Have you ever walked down the coffee isle and seen a unique machine that only came with a container and a pressure pressor? I think this is a commonalty amongst many coffee aficionados.
However, in many cases, those people don’t know the power, wealth and quality that these machines possess. In technical terms, these machines are known as French Press Coffee Machines. Simply put, these machines utilize force and pressure to produce coffee at its purest form. With each French pressed coffee, the user obtains a rich, dark and full-bodied cup of coffee.
What are French Press Machines all about?
French Press Machines are completely different than automatic coffee machines and maker. One of the biggest differences that one will notice is that French Press Machines do not utilize the paper or plastic filters that coffee makers use. In that, French Press Machines provide the user with all of the natural oils and natural flavors of coffee that are often trapped in the filters.
Moreover, in most of the cases, through this process, many automatic machines begin to build residue and staining begins to occur. With French Press Machines, the clean-up is simply and easy. In fact, there is no risk of burning the coffee or having that “left-over” coffee taste.
If you buy the perfect French Press, you can even get a thermal insulation to keep your coffee warm and ready. There truly is no comparison in the flavor or taste of a French Press and any other machine, these machines are far superior and on a whole new level.
How do you brew a French Press Coffee?
For your benefit, we are going to answer this question in two different ways: explaining with words and allowing a video to do the magic. Sometimes, it is much easier to see the French Press at hand rather than words. Without further ado, the first step is to pick out your type of coffee grinds that you desire.
From there, you are going to take your ground coffee, coarsely is preferred, and place it at the bottom of the machine. Following the coffee grinds, you are going to put boiling water. It is advised that for every 8oz of water, you do 1-2 tablespoons of coffee grinds.
The magic resides in the four minute waiting period before you can do anything else. After four minutes, you are going to use the handy-dandy machine and press the coffee. The magic behind this whole process is that the user has full-control over the strength of the coffee. Depending on how you like your coffee will depend upon the length of time you wait before pressing the coffee.
If the description did not make the cut for you, please check out this very quick video that will demonstrate the simplicity of this process. Please note, their measurements are their preferences, when you are using these machines, your preferences will take precedent.
How Is a French Press Maker Different From Other Coffee Makers?
Unlike other coffee makers, French Presses need boiled water to run as they do not have a steamer or heater to do this. The coffee grounds are required to be in perfect size, so you will have to grind coffee beans before starting brewing them. Note that you are not recommended using pre-ground coffee beans as the final taste will be different. Grind enough coffee beans for one time of drinking only. So how to run the machines? Yeah, firstly, take out the plunger from the machine, and directly add a proper amount of coffee ground to the base. Then, carefully reinstall the plunger, pay attention to the filter, make sure that it is in its correct place so that the grounds won’t go up as you press. As your coffee grounds are ready, add the hot water to the press. Wait about 4 minutes for the ground and the hot water to mix together. Close the plunger and add mixed coffee to your cups. If you want, you can add some sugar and cream (at your own desired amount) into your coffee.
French press coffee maker also requires a different cleaning way. The filter needs to be rinsed once you finish pouring the coffee into your cup. The immediate filter cleaning like this is important, otherwise leftover coffee grounds and coffee mix will easily affect the filter, and then change taste and smell of your coffee in the next brewing time. This is different from cleaning other coffee machines- it doesn’t matter to clean filter after breakfast or coffee time. In addition to this, with a French press, you have to unscrew the handle to clean the filter thoroughly. As you unscrew, remember to place parts in certain order for easier reassemble later. The cleaning stainless steel pot requires the same things and procedures.
The Taste Of The Coffee
It is suggested that French Press coffee maker is able to offer the most flavorful coffee compared to other brewers do. Simply put the coffee sediments or coffee powder which has just been grinded before, at the bottom of your cup before taking the first sip. As the grounds settle down, they will infuse heavy and rich coffee flavor into water. The longer the grounds infuse coffee flavor, the better the taste will be. It is also important to remove the used grounds immediately after brewing and never think of using it again for the rich taste. Trust to say, French press is famous for its intense as well as flavorful coffee, which is much better than the normal coffee tastes. So if you are addicted to strong coffee taste, this is the best coffee brewer option.
What To Consider When It Comes To Buying A French Press Coffee Maker?
There are some important points that you need to keep in mind for the most suitable French Press Coffee Maker in the end. And here they are!
The Cheapest One Doesn’t Mean The Most Money-Saving Way
This is my own experience after choosing the cheapest drip coffee machine and espresso machine to buy. Similarly, French press can be made either of metal or glass- it will be in cheaper price but a pretty fragile tool. So if you are a new users, you had better say no with cheaper and pretty fragile tools.
