I don’t know about other coffee purists, but I can’t quite kick the habit of adding dairy to my coffee. Sure, I’ll enjoy a black coffee every now and then, but the texture and flavor that some creamy, frothy milk adds to an espresso shot just makes it out of this world.
Coffee is one thing, coffee infused with steamed milk blows everything out of the water(hue hue).
Note: Before we get into the best milk frothers, if you really want decadent, and I mean DECADENT cappuccinos/lattes/etc, then add one part heavy cream to two parts milk, and froth that mixture. When you pour your espresso shot into that mixture, you’ll forget that you’re on earth and for those precious few moments, end up in a fantasy land of coffee, cream, and exquisiteness.
Milk frothers abound in most popular espresso machines – a lot of machines have two parts to them, and use the same water you fill in the tank to prepare the espresso shot and inject steam into your cup of milk to really froth it up.
By the way, if you use a microwave and just pour your finely crafted espresso shot into warm milk, please stop(unless you like it that way and you’ve tried it the other way and decided you did not like it).
Simply warming up the milk does not do coffee justice – frothing completely changes the milk’s texture, injects a whole dimension of volume, and results in an amazingly smooth taste. There’s just no other way to enjoy dairy in your coffee.
If you don’t froth, you’re not doing it right.
So how do you go about frothing?
The easy way is to just use the frother that’s built into your espresso machine. However, your espresso machine may not have a frother built in, or the one that it has is terrible, in which case you need to pick up a frother, and fast.
My first espresso machine was an inexpensive machine that produced decent espresso shots but was impossible to use the frother on. I had to fill milk in a tank, insert a rubber pipe, press the steam button at just the right time, and end up with mediocre quality frothed milk.
On top of that, it was a huge pain to clean up – an often forgotten factor of the otherwise glamorous process that is espresso making.
Handheld milk frothers
Assuming your espresso machine’s frother is either terrible or non-existent, the simplest and cheapest way to froth milk is using a a small handheld manual milk frother.
These are devices that have a stiff wire protruding from them, at the end of which is a whisk coil. You insert the coil all the way down into your milk jug, press the button, and the wire will vibrate rapidly, moving the coil and whisking the milk, dissolving more and more air into it to give it that frothy feel.
However, these devices take a long time to froth milk to a decent level, and by the time you get the froth you want, your milk may have gone cold.
If you’re just looking for a quick froth(a little extra texture, but not the kind of heavy, dollopy milk you would see in a coffee shop), then these frothers are quick and dirty solutions.
- GET CREAMY FROTH QUICKLY: Powerlix brings you its portable handheld milk frother for frothed milk. If you love your morning coffee with lots of froth and foam, then you certainly want to have Powerlix frothing wand at home or your cafÃ style cappuccino. It comes with a stand for easy storage and can be kept on the countertop.
- BATTERY OPERATED FOR PERFECT FROTH IN NO TIME: The mixer is battery powered so you don't have to worry about cords and finding sockets. Heat up the milk, immerse the espresso maker into the cup and turn it on. The milk foamer will start creating creamy froth on the milk instantly. Within 15 - 20 seconds, you have a cup filled with creamy froth and ready to go into your coffee latte.
- QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST: Our milk whisk frappe maker is made of the best quality stainless steel. It has a powerful motor that gives you 19000 rpm and the dual spring durable long 18/10 food safe material stainless steel spiral whisk that won't rust or break over the time, delivers double the power of other frothers and professional espresso makers available. The power button on top makes it easy to use. The low noise motor barely makes a sound.
- BEAUTIFULLY STYLED WITH VERSATILITY: The machine is beautifully styled in black color to fit into any modern kitchen. It is lightweight and has ergonomically designed soft touch handle. It is easy to use and easy to clean. It can be used to froth other liquids besides hot milk. Use it to make milkshakes for your kids or cocktails for your friends. It will work well with both hot and cold liquids.
- 100% LIFETIME WARRANTY: The milk frother is so handy and useful that you can gift it to your friends and family too. Let them enjoy the convenience of making chocolate or cappuccino at home. We are confident of our product and know you will like it. This is why we back up our product with a LIFETIME warranty, and the amazing FREE BONUS eBook is yours to keep. Order now and start to create thick and creamy foam for your homemade drinks
- 200 CYCLES PER SECOND - WHIP UP THE RICHEST, DREAMIEST FROTH IN MOMENTS. Let this portable drink mixer do all the work for a truly idiot proof latte, cappuccino or macchiato that WOWS your guest (and serves your taste buds best). Kids love making whipped hot chocolate with this mini electric whisk too!
