEWARE OF CHEAP KNOCK OFFS!
- ZERO risks! - Sweese will offer a free replacement or refund if anything goes wrong with the product.
- Small Size Professional Cup Shape for Double Espresso / Drip Coffee / Small Cappuccino
- Round Bottom -- Easy for barista to make latte art designs
- FDA & California Proposition 65 Passed -- New Bone China with high quality
- 10 Colors and 3 Capacity to choose
- Thick body to keep the coffee warm and keep the flavor
How to make a cappuccino with an espresso machine
A more painless way to do it is just to use a good espresso machine that either has a steam wand or that automatically dispenses steamed milk from a reservoir.
Mr Coffee Cafe Barista
The Mr Coffee Cafe Barista is the espresso machine that I currently use at home. It’s inexpensive, quite automated, and makes some really good espresso, cappuccino, and lattes.
What I love about this machine is that it’s super simple yet super versatile. You fill water into the reservoir, and when you turn the machine on, it will begin to heat up and the lights on the three buttons will start flashing. Each button is for one of three drinks: espresso, cappuccino, or latte.
Just grind up some coffee, tamp it into the portafilter and lock it into place to get started.
If you want to make a cappuccino, pour some cold milk into the milk reservoir and lock that into place too. Once the cappuccino light turns solid, it means the machine is ready to brew and steam milk.
Place your favorite mug in the machine and press the cappuccino button. The machine will first dispense steamed milk, and once the 4 ounces of milk have been dispensed(you can adjust the quantity of milk with a little dial), it will pull a shot of espresso into the milk and you have a cappuccino ready to go.
- Semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and latte maker
- 15 bar pump system brews rich tasting espresso coffee
- Trouble free automatic milk frother removes the guesswork
- One touch control panel for drink selections
- Easy fill, removable water and milk reservoirs
If you’re looking for something a bit cheaper and with a bit more control, check out the DeLonghi EC155. It’s not as automated as the Mr Coffee but it will still brew a good cup of coffee.
Here, you’ll need to brew a shot of espresso separately, then turn the dial to the “Steam” setting, and froth a cup of milk, and then mix the two to make a cappuccino.
Since everything is manual here, you’ll have to measure out the milk yourself, froth it to your desired consistency yourself, and finally add the shot of espresso to make your cappuccino.
One advantage this machine has over the Mr Coffee is that you can actually make foamed milk by taking a small amount of milk and frothing it very intensely. The Mr Coffee only produces steamed milk since it is all fully automated.
- Use convenient pods or ground coffee with the patented dual function filter holder. It makes espresso preparation simple and fast
- Easily prepares latte and cappuccino with the swivel jet frother, for perfect drinks every time. Rated voltage/Frequency (V~Hz) 120~60
- Eliminate annoying start up preparation with the self priming operation. On/off switch
- Always brew espresso at the perfect temperature with two separate thermostats, which allow for water and steam pressure to be controlled separately
- Enjoy delicious espresso for years to come with the durable, high quality stainless steel boiler and 15 bar pump pressure. Note: Refer user manual before use. Maximum Cup Height (in): 66
So I hope this short little post answers your question about the cappuccino ratio! Now go ahead and grind some fresh beans to brew yourself a cup!
Last update on 2020-03-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API