Unless you are an absolute coffee PURIST, then you don’t mind adding a shot of flavor to your coffee every now and then. Coffee is incredibly versatile in that sense – just a few squirts of coffee syrup and the rich flavor and aroma of the coffee combines flawlessly with what you put in it.
Of course, the flavor profiles have to match in some way, but that goes without saying.
If you’ve picked up a flavored latte or iced coffee from your favorite coffee shop, you probably have seen the barista squirting a syrup into your coffee after pouring the frothed or iced milk on the espresso shot.
Because the liquid is so hot, the syrup dissipates quite quickly throughout the mixture, but I have experienced that the bottom of the cup is always much more strongly flavored than the first few sips. A quick stir would fix that, of course, but don’t destroy the bubbles!
You don’t have to go to a coffee shop to enjoy these beverages, though.
The awesome thing is that you can pick up coffee syrups from Amazon or your supermarket(if they stock them) and make flavored coffee at home, too!
If you’re a coffee shop owner looking to see what to stock, this list will help you too.
Coffee syrup brands
There are 5 major brands as far as coffee syrups go:
- Ghirardelli: The famous Italian chocolatier Ghirardelli makes unmistakably delicious syrups you can use in coffee to give them an instant burst of flavor
- Monin: Another big name in syrups, Monin also have a line of organic and all natural syrups
- Dolce: The Italian company Dolce makes sweet coffee syrups to add a depth of love and sweetness to your coffees
- DaVinci Gourmet: DaVinci Gourmet offers sugar free and all natural syrups
- Torani: Torani syrups are a mix of traditional flavors you’d expect to find everywhere and some truly unique ones(which you may not find too appetizing in coffee! Chicken n’ waffles, anyone?)
Note: I have personally used Torani and quite enjoyed the coffee – the syrup I was using was caramel.
- Bring home signature Starbucks café flavor with Starbucks Naturally Flavored syrups and sauces. Elevate your morning coffee
- Starbucks Naturally Flavored Vanilla Syrup has a sweet and rich flavor, Caramel Syrup has a smooth and buttery flavor, and Hazelnut Syrup has a rich and nutty flavor flavor
- Starbucks syrups and sauces pair perfectly with your favorite Starbucks coffee
- Add one tablespoon to your 12-oz. coffee for a splash of smooth and buttery caramel flavor
- This variety pack includes two bottles of Vanilla, one of Hazelnut and one of Caramel flavored coffee syrup
- COFFEE FLAVOR VARIETY PACK: Perfect for making your own flavored lattes, mochas & cappuccinos, this variety pack includes 1 bottle of each: Caramel Classic, French Vanilla, Vanilla & Hazelnut Classic.
- GOLD STANDARD OF FLAVOR: Made with pure cane sugar, natural flavors & cold-filtered water, Torani Original Syrups provide gold-standard flavors & vibrant colors to create amazing drink experiences.
- EMBRACE YOUR INNER FLAVORISTA: We make a wide array of syrups & sauces in tantalizing flavors to help you create your own homemade coffeehouse favorites, fruity delights & custom soda creations.
- AUTHENTIC COFFEEHOUSE FLAVOR: From caramel to French vanilla to hazelnut-& everything in between-our syrups & sauces are here to help you create tantalizing lattes, cappuccinos, cold brews & frappes.
- MIX UP SOME MAGIC: Discover how our syrups can help you make truly creative flavored teas, lemonades, smoothies, Italian sodas, coffees, cocktails, mocktails, snow cones, sparkling waters & more!