- ULTRA-VERSATILE MINI BLENDER – ADD A SMOOTH, HEALTHY, DELICIOUS CREAMINESS TO your matcha tea, keto bulletproof coffee, scrambled eggs PLUS SPIN THE GRIT out of your whey smoothies and protein powder drinks. Electric frother works wonderfully with all DAIRY & NON-DAIRY almond, cashew, soy, whole milk, butter and cream.
- TAKE THIS ANYWHERE TO IMPRESS guests at your next picnic, barbecue, baby shower or Girls Night In. Ultra-durable, battery operated foamer travels light, packs up easily and run on easily replaceable 2 AA batteries (NOT INCLUDED). Simply dunk it in, press the ON button and watch their faces light up with glee.
- PREMIUM 18/10 STAINLESS STEEL - INSTANTLY COMES CLEAN: Quickly run whisk portion under hot tap water while turning on for a few seconds and its ready for your next brilliant drink concoction. SPACE SAVING WHISKER & STAND COMPLIMENTS your kitchen or easily TUCKS AWAY in small cupboards or drawers.
- LIFETIME MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE – BUY FROM THE TRUSTED BRAND WHO ACTUALLY CARES about exceeding your expectations, and proves it with a 100% satisfaction, no questions asked money back guarantee. Discover how much you’ll LOVE IT today when you Click Add to Cart Now.
- ☕ HANDS FREE - While other frothers need to be held, SIMPLETaste Milk Frother can be placed upon its shockproof silicone base so you can free your hands and go about other preparations as your milk automatically becomes foam. Powered by 2 AA batteries (Not included) so you never have to worry about finding an outlet.
- ☕ FASTEST WAY TO RICH CREAMY FOAM - Frothing has never been easier! If you love your morning coffee with froth, SIMPLETaste Milk Frother is the perfect solution. Create perfect foam with a push of a button for a rich, creamy topping for all your favorite beverages.
- ☕ HOT AND COLD FROTHING - Make hot milk foam or cold milk foam to top all your favorite coffee and chocolate beverages. Bring out the barista in you and make cappuccinos, macchiatos, lattes, flat whites, and more, all from the comfort of your home kitchen.
- ☕ EASY TO USE AND CLEAN - Simply press one button to make milk foam in under 30 seconds. Froths up to 7oz of cold milk or 5oz of hot milk. When finished, the BPA-free Beaker can be placed in the dishwasher for the easiest of cleanups.
- ☕ WE CARE ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE- Our California based office ensures a quick response to your problems. If you have any problem, please contact/email us first.
Electric milk frothers
Electric milk frothers are more elaborate machines which combine heating and frothing into one neat device, so you are left with a cup of hot, frothy, velvety milk.
There are quite a few different models available, as you may imagine, but here are the best of the best. Some are pricey, some are budget, but if you want a standalone, reliable milk frothing solution for your daily/frequent caffeine fix, then you should seriously consider picking one of these up.
1. Breville BMF600XL Milk Cafe Milk Frother
There’s just something about hot dairy that is comforting, filling, and incredibly enjoyable to drink – and the Breville BMF600XL is a hot dairy powerhouse.
Even though it’s the most expensive milk frother on the list, it may be a worthwhile investment because first, it has the Breville name on it, which is synonymous with great coffee and espresso.
The Breville uses induction heating – so it’s actually a two piece unit, where you’d place the jug of milk on the top – so there is only one thing to wash, which has no electrical components in it, so you can just stick it in the dishwasher.
There are two discs(which spin to create the froth) that you can use and are included with the machine when you buy it – one for just making hot milk, such as for a regular latte, and one for extreme frothing, such as for a cappuccino.
The manufacturer even advertises that you could throw some hot chocolate powder into the mixer and you’ll have well mixed, perfectly heated, creamy hot chocolate!
The temperature is adjustable, and whatever temperature you set, the machine will auto shut off once that has been reached.
The only issue, really, with this machine is that it is a little too large and if you are making a single small shot of espresso, then you’ll have to make a lot more milk than you need. But if you plan on using this for entertaining or for couple’s coffee, then there is truly no better machine.
- Latte frothing disc for smooth and silky milk. Please review the Product Videos under the images before use.
