Many people believe you need a super expensive espresso machine in order to have a delicious and high quality cup of espresso.
Let me ask you, do you believe this to be true? Well, if you do, join the masses of people. They are sadly mistaken. There are plenty of great budget espresso machines that can get you started in the world of espresso making.
What many people need to understand is the price of espresso machines are truly dictated by the numerous features they can do – not the quality of an espresso shot.
While more expensive machines will come with industry-worthy materials and tools – there are plenty of cheap, budget espresso machines under $100 that are just as qualified.
With espresso machines under $100, you will always have a delicious tasting cup of espresso with creamy, rich and thick froth and crema.
It is essential to always do your research and understand what machines you are buying before you actually buy it. In this bracket, you will tend to find some machine that are total rip-offs. To guide you in the right direction, we have put together a list of the top-rated espresso machines under $100.
Budget Espresso Machines: What can you expect from them?
Purchasing an espresso machine under $100 could provide some risk-factor. At this tier, there are companies around the world that produce machines in hopes to get bought. Our goal is to help you walk past those machines and find your way to the elite of this budget.
These machines, while lacking the luxurious features of machines $500 and up, come with the bare essential to create a delicious shot of espresso.
However, these will be pretty comparable to espresso machines that are under $200.
Many of the better machines will come with steaming and frothing wands as well. What you should anticipate is to grind your own grinds before each use.
As always, it’s recommended that you buy a high-quality grinder before any cup of espresso. It’s always said that an espresso machine is nothing without its grinder.
Types of Espresso Machines: Quick Overview
Manual Espresso Machines
Manuel espresso machines are some of the most unique machinery in the industry. While they may not have dozens of features, they are some of the most prized possessions.
Why? These machines cost nearly as much as super automatic espresso machines, and sometimes more. They often are designed with unique materials such as silver, copper, bronze and even gold.
Moreover, these machines bring control back into the hands of the user. In fact, in order for the machine to work, the user must do all of the work.
Semi-Automatic Espresso Machines
Semi-automatic espresso machines are the tier about manual espresso machines in the mind set of less work for the user. These machines are geared towards having the machine do half of the work.
These machines comes with a basic boiler, portafilter and switch for extraction. The user will still be responsible for grinding the coffee beans and frothing the milk. In total, there are two variations of these machines
- Manual Semi-Automatic
This is not to be confused with the manual espresso machines. Manual semi-automatic machines are semi-automatic espresso machines where the use is responsible for the extraction process. There are no programmable features to stop the brewing process.
Programmable Semi-Automatic espresso machines gives the power to the espresso machine. The user can program doses and times with the machine and it will do all of the work for the user.
Super Automatic Espresso Machines
When it comes to next tier of advancements, the super automatic espresso machine shines with all of its bells and whistles. This is the tier then many espresso lovers wish to own.
These machines often come built with some of the fanciest features and include the often-sought after, Grinder. With these machines, the user will no longer have to grind the beans or clean up the messes.
Super automatic espresso machines are capable of grinding and brewing all in one. You most likely have seen these machines at restaurants or coffee shops.
5 Best Budget Espresso Machines
1) DeLonghi EC155 15 Bar Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
If you are new to the espresso industry and are seeking a cheap machine, let me let you in on a little secret: DeLonghi is one of the best brands in the entire industry.
There are not many machines or brands out there that can compete with the technology, innovation and quality of a DeLonghi Espresso Machine. Without further ado, let’s take a look at the features of the first Top-Rated Espresso Machine under $100.
- This is a super compact and décor-driven machine that will compliment any kitchen counter top. This machine is also the perfect size to transport to the office or small meetings.
- This machine comes with two different options: extracting espresso the traditional way or through easy-serving espresso, or ESE pods.
- Built with a manual frother, the user can mix their own steam and milk to create the most delicious espresso drinks in the world!
- What is so beautiful about this machine is how much work it will do for you. With a 15-bar professional pressure system – every single shot will be near barista-perfect.
- The Rapid Cappuccino System is one of the most loved parts of this machine. You no longer need to wait in-between shots. The machine will regulate its temperature and stay at the optimal temperature to brew a second cup.
2) Philips SAECO Poemia Espresso Machine
Another famous brand and player in the espresso industry is Philips. They had built one of the most budget-friendly espresso machines in this bracket: the SAECO Poemia Espresso Machine.
This machine is built with some of the most impressive features that have captured the eyes of espresso lovers around the world. There is a reason why many believe this machine should win awards and this is why:
- Poemia comes built with a 15-bar pump pressure system and the patented portafilter by Philips. This is a huge benefit because each shot of espresso and surpasses every expectation. Each shot is optimal, warm and rich.
- Many espresso lovers truly love epreso for the hazel-brown crema that remains on top of the shot. The Poemia is known to produce some of the richest and tastiest crema in the industry.
