Are you looking for a good coffee maker for your upcoming trip?
You’ve come to the right place!
Here we will give you short but clear reviews about the best portable coffee maker models, as well as tips to choose the right portable coffee maker for your needs.
How do you think about having nice cups of coffee to enjoy even when you are away from your house, like when you are camping, for example? Portable coffee makers make life REALLY easy!
To make things easier for you, we’ve already tested and compared the best products available to narrow the field down to these top choices.
|COLEMAN CAMPING COFFEEMAKER||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|TEXSPORT 9 CUP STAINLESS STEEL PERCOLATOR||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|FABERWARE CLASSIC STAINLESS STEEL PERCOLATOR||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|COLEMAN QUIKPOT PROPANE COFFEEMAKER||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|THE ORIGINAL BIALETTI MOKA EXPRESS||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|PRIMULA SINGLE SERVE COFFEE BREW BUDDY||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|PRESTO MYJO SINGLE CUP COFFEE MAKER FOR K-CUPS||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|GSI OUTDOORS COLLAPSIBLE JAVA DRIP||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|WACAO MINIPRESSO GR COFFEE MACHINE||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
9 Best Portable Coffee Maker Suggestions
1. Coleman Portable Camping Coffee maker
This is the first coffee maker I would like to introduce you to. It comes with two or three-burner camp stoves, making sure that you never miss your favorite coffee under any conditions, whether you’re camping or tailgating, indoors or outdoors, so on. It allows you to adjust the strength and flavor to your desire in the same way as you can do with a brewer at home.
Also, it allows you to steep the coffee between the process with the brew-pause option. It is also quiet while running, making sure that your campmates can be in their deep sleep while you are brewing in the morning.
- This is an ideal choice for family group camping
- It has pause option, allowing you to enjoy the coffee in the middle of the process
- It has a removable filter basket
- It doesn’t require electricity to run
- It comes with 2 to 3 burner camp stoves
- It can makes up to ten cups at once
- It is flexible to use, it means that you can make coffee, teo or hot chocolate with just one machine.
- Glass carafe can be fragile
- It is quite heavy
- Camping coffee maker quickly brews up to 10 cups of coffee on a camp stove
- Steel base fits on most traditional 2- and 3-burner camp stoves
- Included 10-cup glass carafe allows for easy pouring
- Removable swing-out filter basket fits 8- to 12-cup filters
- Pause ‘N Serve feature lets you pour a cup before brew cycle is complete
2. Texsport 9 Cup Stainless Steel Percolator Coffee Maker
The Texsport 9-Cup Aluminum Percolator is not only perfect for the campsite, but also for traveling and for when you’re at home. It is made of long-lasting aluminum.
The inside coffee pot is resistant to rust and simple to clean. Plus, it comes with a bail handle, making it easy to pour. And the addition of the glass knob makes it possible for you to check the coffee when it percolates.
Learn how to brew the best coffee of your life
Sign up now to get started with our easy to follow and easy to implement guides. You'll never want to drink instant coffee again!
Last but not least, it can serve up to 9 cups of coffee at once.
For more information, learn how to percolate coffee here.
- This 9 Cup Stainless Steel Percolator can serve up to 9 cups at once
- It is light in weight and durable in life
- It gets hot quickly
- It includes basket and percolator stem
- The Insulating Hardwood Handle allows you to handle it with hand easily
- The easy pour spout is included.
- Percolator coffee tends to have a bit of a learning curve
- It is flimsy in design.
- 9 Cup Stainless Steel Percolator
- Heavy-gauge seamless stainless steel construction, heats quickly
- Percolator stem and basket included
- Side handle with Insulating Hardwood Handle
- Easy pour spout
3. Faberware Classic Stainless Steel Percolator Coffee brewer
Like the Coleman 9-Cup Aluminum Coffee Pot, this is an ideal portable coffee maker choice for both home using and camping. It is designed in traditional way, making it look fine in any setting.
It is made of stainless steel, so durability is one of its strength. But that’s not all; it offers a guarantee of quality. In term of design, it has an angled spout, making it possible to fill your cup to the rim and claiming easy pouring also.