- Cappucino frothing disk for thick and creamy froth
- Hot chocolate maker, by simply adding drinking chocolate powder, flakes or syrup to the warming milk
- On-board disc storage
- Product uses induction heating, you can simply place the jug in the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
2. Nespresso Aeroccino Plus
Next up on our list is the Nespresso Aeroccino Plus, which is quite similar to the Breville above in that it bears a solid name, Nespresso, and uses induction heating to heat up the milk.
It also comes with two disks, one for just warming and one for frothing, but unlike the Breville, it does not have temperature control, so you only have options for hot or cold milk.
Cleaning is not as easy as popping it in a dishwasher, but it’s still fairly easy with a quick rinse and scrub and should not take you more than a few minutes.
Whereas the Breville machine was too large, the Nespresso is a little too small for making multiple cups of coffee – though it is ideal for one or two cups, so perfect for couples.
One gripe that many people have about the Nespresso is its reliability – many people have reported their machines dying prematurely, and even though some were able to qualify for a replacement, it’s still an unnecessary inconvenience.
The main reason we’ve listed this machine on our top picks is that the price point is very reasonable for the feature set and brand name you are getting, so if you’re a little strapped for cash but want a feature rich machine, the Nespresso is a good pick.
- Maximum capacity: 130 ml (for milk froth preparation), 250 ml (for hot milk preparation) 120V
- Hot and cold milk froth for cappuccinos,hot milk for lattes
- Maximum and minimum level indicators.Hot milk froth in 70 sec
- Detachable base. Please refer the 2nd image for troubleshooting steps.
- NOTE:Kindly review the videos under the image section and user manual under product details for set up and user guidance.
3. Epica Automatic Electric Milk Frother and Heater Carafe
The final automatic milk frother we have on our list is the Epica – if you have not heard of Epica, it’s for good reason – it’s a white label company, so they don’t run advertising campaigns or anything of the sort.
In the same way the Nespresso was a budget version of the Breville, the Epica is a budget version of the Nespresso. It’s pretty much identical except that the Epica uses a fitted disk to froth the milk, whereas the Nespresso and Breville use magnets to hold the disk in place.
The magnet is of course more efficient, since mechanical parts tend to get stuck after some time.
There are three settings on the Epica: cold froth, hot froth, and hot milk, depending on what kind of beverage you are in the mood for. For hot milk, it can fit up to 8 oz or one cup of milk.
For frothing, you’ll be at half of that or 4 oz – so essentially you can only do one cup at a time.
Still, the whole process takes little under a minute, so it’s not that bad.
There is a 2 year warranty provided by the manufacturer so even though it’s a lesser known brand, your purchase is protected.
Reviews for the Epica milk frother are overwhelmingly positive, and I think that is a combination of the simplicity of the device(you are giving up some extra bells and whistles), the reliability, and the price – these three factors combined make it the best budget milk frother you can get.
- Makes hot or cold milk froth for cappuccino or iced drinks, heats milk for latte and other hot drinks
- Stainless steel with vacuum insulation helps contents maintain temperature
- Carafe detaches from base for easy pouring
- Capacity: frothing 4.25 oz./125 ml., heating 8.5 oz./250 ml.
- Make sure to only fill until the lower max line (there are 2 max lines ). The higher max line is for heating without frothing . If you use the higher max line and froth it may overflow .
Manual milk frothers
4. Bellemain Stainless Steel Handheld Milk Frother
If you need to get your frothy fix of caffeine on the road – or prefer putting more of your hands into your creations, then pick up a manual milk frother such as this one by Bellemain. You don’t need to worry about electricity – and washing it becomes very easy.
All you need to do is fill up milk and get cranking for about 2 minutes, after which you’ll have some lovely, thick frothy milk.
The only issue with a manual milk frother is that there is no way to heat the milk, so you have to heat in the microwave and pop it in to get frothing. Otherwise, if you try and heat after frothing, you will lose a lot of the bubbles in the process.
The biggest advantage with a manual frother is the lack of electronics, so less things can go wrong, and the cost, which is a fraction of anything else available on the market.
This frother can do up to 14 oz at once, which is enough for 2 to 3 cups.
- Get thick, long-lasting froth in seconds
- Create creamy cappuccino, luscious latte, heavenly hot chocolate, excellent eggnog, perfectly emulsified salad dressings and more
- No electricity needed, great for travel
- Durable, dishwasher safe stainless steel
- 2 year warranty
Last update on 2020-04-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API