- 1 - 25.4 FL OZ (750ml) bottle of each flavor - Mocha, French Vanilla, and Caramel syrup for coffee - 3 coffee syrup pump included; 100% Vegan, Gluten-Free, No Artificial Sweeteners, No Artificial Flavors, No High Fructose Corn Syrup, Made with Real Sugar
- CARAMEL SYRUP - The flavor of toasted sugar combined with smooth butter is intoxicating in our Caramel Flavored Syrup by complimenting current flavors with a hint of salt, we've developed a timeless flavor Our gourmet Caramel Flavored Syrup has been perfectly formulated with premium ingredients to transcend the taste of an ordinary beverage. Create the perfect flavor by using our Flavored Syrups, Flavored Sauces or our Shakeable Toppings
- MOCHA SYRUP - Enjoy the bold and decadently rich taste of our Mocha Flavored Syrup. Use a little or a lot. No matter the amount, it is the perfect addition for chocolate lovers everywhere
- FRENCH VANILLA SYRUP - French Vanilla ranks as one of the most sought after flavors preferred by specialty coffee enthusiasts. Delivering notes of fresh vanilla beans, our French Vanilla Flavored Syrups is an everlasting favorite flavor that is both sweet and creamy
- Our gourmet Flavored Syrup have been perfectly formulated with premium ingredients to transcend the taste of an ordinary beverage. Create the perfect flavor by using our Flavored Syrups, Flavored Sauces or our Shakeable Toppings
- GREAT FOR COFFEE, TEA, AND LATTES: Be your own barista and make café-quality coffee at home! Sample 5 of Monin's best sellers for coffee with this gourmet collection and make your favorite flavored specialty coffee beverages right at home.
- TASTING NOTES: Entice your senses with Amaretto, Hazelnut, Caramel, Irish Cream, and Vanilla Syrups in your favorite hot or cold drinks, desserts, and more.
- SPECIFICATIONS: Made with Pure Cane Sugar and Natural Flavors. GMO Free, Vegan, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, and Kosher.
- SYRUP TO SUPPORT BEE COLONIES: Colony Collapse Disorder is greatly reducing bee populations worldwide. Our syrup recycling initiative has been sending waste syrup to feed bees since 2008, and has fed over 374 billion bees!
- GREEN PACKAGING & LABELING: With BPA free bottles, 100% recyclable boxes comprised of 30% recycled content, printed with biodegradable water-based ink containing zero pollutants, and pulp inserts, we're doing our part for the environment.
Best coffee syrup flavors
Flavors are a matter of personal preference, but these flavors are evergreen and enjoyed almost universally, so they get honorable mention at the very start of our list:
Vanilla is the “classic” flavor for everything, be it ice cream, chocolate, or coffee! Tim Horton’s of Canada has become legendary for it’s maybe-not-so-French Vanilla coffee, and almost all coffee shops utilize the rich, soothing taste of vanilla in one way or another.
The best thing about vanilla is that it’s a starter flavor and can be combined with other flavors to create even more depth and texture. Try mixing it with chocolate or strawberries and your coffee will taste like a cake!
Coming in at a close second, almost neck and neck with vanilla is caramel. There is a coffee chain called Second Cup who make a latte called the caramel coretto – that coffee is my FAVORITE latte and I’d take a Caramel Coretto any day over any other chain-bought coffee.
Caramel syrups are usually classic caramel and salted caramel, which has an added kick when you feel the salty and sweet dance on your tongue. If you like salted caramel chocolate, you will most likely enjoy a hint of salted caramel in your coffee, too.
Finally, we have hazelnut – the nut in the list! Hazelnut has a very creamy, chocolatey flavor as it is – look at how popular Nutella and Ferrero Rochers are! Hazelnut coffee adds hint of nuttiness to your coffee and if you like their flavor profile, hazelnut coffee can really perk you up. Personally, I find hazelnut to be a little too strong when mixed with coffee.
Butterscotch is quite similar to caramel, but it has that distinct buttery, dairy depth to it that caramel just doesn’t have. If you give me a choice between butterscotch and caramel on an ice cream, I’d prefer butterscotch any day! Butter coffee seems to be quite the rage these days, so perhaps butterscotch syrup may be a cool thing to try.
Chocolate syrups may seem like a strange addition to a hot coffee, but they’re a neat way to top up a mocha iced coffee.
Mint syrups add a icy, cool hint to your coffee. Starbucks does quite well with their popular peppermint iced coffees in the winter season! They would certainly spruce up a cold or iced coffee, but for me, it was hit or miss in hot coffee. Mint by nature is a cool sensation, so the mixing of hot and cool was a little neutralizing.
Dessert flavored syrups include gingerbread, pumpkin spice, and other popular desserts – personally, I am not a huge fan of these flavors, as I enjoy the dessert itself more! But if you like your coffee tasting like your favorite dessert, then there’s certainly nothing wrong with trying these out!
Last update on 2019-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API