- This machine gives you chance to enjoy traditionally brewed coffee
- It promises to always give connoisseur-quality coffee and can perform well at home
- It is durable thanks to the material of stainless steel
- It is easy to clean and easy pouring
- It looks fine in any settings
- Quality assurance is given
- It allows you to brew up to eight cups of coffee with just a single setting and operates fine while camping
- The plastic handle helps to keep your fingers cool while pouring hot cups.
- The Knob get fogged easily
- It is tough to read the water markings
- The parts made of plastic can melt easily once there is too much heat.
- CLASSIC COFFEE MAKER: Make delicious coffee morning or evening with The Original 8-Cup Farberware Stovetop Percolator
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: Heavy-duty stainless steel coffee maker is polished to a mirror finish. The sturdy, clear glass knob lets you know when percolating begins
- NO MESS: Features a permanent filter basket, so there’s no need to deal with messy coffee filters
- DISHWASHER SAFE: Fully immersible and dishwasher safe, the percolator combines technology with the styling and quality Farberware has delivered for decades
- LIFETIME WARRANTY
4. Coleman QuikPot Propane Camping Coffee maker
This is one more coffee maker worth considering, especially for camping. It claims to offer the best and coffee while you are away for camping or tailgating with ease.
Unlike some other models, this unit does not come with stove for storage, instead, it has a propane power which can play roles of all stove, cords and percolator. About operation, it takes just 15 minutes to brew a full carafe (10 cups) for group of people.
- It is easy to use and light and portable to bring long away
- It is able to offer up to 10 cups each brewing
- It is simple to clean up thanks to the removable filter basket and safety to dishwasher
- It offers a long warranty of three year
- It is a perfect choice for camping, hunting, or any other outdoor occasions.
- The carafe is not able to keep coffee warm
- It takes quite long time to brew
- The is not always fine working.
- Portable propane coffee maker great for camping, hunting, tailgating, and more
- InstaStart push-button ignition offers convenient matchless lighting
- PerfectFlow technology to brew consistently even in extreme conditions
- 10-cup glass carafe and removable dishwasher-safe filter basket
- Lasts up to 4.5 hours on one 16.4-ounce propane cylinder (sold separately)
5. Original Bialetti Moka Express Coffee Maker
This is one more ideal choice that you really should consider before go on a camping. It is made of aluminum, making it durable in long life and reliable in quality.
About capacity, it is able to serve up to12 demitasse ( 2 ounces) cups of rich coffee each brewing and with the time between 4 and 5 minutes.
- It can make up to 12 cups of rich a brewing in as little as 5 minutes
- It is durable for being made of high quality polished aluminum
- It looks nice in classic Bialetti Octagon shape
- It is easy to clean and disassemble
- It comes with a 2-Year-Warranty.
- It may seem a bit expensive
- Makes 22.7 ounces of Moka Coffee – just under 3 full mugs
- Moka coffee is a strong, rich, and velvety brew
- Takes less than 5 minutes to brew on your stovetop
- High quality polished aluminum in the classic Bialetti octagon shape
- Patented safety valve; Easy to clean and disassemble
6. Primula Single Serve Coffee Brew Buddy
The Primula Single Serve Coffee Brew buddy is a great coffee maker/cup for camping and generally being on the go. It’s just a simple top that fits over any standard mug. The top contains a fine polyester mesh that you place coffee grounds in.
A wide brim means you can fit the Brew Buddy on really any mug – even the oversize mugs we use to really indulge in a giant serving of coffee.
Then you just pour water over the coffee, wetting the grounds as evenly as you can, and then either leave the filter in for a while to let the grounds steep a little more, or remove the filter and enjoy your cup!
The shortest amount of time you can brew a cup in with this is just 30 seconds(provided you have hot water, of course). It is better to steep the coffee for a more flavorful brew, though. Try steeping for different times and seeing the flavor differences to dial it in to your taste.
You can also experiment with the size of the grounds you use. Don’t go too fine, as that may leak through the mesh, but a medium-fine grind should be very good.