The Most Expensive One Doesn’t Mean The Best One
If you cannot afford for a very expensive French Press Coffee Maker, do not manage to buy it by all means. Let’s choose the item which can satisfy your needs and reasonable to your budget. And it is recommended picking the middle ground. They are affordable while working fine. If you still want the Cadillac, then look for coupons or wait for a sale-on opportunity.
Consider Product Real Users’ Reviews
Former users’ reviews are one of the most reliable source of information when it comes to investing an new product. For the best result, do not read the rating only, read the ideas and experiences the users share about the product, the sides at which the product is good at and bad at as well. Sometimes, the features that others don’t like are what you are looking for… So read them all, the good and bad review.
Metal Or Plastic Frame
Mental frame seems to be more preferable for it is supposed to be stronger and in higher-quality. But you are careful enough and you do not plan to put the machines in the areas of much other equipment around, you may prefer plastic fame for it is better looking.
Actually, you are advised not to pay too much attention to the information of ‘cup size’ listed, instead of this, let’s consider the ounces that the machine is able to hold. Some users share that they find nothing to do with the cup measurements listed in their French press.
This is a favorite feature to many users as it contributes to easier cleaning. However, such glass carafes are in higher risk of getting broken, so think carefully!
This is common issues to this coffee maker type. So to minimize the risk of it, seek a lid with a strong seal. You can check it out. Check the seal and consider its matching with carafe to make sure that there won’t be any coffee spilled all over your counter.
Washing With Dishwasher Allowance
Ask yourself whether cleaning the machine with dishwasher matter with you? As there are some items which are dishwasher-safe while others are not. So be sure about this then read through the product specifications.
Similarly to fragility, this is a big concern. As I mentioned earlier, French Presses requires you to boil the water for brewing and in the end, the coffee is warm or not depends on whether or not your container is able to retain that heat. However, this is only matter when you plan to bring coffee to working place, requiring long waiting time.
All Stainless-Steel Models Or All Plastic Models?
This is a big consideration. Most people seem to support stainless steel models because of their retention ability and durability as well. However, they are not designed with neat windows for you to check the brewing and they require big amount. All plastic models, on the other hand, are not as durable as the stainless still ones, but in lower price point.
The Top-Rated French Press Picks of 2018
SterlingPro French Coffee Press 8 Cup (1 liter, 34 oz) Chrome
In the French Press coffee industry, the SterlingPro is, without question, the best of the best in the industry. While relatively cheap in accordance to other makers, the features of this machine and the quality of coffee is second to none. If you are seeking a true French Press Machine, look no further than the SterlingPro French Coffee Press.
- The machine can handle 1 liter or 34 ounces of coffee that is made from the highest grade of materials: borosilicate glass.
- Often times with French Press Machines, the makers struggle to remove all of the coffee grounds. If you seeking a smooth and unhindered cup of coffee, the SterlingPro removes all grounds ensuring your happiness with your cup of coffee.
- The machine comes provided with two replacement screens, which is always perfect to have on board.
Kona French Coffee Maker
A very close competitor to the SterlingPro is the Konda French Press Coffee, Tea and Espresso Maker. This 34oz Glass teapot has stolen the attention away from the SterlingPro and could be considered the next greatest in the industry. With some of the most notable features at such an affordable price, many reviewers don’t look back.
- Many French Press Machines are very delicate and made of finite glass. While the Kona French Coffee Maker stays true to the tradition, it features a protective and sleek design around the glass. This feature will protect the delicate glass through each brewing process.
- Due to the protective and beautiful exterior features, this machine will compliment any kitchen counter. In fact, guests may be jealous and want to buy one of their own.
- There are numerous French Press Machines that lack in extracting the perfect cup of coffee without the essential oils and grinds. The Kona brand has mastered the extraction process giving the user the perfect cup of coffee every time.
- If you are a traveler but love their French press machine, look no further! This machine is the perfect portable French Press for all different travels.
- Are you tired of cleaning up messes? Well, this machine is not only dishwasher safe, it also comes with a detachable filter system, which is perfect for easy clean ups.
Do you want an elegant and sleek looking machine that has impressed all coffee aficionados? The Kuissential 8-Cup Stainless Steel French Press has gathered the eyes of coffee lovers with its stainless design and delicious brewing capabilities. This machine is fairly priced in the market and matches many of the other machines on this list. Let’s take a look at its features:
- This machine comes built as a double walled stainless steel beast. This machine can be considered the sister machine of the SterlingPro French Press Machine. These are the only machines that can handle the optimal temperature of 195 degrees -205 degrees F
- Many complaints about other companies is from their delicate glass builds. Many reviewer have reported shattering their French Press Machines. This is made of strong stainless steel and is more durable than the glass machines other companies make.