- If you want to make sure your espresso is at the perfect temperature, it starts with the cup. This machine comes built with a cup warmer on top of the machine. Don’t forget to warm up your cups before your shot of espresso!
- This machine is compatible with ground coffee and/or single serve espresso pods. Whatever route you choose, the entire process has minimal messes. With removable parts, the clean up process is easy, simple, and fast.
- What is better than a Pannarello Steam Wand? Nothing! With perfect froth every time or hot water – consistent espresso shots will become your best friend.
3) Mr. Coffee ECMP50 Espresso/Cappuccino Maker
Everyone loves the brand Mr. Coffee. Why? Mr. Coffee makes high-quality and long lasting machines. On top of this, their products are naturally cheap.
Now, not cheap where they break easily – cheap where it’s considered a steal. Let’s take a look at the rundown of features on this machine.
- The Mr. Coffee machine comes built with a 15-bar pump system, which according to the top-rated machines is quite typical. This does guarantee the richest and darkest espresso brew.
- Another handy feature of this machine is it’s handy dandy Frothing Arm. This is perfect for the user who wants to top their espresso shot with creamy froth like a barista.
- With a Thermal Block Heating System, the espresso lover can brew and extract coffee with consistent heating and delicious tastes.
- Instead of wasting so much time cleaning, this machine comes with numerous removable features to maximize your time.
- The machines comes prepackaged with a 40-ounc water tank, which is pretty big for this market. It is easy to access and easy to fill up!
- With One-Touch Brew and Steam Controls, the user will not need to waste much time learning all different buttons and knobs. It is easy as the touch of one button!
4) Nespresso Inissia Pod Espresso Machine
While this budget espresso machine is just a tad bit over $100, I thought I would still include it on this list. It is easily one of the top trending machines in the entire world.
With thousands of reviews and almost 5 stars everywhere you look, this machine is easily one of the top-rated espresso machines for this budget. Don’t waste your money on machines you don’t know. Get this one! Let’s take look at all the features you will get
- This machine is a capsule-base machine. What that means is the user will insert Nespresso Coffee Capsules into the machine and the espresso machine will do all of the work. It is easy and simple to learn and use.
- Out of the entire list, this machine has the highest bar and pressure system. With 19 Bar High Pressure, every single shot is of the highest possible quality.
- With two programmable buttons, the user will have some choice as to the type of espresso they will have: espresso or lungo.
- This machine is extremely compact and perfect for any kitchen. With only a 24 ounce water tank, it will take up no room on your counter. You could also easily transport this to your office or bring it with you on vacation.
5) DeLonghi Bar 32 Retro 15 Bar Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
Let me ask you something – have you wondered yet why there are two different DeLonghi machines on this list? The truth is, as I mentioned before – they are THAT good.
I can’t stress this enough to anyone new to the espresso world. DeLonghi produces some of the best machinery with the highest grade of materials and the greatest shots of espresso. With an affordable price tag next to it, this machine has been jumping off the shelves. Let’s take a look at the features and why this machine is so popular.
- DeLonghi made a machine that was meant to accommodate all different type of espresso lovers: pod and ground coffee lovers. If you prefer either, this machine can both of them. With a patented dual function filter holder – you have full control over the type of espresso you wish to have.
- With the swivel jet frother, you can create the perfect and tastiest lattes and cappuccinos every single time.
- Another impressive feature that many machines in this bracket don’t carry is the self-priming feature. Often times, users will wait some time before the machine is prepared in ready. With this, it is self-priming and saves the user a ton of time!
- Rather than the temperature of water and steam to be controlled together – this machine comes with built-in separate thermostats. This results in the perfect temperature and most accurate temperature across the board.
- The machine is built with a 15 BAR Pump, which is seemingly regular in comparison to other machines on this list. What this means for the user is that each shot of espresso with the stainless steel boiler will be nearly perfect every single time.
Budget Espresso Machines: Which should you pick, then?
It’s totally understandable after seeing these beautiful espresso machines that you have no idea what to buy. I am guessing you might one to buy one of each, right?
Well, the truth is, your safest bet of espresso machines in your budget are these machines. I would not stray away to other machines or brands.
These are the most notable brands with some of the best features at this level. Take the time to figure out what your exact budget is and what features are important to you.
If you decide the a pod machine is best for you, please keep in mind that pod and capsules can be quite expensive in the long-run in comparison to coffee beans.
At the same time, if you opt-in for a machine utilizing coffee beans, do you already have a top-grade grinder to handle the beans?
Regardless of whatever choice you make, you will be happy with either choice from this list. Out of all of the reviews, these machines are known as the top in the entire industry.
So, when you do finally decide and buy a machine, when you make your first shot, come back and let us know how it tastes and how the experience was.
Last update on 2019-07-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API