The mesh filter is reusable and easy to wash and if you take good care of it this camping coffee maker can last you for years and years. One potential drawback is having to get some of the residue out by hand(unless you’re using it at home with a dishwasher, which you can wash it in).
You can’t really dump out all of the gunk and expect it to be super clean right away.
- It can hold up to 4 scoops of coffee if you prefer a double strength cup
- It’s so small that it’s really easy to carry around and take with you wherever you go
- Reusable mesh filter
- Can be tough to clean
- COFFEE ON THE GO - Anytime, anywhere. Easy and convenient personal brewing system designed for the active coffee lover. The portable, slim line design allows you to brew anywhere you go in as little as 30 seconds. Perfect for everyday use at home, the office, traveling or camping.
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN - Patented brewing technology for a smooth and rich coffee experience. This reusable extra-fine mesh filter ensures no grounds end up in your cup. Fits most coffee cups or mugs including your travel mug.
- EASY TO USE - All you need is coffee, a cup or mug and hot water for your perfect single cup of coffee. Simply place the Brew Buddy over your cup, add your own coffee or tea blend, pour hot water and brew until your desired strength is reached.
- EASY TO CLEAN - Dishwasher safe. Simply dispose of used coffee grinds and rinse or place inside a dishwasher.
- SAVES MONEY - Eliminates the need for reusable paper filters, coffee pods or K-Cups, carafes or an electric coffee maker.
7. Presto MyJo Single Cup Portable Coffee Maker for K-Cups
Presto’s MyJo Single Cup Coffee Maker is an amazingly portable machine you can use to brew a single serving of coffee – which makes it perfect for camping.
The top part of the coffee maker detaches, so you can either fill it with water up to the levels marked on it and pop it in the microwave, or you can fill it with hot water.
Your favorite K-Cup(coffee, tea, hot chocolate, what have you) fits into the bottom and that screws into the top. Then place the whole device over your favorite coffee mug and pump!
The pressure from pumping will force water through the K-Cup at a higher pressure that normal and brew you some really nice single serve coffee.
You can take this little machine anywhere – which is why it made our list of camping coffee makers. It’s also good for RVs, hotels, and even at home if you love your K Cups but don’t want to buy a big Keurig machine.
Aside from K Cups, you can also use the included pod and fill it with your favorite coffee grounds for even fresher coffee. However, the reusable pod in the MyJo is not the same as Keurig’s reusable pod, so if you end up breaking it, you’ll have to get your replacement from Presto and not from Keurig.
In some cases, the reusable cup is almost as expensive to replace than the entire coffee maker itself!
Still, the Presto is an awesome little machine to have and you can brew 6, 8, or 10 ounce servings of coffee from it.
Note: Some users have reported that that during the first use, no water comes out of the top reservoir. There is a little silicone valve in the top reservoir that has a little slit in it.
During manufacturing, either this slit is not open enough(in which case just pinch it open) or the slit is just not there, in which case, take a sharp knife and make a small slit.
- K Cup compatibility
- Can use your own pods too
- Reusable pod is not the same as Keurig pod
- May have to open slit to brew the first time
- The convenience of a single cup coffee maker without the high cost!
- Compact design lets you take it anywhere - home, work, school, travel or camping
- Heat water, Fill reservoir with hot water from tea kettle or place filled reservoir in microwave and heat
- Assemble, place K-Cup pack in base, attach the water reservoir and pump; brew and enjoy!
- Place assembled Coffee maker on top of your favorite Coffee Mug or cup and pump water through K-Cup pack to brew
8. GSI Outdoors Collapsible Java Drip Portable Coffee Dripper
The GSI Outdoors collapsible Java drip is a really good coffee maker for camping if you enjoy drip coffee. Essentially, it’s a little rubber disc that expands into a full funnel in which you place a paper filter into.
Then just fill the filter with coffee grounds, and pour over hot water to brew some really good drip coffee.
What’s really neat is that the GSI Outdoors Java Drip expands into 4 different sizes to fit 4 sizes of paper filters so you can adjust it to the amount of coffee you need to brew.
The disc is quite wide and can easily fit on your favorite coffee mug or travel mug, too(it has a diameter of 5.6 inches).