- The exterior of the machine is made to appear like a mirror. This unique feature provides a luxurious touch that many other machines don’t offer.
- Since coffee cups are measured by 4oz, this machine can handle making 8 Cups of coffee per batch. This is profoundly amazing in comparison to other French Press Machines.
Another powerhouse in the industry is the Bodum Brazil 3 Cup French Press Coffee Maker, 12 ounce, black edition. While the machine is much smaller than other competitors, that does not detract away from the pure capacity to brew a powerful, rich and full-bodied cup of coffee. If you are content with a 3 cup French Press, take a look at these features:
- As mentioned before, this a 3 Cup-French Press Machine. As coffee is measured by 4 ounces, this machine is a 12 ounce machine with the intention of single serving cups of coffee. The intention behind this machine is not the quantity of brews but the quality of each brewed cup.
- The carafe, which is the exterior part of the French Press, is made from heat-resilient borosilicate glass.
- The machine was will to be easy-to-use and easy-to-clean. With dishwasher safe products, the user can easily place this in the dishwasher and allow the magic to happen. With minimum messes, don’t fret about cleaning up!
- The machine has a built-in 3-part stainless steel mesh filter, which is the perfect contraption for extracting all of the flavors and oils of a full-bodied coffee.
Secura 1500ML French Press Coffee Maker
The king of the French Pres Machines is making its stand among the list of Top-Rated French Press Makers: The Secura 1500 ML French Press Coffee Maker. Known as one of the largest French Press machines, Secura not only captured enthusiasts with its capacity but also with its sleek and mirror-like design. Without further explanation, let’s take a look at the features:
- One of the most notable features of this mammoth French Press Coffee Maker is it’s 1.5 Liter capacity. This is larger than any maker on this list, thus far. This means it can handle producing more cups of coffee than any other machine. To be precise, over 12 cups of coffee can be made from the Secura.
- The machine was designed with precision and beauty. Made from the highest quality of 18/10 stainless steel – this machine is built to last a life-time.
- Like other machine, this comes built with a 3-layered stainless steel filter structure. This is the perfect composition to extract and brew the perfect and smoothest cup of coffee. If you are seeking a refined taste, stack your screens. This also allows for an easier cleaning process.
- Many other French Press Machines come with handles that are affected by the temperature of the boiling water. This machine comes with a “Cool” touch handle feature. Instead of risking burning your hands, your hands are safe and cool with Secura.
Bodum New Kenya
When you see a product with the brand “Bodum” on it, you know that it is a trustworthy product that you can buy. Winning numerous awards for the best French Press makers, Bodum has done it again with the New Kenya addition. Let’s take a look into the features of the award winning company Bodum’s New Kenya French Press Coffee Maker.
- The Bodum New Kenya comes with a beautiful and modern design that is a beautiful accent to any kitchen. With a heat-resilient borosilicate glass exterior and plastic wrapping, your guests will be asking where you bought that piece of luxury.
- Unlike other French Presses in the industry, this machine comes with a stainless-steel 3 piece filter system, not paper. This allows for the coffee to maintain it’s true flavor and oils, giving the drink a full-bodied coffee.
- The machine can handle a maximum of 34 ounces, which is either 3 mugs of coffee or 8 four ounce cups of coffee, which is standard.
The last French Press Machine that made the Top-Rated list is the LeMeileaur French Press Coffee Maker- Shatter Proof. With a sleek and beautiful design, this machine has ridden the reviews to the top of numerous coffee enthusiast’s’ lists. The exterior design is simply the brink of greatness that awaits the user. Let’s take a peek at the features of this beautiful French Press Machine.
- As discussed before, many other competing French Press Machines are made from different glasses and plastic. While this can be beneficial in design aspects – LeMeileaur has developed one of the most unique features of all French Press Machines: shatterproof. The machine is built with rust-resistant 18/10 stainless steel, making it the perfect French Press maker to travel with. The price will reflect this.
- What is so beautiful about this piece of machinery is that it is extremely easy to use and clean. Out of hundreds of reviews, everyone can agree on this notion. There is no struggle to clean or understand how part attach.
- With the reusable stainless steel filter screen system, you are actually doing your part to be eco-friendly. Rather than paper, this stainless-steel system allows for the true flavors and oils of the grinds to infuse with your cup of coffee. In other words, every cup of coffee made from this machine will be rich and full-bodied.
- Another unique feature with this machine is it’s double wall system. The purpose of this is to protect the user from extreme temperatures while also keeping the coffee warm for an extended period of time. What is even more beneficial is that it includes a doble screen system as well. This means minimum or nearly zero coffee grinds remaining in your coffee.
- If you are ever unhappy with your product by LeMeileaur, they will refund you your money. This is another benefit as many other companies do not offer this service.