It’s also super easy to clean since you literally just need to rinse it and you’re good to go.
If you’re short on space when you are traveling, this is a great portable coffee maker option to take along with you – however, you will need to carry paper filters with you too. Paper filters don’t take up much space or have much weight, but it’s just an extra thing to dispose of.
This won’t be a problem at proper campsites or in RVs, but if you’re out in the wilderness, you’ll have to dump the paper. It’s fully biodegradable, though, so it should not be a huge issue.
The hole in the disc is quite tiny so it has quite a slow flow rate. It will take a while to get the desired amount of coffee in your cup. To remedy this, you can either slightly widen the hole or poke a second one for faster water flow.
Otherwise, it’s superbly portable and a great coffee maker for camping coffee.
- Collapses into a small funnel
- 4 different sizes for 4 filter sizes
- Slow flow rate
- Needs paper filters
- Stay caffeinated: coffee? Always! The Java drip makes your caffeine needs attainable during car camping, Gourmet backpacking, or any pursuit where space and weight is At a premium, but coffee is a must
- Espressos for everyone: The Java drip brews one to twelve steaming cups of fresh Coffee for everyone on your journey
- Compact design: measuring 5. 6 by 5. 6 by 1 inch when expanded, the Java drip collapses to a 1-inch high, 5. 5-Inch diameter disc for easy packing
- No spills, no problem: The Java Drip’s unique flange helps center drip cone over mugs, cups and wide-mouth bottles for stable, spill-free brewing, even during your wildest adventures
- Lifetime : GSI Outdoors spent over 30 years building quality, performance products and stands behind them 100%. GSI Outdoors warranties all products for the original owner against manufacturing defects for the lifetime of the product
9 WACAO Minipresso Portable espresso machine
The WACAO inipresso makes our list because it is designed specifically for making an espresso shot on the go. If you prefer an intense shot of espresso rather than regular coffee, this coffee maker is for you.
The beauty of this machine is that there are no electronics involved – the whole thing is operated by hand, and you generate pressure by the semi-automatic piston.
You just have to open it up, pour in some ground coffee(your choice of bean/roast, just make sure the grind is fine, as required for espresso), pour in hot water, pump a few times to get the required pressure, and presto! Enjoy a delicious espresso shot with a thick, foamy crema on top.
There is also an option to get a larger tank so you can pull a bigger shot in one go. The existing tank is very small, just 1.75 ounces, enough for a single shot of espresso.
It’s small size and ease of use make the Minipresso an amazing espresso maker for camping and for when you’re generally short on space. You’ll just need a source of hot water as a coffee machine so portable will naturally not be able to heat water.
- Great espresso brewing
- Superb portable option for travel
- Can only brew a single shot in one go
- No battery/electricity need. Manual operation only! Compact, lightweight and versatile, you may use any variety of coffee bean/roast, which will give you more flexibility in trying new flavors.
- Need to add the boiling water! Minipresso GR is your best choice to enjoy up to 50 ml of authentic espresso at home, in the office and on the go.
- Simple to operate! Add ground coffee to the filter basket with the help of the integrated scoop. Apply slight pressure to level the grind. Add hot water into the water tank. Finally unlock from its travel position the piston and pump a few strokes to pressurize and extract perfect espresso with generous crema.
- If you have any problem with our products or need help, please feel free to contact us through Amazon. We will respond you in time and give you a satisfactory solution.
- Note: Accessories are sold separately! Enhance your Minipresso to get the most from it. Enjoy longer espresso, up to 100ml, and protect it from scratches. You can purchase accessories separately from our store.
10. Aeropress Go Portable Coffee Maker
No list of portable coffee makers would be complete without mentioning the Aeropress Go! The Aeropress Go is a smaller version of the extremely popular Aeropress.
The Aeropress go uses a unique method of pressure brewing to make a really strong, intense shot of coffee in less than a minute.
You can either enjoy the shot as is(though it is not the same as an espresso), or you can dilute it with water and enjoy an Americano.
The Aeropress Go is very uniquely designed to have all the parts fit inside it: the scoop, the stirrer, and even a cup to drink from.
The tight packing up makes it an extremely ideal portable and travel system.
- Brews great coffee
- Lots of recipes to try
- Super portable and versatile
- Easy to clean
- The included cup is not the best
Portable Coffee Maker Buying Guide
Before coming in details about specific coffee maker for camping, you should be sure about the things you are looking for in it. In general, ask yourself some questions: you want the machine to offer the lightest weight or the best flavor, or a mix of both?
You want it to be the most portable or the easiest to use?
Some of the models we’ve listed above will require an external heat source, one which is readily available on most campsites if you make a campfire. Or you could also use a propane stove, if you’ve brought one along.
One of the machines listed above has a small propane tank built into it, but then, you’re saddled with the additional weight. I mean, I would not want something so heavy that it becomes a hassle to carry in my backpack.
But if you’re driving an RV into the mountains and camping there, and you have lots of storage space and no need to worry about carrying weight, you can opt for a heavier coffee maker.
In fact, if weight is not a concern, why not bring along your coffee grinder, too?
Below is a quick look at portable coffee maker types.
Percolator coffee makers are traditional brewing which simply require you to boil water and add the grounds. Typically, a percolator machine is a metal pot having a basket inside where you fill in the grounds. Then it bubbles up into the grinds once the water below gets boiled. The whole process lasts almost three minutes and results in a rough flavor.
2. French Press
French Presses are highly appreciated for the using ease but complex cleaning up. To make coffee with this machine, you simply place the grounds to the container’s bottom, pour water, and let it steep.
When you want to enjoy the coffee, press down the plunger-screen to separate the grounds and water to pour the coffee into a cup. The French presses coffee has a distinct murky flavor which some drinker are addicted.
3. Pour-Over Style Drip
This is a simple but refined method for morning coffee. The brewing process includes hand grinding, water temperature measuring (using a thermometer) and counting the time the water is in contact with the grounds. The result coffee are satisfying without much fuss. In term of design, it is basically a filter and a cone only, so it is easily portable.
4. Gas Grill Coffee Maker
The great Coleman Camping Coffee Maker is an example of this type. Basically, these machines are like pots in your kitchen counter which require only grill or fuel canisters to operate. And they also result in a full pot.
Machines of this type are bulky and quite costly, but they can serve groups of people, and share the most common things with a standard coffee maker at home.
How to brew great coffee no matter where you are
Brewing good coffee depends on your brewing equipment, but you can brew great coffee without a coffee maker, too.
You can’t, however, brew good coffee with bad coffee beans or the wrong kinds of grounds.
Great coffee needs three things:
- Fresh coffee beans: Older coffee beans just can’t compare to freshly roasted beans. Try to use beans that are as fresh as possible and you’ll instantly notice the difference in coffee. Also make sure you are using the right kind of roast and blend that suits your taste buds.
- The right grind: Depending on your brewing method, the right grind is critical for good coffee. You can’t brew good espresso with coarse grounds and you can’t brew good french press with superfine grounds.
- Water temperature: Boiling water can burn coffee and bring out the bitter and sour compounds too quickly, rather than unlocking the right oils and flavor compounds.
The Verdict: Which is the best portable coffee maker?
The camping coffee makers we mentioned at the start of the post are quite bulky, so while they are indeed portable, they’re more suited for camping. Those coffee makers will make great drip coffee.
If you are a pour-over fan, the GSI Outdoors collapsible funnel is an awesome choice as it’s just so portable!
If you like espresso, you can’t go wrong with the Wacaco Minipresso.
Finally, if you’d like something that’s all-round and can brew anything you throw at it, go for the Aeropress.
Frequently asked questions
Are there any good travel french presses?
There are no travel french presses in this list because I am not a huge fan of them. Mainly because the coffee grounds continue to be in contact with water even after you plunge down. So if you’re goign to drink out of the same thing as you brew in, the coffee will gradually get worse.
One solution would be to pour into another mug.
Can I use any of these coffee makers for camping?
Sure! Some of the machines in this list are indeed for camping, and the other machines are portable enough to take along with you wherever you go.
Last update on 2020-07-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API